NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

So I got PULLED OVER at 3am in PHILLY for no reason..................

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 06:23 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got PULLED OVER at 3am in PHILLY for no reason..................

I got pulled over Saturday night at about 3am for pulling up to a gas pump to get gas......

Technically I guess I kind of pulled over by myself because I was already parked at the pump when the cop pulled up behind me, at first I just thought he was going to get gas too until he turned on his lights!!!!! I was like WTF.....

Officer pulled up as I was getting out of my car and said "what are you doing here....? Can I see your license, where are you coming from, where are you going?" I was totally shocked and taken off guard, plus it was freezing cold outside so I was shivering, he probably thought I was scared or trying to hide something.

I say: "I'm here at the gas station to get gas"
Officer says: "the gas station is closed"
I say: "Yes but I'm using my credit card so it's cool"
Officer says: "are you getting smart with me?"
I say: "No Sir., I'm just answering your question"

After I hand him my ID he snatches it and goes back to his car and tells me to get back into my car.. Then two more cops show up with their lights on too.. At this point i'm like WHAT THA FFFFFFFFFFF... Then they're like so did you have anything to drink? I say no... And the two other cops are looking in my car with flash lights and interrogating my girl who barely speaks english, then the one cop says to her "DO I smell Alcohol??" I'm like Oh god they're trying to set me up to give me a DUI... Then they asked for her ID even though she was just a passenger in my car...

After 30 minutes of them wasting my time they gave me back our ID's and let us go. Philly is fun.....

Last edited by llllllllll; 03-30-09 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-30-09, 06:25 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

u can pump gas when they are closed?
Old 03-30-09, 06:30 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by excluesive
u can pump gas when they are closed?

A lot of gas stations leave their pumps on so you can pay with credit card when the gas station is closed.

Is that an unknown fact or something because apparently this cop didn't know either?
Old 03-30-09, 07:53 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

they were just bored.
Old 03-30-09, 08:11 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I hate cops with a passion! Power corrupts and these cops have got no accountability. I once wrote a letter to the Sherrif about an incident in which a cop pulled a gun out at me and I received no reply. Can you believe that? I sent it certified mail as well...
Old 03-30-09, 09:12 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
they were just bored.
Yeah I think so too.. Donno why they gotta bug me though
Dunkin Doughnuts is open 24/7, and there's gotta be crimes happening somewhere...

Originally Posted by Zinda
I hate cops with a passion! Power corrupts and these cops have got no accountability.

Could have been worse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipb_PeXOdT4

Old 03-30-09, 09:27 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

next time if they dont tell you why your being pulled over ask if you fit the desciption of some there looking for they love that one lol
Old 03-30-09, 11:55 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Yeah I think so too.. Donno why they gotta bug me though
Dunkin Doughnuts is open 24/7, and there's gotta be crimes happening somewhere...

Could have been worse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipb_PeXOdT4

no sympathy for the girl.. you wanna put up a fight.. expect to get a fight... ok.. damn.. maybe that was excessive.

I get pulled over frequently for no reason but they'll often make one up. My favorite no reason citation was when I got pulled over after coming from inside of a diner and getting into my car then getting a ticket slipped between my license and my insurance card for doing 70mph apparently 7 hours before. All this happened before I even got to put my car into reverse. I have nothing against cops though, there are some great ones, and some bad ones, unfortunately people tend to remember the negative more...
Old 03-31-09, 05:22 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<----Hate cops. But dont blame it on Philly. Some people are just pure @**holes cop or no cop.
Old 03-31-09, 07:39 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

A lot of gas stations leave their pumps on so you can pay with credit card when the gas station is closed.

Is that an unknown fact or something because apparently this cop didn't know either?
i had no idea they left the pumps on.
Old 03-31-09, 01:09 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pmpdaddyt
i had no idea they left the pumps on.
Same here, I don't think it's a common practice at all and the cop would have good reason to want to question a car parked at a closed gas station. Think of the money you could make if you devised a way to install and remove these devices every night on every pump after the station closed.

Pain at the Pump: Identity Theft & Gas Stations

The biggest pinch consumers may be feeling at the gas pump might not be from high gas prices. Instead it might come from an unlikely source: identity theft. That’s right. When consumers swipe their cards, they may be purchasing more than just gas. Recent incidents in California, Nevada, Washington, Pennsylvania and Delaware have authorities wondering how long this new face of identity theft will last. The payoff for thieves is huge, while the effort is minimal. Here’s everything you need to know to protect yourself from being victimized at the pump.

How They Do It

Gas pump identity thieves install skimmers (small electronic devices that gather and store all credit or ATM card data) either to the outside or, in some cases, the inside of gas pumps. These skimmers look so much like the originals used by gas stations that they’re hard for the naked eye to detect. In order to gain access to pin numbers, thieves either install tiny (pin hole) cameras to capture pin numbers as customers type them in or they affix fake keypads on top of the real ones that will read the key strokes and capture the pin code.

Thieves then leave these skimmers attached to pumps for one month or more before removing them—and collecting data for thousands of credit cards. Then, the thieves either sell the credit card information on the internet or they make fraudulent duplicate cards with victim’s account numbers and expiration dates. In one documented case, thieves left the same skimmer attached to a single gas pump in Washington for eleven months. Then they came back and retrieved the device and drained hundreds of bank accounts in a single weekend.

