NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

So How's VA Beach

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 03:56 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So How's VA Beach

Thinking about spending some days over in Virginia Beach with the wifey sometime this summer and need to know if it's worth heading out there. It's been several years since I've been down there and I can remember that it wasn't all that. I did the whole Colonial Williamsburg thing but I was left yawning while there. Other than the beach and perhaps Kings Dominion, is there anything else that will make it worthwhile to go down. Thanks!
Old 06-09-09, 04:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

If you don't mind going an extra hour or so, the Outer Banks south of VA Beach has better beach for a couple (IMO). My brother lives in VA Beach and if you end up going I can get you some recommendations on places to eat, etc.

If you find boats / ships interesting, there are a couple of good museums down there.

http://www.mariner.org/index.php?oatsad=29 is my favorite. Went there as a kid and was amazed by some of the stuff, now they have some very impressive restoration for civil war ironclads
Old 06-10-09, 06:00 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Kings Dominion is 2 hours away from VA Beach..if you decide to go plan ahead..the area is becoming popular again. I couldn't find a nice hotel last friday without a 2 day minimum....PM me on spots to hit..
Old 06-10-09, 06:12 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bush gardens and wolf lodge (indoor water park) is like 45 mins north in Williamsburg.
Old 06-10-09, 12:49 PM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went this past memorial day weekend with my g/f and had a pretty good time. Did a whole lot of walking/biking on the boardwalk and hit the beach.
Old 06-10-09, 06:08 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I remember going to Kings Dominion but actually I meant to say Busch Gardens in my earlier post (thanks Joe). I guess going to the beach and Busch Gardens will be good enough for us. I'll need to eat at a good seafood joint while there I remember this one big buffet place we went too that sucked big time. The bill came close to $70 but the food and selection was We had no idea that it would cost this much. We noticed a cop that apparently was working there in full uniform. I believed that the restaurant had the cop there cuz people were eating there and ditching the place w/o paying. Not sure but I know that I'll won't be going there. Thanks!
Old 06-10-09, 07:01 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in the Hampton Roads area, and like Dave said, the Outer Banks is a much better area if you're looking for beaches and less party/clubs/boardwalk strip atmosphere......which is the reason that most people in the VA beach area actually travel to the OBX for the weekend.

In terms of VA beach area, there's lots of museums to see, if you're in to that stuff. From the Air and Space Museum, to the Living Museum, to Nauticus, among others.

The nice thing about VA Beach is that it's part of the Hampton Roads area, which has a lot to offer to suit different tastes.