NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Sad day for the Lexus. =(

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 08:00 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about this man.. stupid kid, i hope he gets what he deserves and learns his lesson.. i understand your frustration bro and really i hope you get close to the amount of money that you dropped on your baby... it is ridiculous that you are getting the runaround messing with the other party but i hope it works out well and your baby is back on track in no time as long as it didnt suffer any frame damage.. if not, ill drive down for a weekend to help you part it out if it comes down to it...
Old 06-29-09, 09:38 AM
Scarlet300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your ride. Glad you are ok, here's to a quick recovery!
Old 06-29-09, 10:49 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Well its not looking to good guys. I have been on the phone all day with my insurance company and its not looking promising. =(

After further inspection of the car in good lighting. The rear quarters ARE buckled and we are debating wether or not the roof is creased. The whole left side of the car isnt lining up right you can tell in the door gaps. Guy hit me so hard that there is an imprint of his liscense plate on my rear bumper! Right now the verbal estimate is looking like $5000+ (thats just re-glassing the bumpers not replacing) and we havent even removed the bumper covers or popped the hood. There is some frame tweaking from the way the gaps look all around the car. As we all know the book value on GS's of my year arent that high. So Im thinking worse case scenario they are going to total her. Im hoping to get an adjuster that has half a brain and can see the cars value cant be compared to a stock car and she gets saved.

Ive been building this car for 2 years now and have moved around alot so I dont know where all my reciepts are. If anyone has any ability to help me get paperwork showing how much parts are on my car and make the insurance company understand its value, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the offer of help from everyone. If she is finished I dont think Ill be able to do this again. I cant believe I might loose my car because some dumb *** kid decided to take a joy ride and hit the wrong car. So word of warning to all you guys modifying older cars. Make sure your insurance company lets you make a stated value on your car. That way you dont end up in the same boat as me when something crazy like this happens to you.
Old 06-29-09, 12:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i don't always save a lot of receipts either but a lot if not almost all of my car parts/mods plus labor hours purchased in the last few years had been on a USAA credit card and it just happens to be the same company that gives me car insurance so they could see all of my purchases and dates and from what companies so i had a lot of proof when needing to submit it. my only advice is to get receipts and if you can't find them call up the shop or shops that had done work on your car and get them to reprint receipts which i have also had to do in the past and most shops are more than accommodating with this as long as they have the records, and if they don't have the records just tell them how much you loved their work and how you were going to bring your car back to them after you get the insurance monies and they will usually be a little more motivated to help you find the receipts...

usaa will prolly get the average going rate for your car (year, model, mileage) and then will add on all the aftermarket parts plus labor costs for installation and custom work minus a slight depreciation on the parts which in my 3 cases wasn't to bad to me only something like a 15% depreciation. so just guessing something like 8k for the car (i don't know your specific year and mileage just guesstimating so don't get pissed) plus say 3k for the wheels (that are damaged ) + 2k for the body kit that is damaged + 1k for paint and installation of said parts + suspension + stereo + all those extra jdm niceties you got + installation, so you could be looking at getting a 20k check and they will total out your ride at which point you could purchase back for say 7k and still have a 13k check for parts alone or you could take the 20k and start something new, its your check remember that. also if your neck hurts their insurance company will likely offer you a small amount of say an additional 3k to sign a paper saying that you will not press further on the strained neck and if you feel that this is worth your troubles you could take the extra money and be done with it or you could higher an attorney and hit them for even further physical, emotional, and mental stress's which could net you anywhere from 25-125k when its all said and done but this seems to be a slightly cheaper wussier way to go about it. i think you'll get at least 20k... just keep talking to the claims adjuster and be super friendly and super detailed when going over all the damages and get some receipts together... good luck,

Last edited by sojah; 06-29-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 12:11 PM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

get the lawyer and sue, kid was driving illegaly. come prepared to show msrp of every product.
Old 06-29-09, 12:54 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rides Low
get the lawyer and sue, kid was driving illegaly. come prepared to show msrp of every product.

working on it right now.

its just totally disheartening that my car could be gone just like that. ya know.

im gonna fight this tooth and nails all the way to the end.
Old 06-29-09, 01:24 PM
PandaIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rides Low
agreed..i think this is the best bet right now...that kid needs to learn his lesson!!!
Old 06-29-09, 04:00 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Wow sorry to hear this Joe, that is one heck of a nice car to total out. I hope it doesn't get totalled, glad you're ok. Good luck!
Old 06-30-09, 04:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah but if you think about it, the kid isn't the one who will be paying anything. the parents are liable for a his actions so if you sue and win the parents may loose their house just to pay the fine associated. just a thought before you talk all that sue sue sue business...
Old 06-30-09, 05:21 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
yeah but if you think about it, the kid isn't the one who will be paying anything. the parents are liable for a his actions so if you sue and win the parents may loose their house just to pay the fine associated. just a thought before you talk all that sue sue sue business...
true true, but ive been to nice in my previous accidents and ended up getting the short end of the stick most of the time. this is a sticky situation to be in right now. i may loose my car and the 2 year of hard work ive put into it just cuz some kid wanted to take a joy ride on a suspsended liscense and not pay attention. truthfully he and his parents shouldve been thrown in jail, but they didnt. since driving under a suspended liscense and allowing someone to drive your vehicle while having a suspended liscense is a misdemenor offense, punishable by jail time maximum 6 months.

parents being liable is a given. thats what parenting is. if your going to be driving around with the minimal insurance required by law expect to pay out of your pocket when something happens. thats why i have and pay for a butt ton of insurance. i am in no way trying to benifit from this accident in anyway. i just want what i had before the accident to be the way that is was or have something in equal value reciprocated. end of story.

ive have spent the last few days trying to source parts and document what is needed to rebuild my car if necessary and let me tell you it is A LOT of money not including the shipping time, labor and plan time it will take to do it.
Old 06-30-09, 08:11 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
and im sure this isnt the first time the kid has done wrong either. i would sue anyway. get what you can get.
Old 06-30-09, 04:40 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to hear that man glad you and your girl are ok
Old 07-01-09, 05:34 AM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have your intent correct; have a consult with a lawyer, usually first one is free, and identify some options and gather up as much receipts you can find. Also, get any pics, awards from shows, threads from CL that may show progress of the build etc.

Sorry I dont agree about not suing to preserve the parents assets. They are responsible for the actions of that child until he is of the age of majority and is no longer under their household. He also needs to be taught a lesson. Im tired of seeing this crap and watching it on the news where some young punk wraps himself and his best friend around a pole. If this keeps this guy off the street ALL THE BETTER! GET HIM!

<steps off soapbox>
Old 07-01-09, 06:59 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

did usaa get you in contact with any of their lawyers yet, or at least a claims adjuster?? any updates??
Old 07-01-09, 10:03 AM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

wow sorry to see your GS shaken up. glad to hear you both are ok. what a dumb cop. the scratch on the front of my SC is estimated at $918! your damage must be upwards of $2,000. you better get every penny from the retard that hit you. but i heard that if you get rearended and you hit the car in front of you you nedd to pay for that car, ehich doesnt seem fair at all. but good luck, and i hope to see the GS flawless again soon

Quick Reply: Sad day for the Lexus. =(