NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Pulled over for Tint off 66

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 01:09 PM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulled over for Tint off 66

Be careful folks. Got some cops strolling for trouble around there, near the Rosslyn exit. He even told me not to challenge the ticket. If I did, he'll also make a note in the citation that my DL is from out of state - and will somehow get me for the DL. After driving around town with fear and apprehension, for a couple of weeks, I've decided to bring a heat gun to the front side windows.

No worries, she still looks good
Old 05-18-09, 01:32 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The threat is a nice touch. Cops are jerks.
Old 05-18-09, 05:25 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't ya love it when the budgets are tight and they try to close the deficit by running down illegal tint...lol...only thousand more to go and he can keep his job and justify his salary. Good thing they are not patrolling for REAL crime who knows what might happen!

Got pulled last year on Greenway then tried to bust me on the exhaust too got up all under the car too...$80 thank you very much!
Old 05-18-09, 07:38 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, that is harsh. I always thought tint was a "Tier 2" ticket, meaning that they can't bust you for it unless you get pulled for something else. Given the number of NoVA drivers with illegal tint on their cars, they must really be hurting for revenue. You sure you didn't do something else to catch his attention?

I would have left the tint on, btw.
Old 05-18-09, 07:53 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

I have been waiting to get pulled over for my tint. I think its like 15% all the way around. Came on the car when I got it.

I think the only thing that is helping me is that I kept my WV plates when I moved to VA.
Old 05-19-09, 04:57 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chancellor
I have been waiting to get pulled over for my tint. I think its like 15% all the way around. Came on the car when I got it.
I have 5% all the way around and trust me, I'm not waiting to get pulled over. If it's 15% you have, that's still enough for them to ticket you. I realize that there is a chance to get a ticket "just because". I think other things that a cop observes you do or have will warrant them to slap you with a tint ticket. Where I worked at, I usually grabbed coffee at Dunkin Donuts and there is a building half a block away where the state troopers reside. I always come off the highway, pass the trooper building in order to get DD and never got pulled over. I always try to not give them a reason to ticket me because of the tints.
Old 05-19-09, 05:06 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Originally Posted by montgb
Man, that is harsh. I always thought tint was a "Tier 2" ticket, meaning that they can't bust you for it unless you get pulled for something else. Given the number of NoVA drivers with illegal tint on their cars, they must really be hurting for revenue. You sure you didn't do something else to catch his attention?

Thought so too...Actually state trooper specifically told me "I pulled you over for the tint" he actually walked over with his tint meter. It was 2% over the limit, THEN he decided to try and find more issues but couldn't.

I get the safety thing and all but comeon I know this is PURELY a revenue generator. Oh well. Have the designation on most my cars now so I am "safe".
Old 05-19-09, 06:04 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been pulled over a few times for tint on my other cars in VA (Vienna area). A cop stopped rush hour traffic to pull me over on 123 (chain bridge)! Don't give them any reason to get you. Also, no they don't need any other reason besides you having dark tint!
Old 05-19-09, 06:38 AM
ceelo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
I have been pulled over a few times for tint on my other cars in VA (Vienna area). A cop stopped rush hour traffic to pull me over on 123 (chain bridge)! Don't give them any reason to get you. Also, no they don't need any other reason besides you having dark tint!
Another area they like to get people is the on / off ramps on the toll road during rush hour because it backs up. They'll get you for things like tint, exhaust, inspection sticker, out of date tags, etc., etc.

I also thought that tint was a secondary ticket, but that has obviously changed. Oh well, I'm fairly close to legal so I think I'll be okay
Old 05-19-09, 06:47 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got a ticket for tint + exhaust back in 01 for my old car in fairfax county and more recently i got 3 tint tickets $80 each in 1.5 years on my previous gs400 which had 2% tint, 2 tickets in fairfax county and 1 in loudoun county (haters). I read VA law said that if the tint is within 10% of the law its at the cops discretion to ticket or not but you can actually fight it and win if its within 10% of the legal limit. in MD they write you a ticket to have it removed or replaced, not just an easy pay online fine like VA, but VA cops are dicks and MD cops seem pretty chill so far to me.
Old 05-19-09, 06:56 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

CT has the 35% side windows thing going, no windshield, unlimited back. I purposely got 35% on the side windows for that reason. I had 20% on my integra 3 years ago or so and I used to get looked at funny and got a warning ticket one. My audi had tint from the previous owner, it wasn't 50% but it wasn't 35% either, so I never got bothered. This is what can happen here...

1) Warning with no fix it.
2) Fix it ticket...has to get inspected at main dmv.
3) Violation ticket with fix it ticket. Has to get inspected.

With the integra I only got a warning, but considering it's a GS and how funny they look at everyone in this town, I'd bet I'd get 3 with this car if it was blatently illegal.
Old 05-19-09, 07:33 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I got a Tint ticket in FFX county like 2 years ago. I tried to argue that I live in MD where my car is also registered. Cop said it doesn't matter. I only had to pay $80 fine. Revenue was the motive. Funny thing is this dude pulled me over in front of a 7/11 with a bunch of illegals waiting on work and he's sitting there harrasing a veteran.
Old 05-19-09, 07:58 AM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Was pulled over on 66W just past the Monument Dr. overpass near Fair Oaks Mall. State Popo pulled me over AT NIGHT and said my tint was too dark. Put the meter on it (I have 35% all around). I said I bought the car used from MD, came back and told me to 'take care of it' ... no ticket ....... dillweed.
Old 05-19-09, 08:38 AM
howat
Pole Position

Think the cop was giving me a chance by doing the following:

Trailed me for around 2 minutes.
Pulled beside me for 15 seconds.
Slowed down, got behind me again for another minute.
Then the blue and red lights came on with the god awful horn.

My naivety prevented me from realizing I had tint problem, since I've been driving around town for the last 2 years without hassle. If I would of known the tint is an issue, I would of popped the 2 front windows and the sunroof to allow light in.
Initially, I did not want to remove my tint. However, driving around with fear, popping windows in the cold and rain , I feel, is not a sustainable solution.

BTW, when he dropped the photon meter on my windows, he claimed only 11% of light traveled through the windows, which is not physically possible. At that point in time, he realized his meter is full of crap and might of been broke. That is probably when he decided to use the treat technique.
I know it's a Cali car and all, but 11% will prevent me from driving the vehicle and seeing the side of the car.

Lastly, I've had nothing but terrible encounters with NoVA cops. They treat me like human trash. Why oh why?

Originally Posted by montgb

Old 05-19-09, 09:42 AM
PandaIS250
Lexus Test Driver

I got 35% all around..included windshield..and I got the free pass

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/med20.pdf

Quick Reply: Pulled over for Tint off 66