Because gas pump checkouts don’t involve a cashier, identity thieves find them to be an easy point of access to steal countless credit and ATM card numbers. In May, an investigation was opened into a case in San Jose California in which thieves stole more than $200,000 from 180 victims. But authorities estimate that between $1 million and $3.5 million has been stolen from victims of gas pump identity theft in five states over recent months.

What You Can Do to Protect Yourself

1. Don’t use ATM cards at the gas pump. Obviously, the safest form of payment is always cash even though it’s not always realistic. But before you reach for your ATM card for the sake of convenience, there are a few things you might want to consider. First, checking account fraud is one of the most difficult forms of identity theft to deal with because thieves continue to have access to the funds in your bank account until the account is frozen or closed. If an account is frozen during an investigation that means you no longer have access to your own money. Secondly, ATM cards are not federally insured the way credit cards are. So, in the event of identity theft you will most likely get your money back but it will take time. Depending on the amount stolen, that may or may not present a hardship for you. Since credit card fraud is a lot easier to clean up than ATM card fraud, it is recommended that you always use a credit card and never use an ATM card for purchases in potentially vulnerable locations like gas pumps.

2. Whenever possible, always use the pump closest to the cashier. Since installing skimmers on gas pumps would take some time, even the most oblivious gas station attendant would likely notice that kind of commotion if it was happening at the pump closest to him or her. So, that makes the pump closest to the attendant the least likely to be tampered with. If the pump closest to the attendant isn’t available, and you’re in a hurry, do whatever you can to avoid the pumps furthest from the attendant as those are the most likely to be tampered with.

3. Be on the lookout for anything suspicious about the payment process. Try to use the same gas stations during your weekly routine whenever possible. That way you can study their machines and become familiar with the card slot, keypad and other features. In the event that a gas pump is tampered with, you’ll be more likely to notice. If something looks or seems even slightly off, alert the gas station attendant immediately and tell them you think the pump may have been compromised by fraudulent skimmers.

4. When possible, look for sticker sealed gas pumps and use them. Although sticker sealed gas pumps aren’t completely tamper proof, they offer more protection than an unsealed gas pump. Since most gas pump identity thieves actually open the gas pumps and install fraudulent skimmers, a broken seal is a dead giveaway that a machine has been tampered with. Because of this many identity thieves avoid sticker sealed gas pumps and many law enforcement agencies are pushing for gas stations to use sticker sealed pumps to help reduce the success rate of identity theft at gas pumps.

5. Check your credit card and/or ATM card statements regularly. Checking your monthly statements is one of the quickest ways to spot identity theft and credit or check card fraud. By keeping a ledger of all of your purchases in a given month, and comparing your statement to that ledger, you are insuring that purchases you didn’t make won’t go unnoticed.

While becoming a victim of gas pump identity theft isn’t completely unavoidable, being informed—and following the five steps listed above—will greatly reduce your risk. Make sure you aren’t paying for more than just gas next time you pull up to the gas pump.
Old 03-31-09, 08:52 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

I got pulled over Saturday night at about 3am for pulling up to a gas pump to get gas......

Technically I guess I kind of pulled over by myself because I was already parked at the pump when the cop pulled up behind me, at first I just thought he was going to get gas too until he turned on his lights!!!!! I was like WTF.....

Officer pulled up as I was getting out of my car and said "what are you doing here....? Can I see your license, where are you coming from, where are you going?" I was totally shocked and taken off guard, plus it was freezing cold outside so I was shivering, he probably thought I was scared or trying to hide something.

After I hand him my ID he snatches it and goes back to his car and tells me to get back into my car.. Then two more cops show up with their lights on too.. At this point i'm like WHAT THA FFFFFFFFFFF... Then they're like so did you have anything to drink? I say no... And the two other cops are looking in my car with flash lights and interrogating my girl who barely speaks english, then the one cop says to her "DO I smell Alcohol??" I'm like Oh god they're trying to set me up to give me a DUI... Then they asked for her ID even though she was just a passenger in my car...

After 30 minutes of them wasting my time they gave me back our ID's and let us go. Philly is fun.....
damn where in philly? cause i know in south philly cops dont give a **** lol
Old 04-01-09, 06:10 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wowitztai
damn where in philly? cause i know in south philly cops dont give a **** lol

LoL yeah I know, I'm in south/center city and I drove around for like 2 weeks without a license plate and no one bothered me, I even had a cop driving RIGHT BEHIND me for at least 6 or 7 stop lights and I knew I was going to get pulled but he didn't. LOL

And this one time during the big snow storm my truck was hit when someone slid into it, the cop that took care of the incident put a ticket on my windshield. When I came out and saw that I got ticketed i was pissed off and wondering why I got a ticket... But it was a good ticket, on the ticket it said "you've been hit! case number xxxxx" sweet! South philly cops are pretty cool.

The ahole cop that pulled me over with north east philly cop, there is all kinds of bad stuff happening up there so I can kinda get it.
Old 04-01-09, 06:48 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always have my courtesy card handy....... My uncle is swat here in Philly. That card got me out of doin 98 on the turnpike , Trooper that pulled me over grew up in the same neighborhood as my uncle .......... He let me go with a warning .
Old 04-01-09, 07:50 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phillygs3
I always have my courtesy card handy....... My uncle is swat here in Philly. That card got me out of doin 98 on the turnpike , Trooper that pulled me over grew up in the same neighborhood as my uncle .......... He let me go with a warning .

You should bring the card if we ever finally meet up.

=)