NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 01:15 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright here's an update on my transmission, took it a transmission shop and came back that there was no presurre in the front pack, he said he was unsure exactly where an would need to drop it and look so I might hold off and just buy a used one. He couldn't give me an estimate because he was unsure of what parts it needed and so far I found a used tranny to be around 750 so right now I'm undecided but thanks for all your guys help and suggestions. If you can help me out anyway please let me know, thanks.
Old 02-02-10, 01:38 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$750 is not a bad price for a tranny whats the mileage on it ? is it from an individual or shop ? what guarantee are they offering.
Old 02-02-10, 03:51 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

i found it online actually through ebay its 600+s&h which is about 150, there offering 1 yr warranty and it has about 45k on it. thats what i have found so far, if you come across one cheaper please let me know.
Old 02-02-10, 06:14 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Thats not a bad deal. I will keep you posted if something comes up. Thanks
Old 02-16-10, 09:34 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Back up post if you need help
Old 02-17-10, 06:35 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

On Friday my friend and I are going to change the Pads and Rotors on my 2008 IS-F. Replacing the OEM brakes with more OEM parts. Any tips or tricks you can offer to make this go smoothly? My friend has replaced brakes on several vehicles but never one with such large brakes.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-10, 06:45 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Be careful not too scratch that caliper. Also make sure the shims go back on the pads put some shim grease on them as well. Besides that there really is no special way of changing them. Have fun
Old 02-17-10, 07:17 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Tach motor,

On a 2007 Is250, is there a way to check if one of the TPMS sensor are faulty without them being in a wheel?

I had them taken out and then zipped tied them to each other with a block of material in between to pressurize them, now no matter how hard I zip tie them, the TPMS light always comes on where as before it doesn't. I want to know which sensor is bad but the dealer said I must mount them back in the wheels.
Old 02-17-10, 07:26 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

You will need a TPMS code reader which is not worth the money if you end up buying it. If you go to the dealer they need it installed in the wheels to get a determination of which sensor is not reading by adding air in and removing it to check. In some cases the sensors dont go bad they just need to be re calibrated because they end up going in hibernation mode dont know why they designed the system this way but I figured its to have people keep an eye on their tires for wear. You could remove the tpms sensor box completely and wont have this issue but your dash will need to be removed in order to access the brain.
Old 02-17-10, 07:59 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
Be careful not too scratch that caliper. Also make sure the shims go back on the pads put some shim grease on them as well. Besides that there really is no special way of changing them. Have fun
Any suggestions on pushing the pistons back? Currently have a tool for doing a 3 piston setup.
Old 02-17-10, 08:02 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

you can leave the old pads in place get two flat head screwdrivers and put them in-between the pads and push in opposite direction which will force the pads to move the pistons back. You can also use two channel locks but you have to cover the calipers well with rags so you dont dig into the paint.
Old 02-17-10, 08:24 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
You will need a TPMS code reader which is not worth the money if you end up buying it. If you go to the dealer they need it installed in the wheels to get a determination of which sensor is not reading by adding air in and removing it to check. In some cases the sensors dont go bad they just need to be re calibrated because they end up going in hibernation mode dont know why they designed the system this way but I figured its to have people keep an eye on their tires for wear. You could remove the tpms sensor box completely and wont have this issue but your dash will need to be removed in order to access the brain.
I want to say thank you for your help and taking your time to do this!

Does the dealership have the TPMS code reader? And is the only way for it to read the TPMS is put air in and releasing it again from the tires?
Old 02-17-10, 08:46 AM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Any suggestions on pushing the pistons back? Currently have a tool for doing a 3 piston setup.
Use an old brake pad and a c-clamp make sure to cover any area of the c-clamp with tape and I would also use a clean rag or cloth.

using the old brake pad will apply even pressure across all the pistons.
Old 02-17-10, 11:13 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

hope you can help tach
Old 02-17-10, 11:44 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikez
I want to say thank you for your help and taking your time to do this!

Does the dealership have the TPMS code reader? And is the only way for it to read the TPMS is put air in and releasing it again from the tires?
The dealership has the reader to determine weather or not the sensors are in hibernation or damaged. They tend to do things by the book so your only option would be to put them in.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician