MD Freeway Speed Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 06:25 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MD Freeway Speed Cameras

Maryland Legislature Approves Statewide, Freeway Speed Cameras
Maryland legislature approves massive expansion of speed cameras.

Governor Martin OMalleyThe Maryland General Assembly yesterday gave final approval to a measure that will expand the use of speed cameras to every part of the state, allowing cameras on high-volume freeways for the first time. Lawmakers in Annapolis, at the urging of Governor Martin O'Malley (D), saw the measure as an essential means of reining in the state's run-away budget deficit. Traffic camera vendors also helped promote the effort with lavish gifts, parties and campaign donations.

The new legislation specifically authorizes the use of speed cameras anywhere in the state up to one-half a mile away from a school zone. School zone cameras can operate as late as 8pm and ticket motorists regardless of whether school is in session. It also creates a statewide freeway camera program designed to be used in so-called "work zones" where the speed limit is lowered, regardless of whether workers are actually present. On a freeway that ordinarily has a 55 MPH speed limit, for example, citations would be issued to anyone driving 57 MPH in the lowered speed zone. For-profit private companies are authorized to take charge of all aspects of the program.

Lawmakers turned aside a number of amendments intended to clarify the true purpose of the program. One rejected provision would have returned any profit from the program to the public in the form of a tax credit. Another would have required weekly calibrations be performed to ensure the accuracy of the tickets. Lawmakers also rejected an amendment that would have ensured that state legislators were not exempt from receiving photo radar tickets. They also turned down an amendment that would have printed on each ticket the names of lawmakers responsible for voting the camera bill into law.

The only limitation adopted was a provision limiting cities from using speed cameras to increase their general fund budgets by more than ten percent. This amendment was aimed at Chevy Chase, which doubled its annual revenue with photo ticketing.

After Governor O'Malley signs the bill it will take effect October 1. A copy of the legislation is available in a 350k PDF file at the source link below.
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/27/2744.asp
Old 04-15-09, 06:35 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

And so it begins...........so this measure is basically to get money and is only in effect for school zones and construction areas on 495/95?
Old 04-15-09, 06:55 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, i just switched to MD plates, now i'm wishing i hadn't... i wonder how sensitive they will set them too... if anyone hears please let us know.
Old 04-15-09, 07:13 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dam. Guess I'll really be rollin low and slow now. lol

Hopefully they wont do it to Route 50

-Smitty
Old 04-15-09, 07:33 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
Dam. Guess I'll really be rollin low and slow now. lol

Hopefully they wont do it to Route 50

-Smitty
I know right, well hopefully there's no construction there anytime soon lol. No 50 no care might as well go N/A
Old 04-15-09, 07:47 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

hgwy 50 and 97 i usually average about 80mph on so i really hope they don't mess with either of these...
Old 04-15-09, 08:10 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You best trust and believe that 50 and 97 are most likely gonna be amongst the FIRST ones to be targeted. Just because you aren't getting hassled at the present moment on these 2 roads, doesnt mean that they are not aware of what is going on out there. 50, for the longest time, has been a hotbed of speed due to the long straightaways, and is also a favorite spot to create revenue for tickets. Think about it, a camera system that WILL write tickets, on a popular highway known for speed, and lessen the need for officer intervention,, yeah so it begins.
Old 04-15-09, 08:17 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I dont think it matters where your plates are from. they will mail you a ticket.
I remember getting one when I first got here and they mailed a ticket to my folks house back in Texas.

The only good part is you cannot get points from a camera. It just kind of dissapears along with your money. =)
Old 04-15-09, 08:45 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah my very first trip to MD when i was thinking about moving out to Annapolis, this cop was standing out in the emergency lane on the inner part near the fast lane and just stepped out infront of my car when i was doing like 77 mph's, so i moved over to the right one lane, and the cop just walked over one lane as well... well trying not to hit the officer i moved back to the fast lane and so did he,, i slammed on my brakes and came a few feet from hitting the person who i could now tell was a cop, but that shiz seemed real dangerous to me,, i hear they have since stopped doing this technique.

i don't think the cameras will stop or slow down any of the street bikes that fly down 50 doing 120 mph wheelies... i hope not at least cuz they are fun to watch.
Old 04-15-09, 11:58 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I let a friend of mine drive my car thru D.C. a while back and I received a nice present in the mail. I wasn't even in the car at the time.

Last edited by LRoy430ul; 04-17-09 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-15-09, 12:12 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

It's going to suck driving through md on a road trip.
Old 04-15-09, 12:20 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoLe
It's going to suck driving through md on a road trip.

LOL, MD isn't a whole lot of fun to drive through now.
Old 04-15-09, 02:30 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate MD
the reason we have the defecit in the first place is O'malley's dumb *** and his runaway spending

this place sucks. ive heard theyre sensitive to 2mph over the speed limit.
Old 04-15-09, 03:05 PM
hkmember23
Driver

I got 2 speeding tickets within 35 minutes in Rockville a few months back thanks to these cameras. I just need to know where exactly they will install them because I go to MD all the time.

--Vince
Old 04-15-09, 05:51 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

martin o'malley can suck it.
i hate that man more than anything in this world. hes the antichrist...
if i saw him on the street id sock him right in the face..

hey MD! lets blame YOU for the defecit that I caused!

Quick Reply: MD Freeway Speed Cameras