NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Good shops in CT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09 | 06:07 PM
MHarner
Driver School Candidate

Default Good shops in CT

Just bought a 99 GS400 off my father with a 138,000 miles. My mother did not drive the car hard, but due to age and lack luster care I would like to take it to a shop and see what needs to be done. I know the ball joints are notorious, and with LIMITED(I mean LIMITED) mechanical knowledge I feel I have diagnosed some things I would like to get replaced.

Anyway...after having it looked over I plan on ordering the parts through the marketplace here and DIYing what I feel comfortable with. The rest I will need professionally done, but would like to avoid the "stealership"....can anyone recommend anyone in the CT area? I am an even distance btwn any big city(aka Hartford, Stamford, etc.)

A quick question...will one mechanic do a better job than another telling me what work needs to be done on my car...or can my local Joe Schmoe do that?
Old 09-07-09 | 08:04 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure on a place that will specialize in your car, but I have 1 mechanic here in Stamford that I trust, due to his honesty. And other then him, the only other shop allowed to touch my car is my Toyota dealer. Granted, I still do most of my own work. And keep in mind, most Toyota dealers will work on a Lexus, and in some cases, will be a lot less then the Lexus dealer.