NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 06:52 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

long story short:

dropped my work light in my engine bay and it touched the positive terminal on my battery and my K&N intake tube, saw sparks, now the car runs like crap, runnin through gas like its going out of style, stopped and got codes read, o2 sensors bank 1 and 2, 2 codes for running too rich, changed the maf sensor, ran good for about 20-30 miles, back to being bogged down, the engine is obviously not getting enough air, what do you think?
Old 04-09-10, 07:38 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would reset the battery first, Check all your fuses in case you burned one or maybe a few out.
Old 04-09-10, 07:42 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
I would reset the battery first, Check all your fuses in case you burned one or maybe a few out.
done and done
Old 04-09-10, 07:59 AM
UNOHOO

headin over to autozone to get my codes read, ill let ya know whats up when i get back
Old 04-09-10, 09:04 AM
UNOHOO

p0172 system too rich bank 1
p0175 system too rich bank 2
p0037 ho2 bank 1 sen 2 heater circuit low
poo57 ho2s bank 2 sen 2 heater circuit low
Old 04-09-10, 10:08 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

What car is this ? the rx300?
Old 04-09-10, 10:23 AM
UNOHOO

oh man im sorry, my fault, no the 2003 IS 300, sorry, im used to being over on ISFanatics where its all IS's lol sorry man
Old 04-10-10, 06:52 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Ok, For your k&n intake do you have the heatshield that came with it ? If not put your stock airbox back in and reset the computer ( unplug the battery ). If that does not work you might as well change out your 02 sensors; Hopefully you didnt spike the ecm and causing it to malfunction. So try this first

1. install stock airbox reset ecu if that doesnt work
2. switch out ecms with someone else who has the same year

Btw. What were you doing when you dropped your light on the battery ?
Old 04-11-10, 04:54 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

You probably have a seized caliper that is what the hissing sound may be coming from. Check the vaccum line that goes from the brake booster to the intake manifold and see if there are any cracks etc..

Here is a test you can do. Raise the car and spin both front wheels if it spins freely the caliper is most likely o.k. If its very hard to spin or stops abruptly then you have a seized caliper.
thanks for the help, I jacked up the rear of the car and noticed the left rear hard line was rusted and leaking, changed it fine. after pressure built up right rear line broke also and started leaking, got too tired so doing that tomorrow.
Old 04-11-10, 05:00 PM
bigklein
Driver School Candidate

I'm new to this forum. My Lexus suddenly won't start either. I had the power steering bearing and belt replaced on my 2000 GS300 two weeks ago after the thing locked up. I don't know if what I'm about to write is related to that issue, especially since the car was great after that $600 fix. This morning, however, after sitting in the rain all night, the car won't start. When I turn the ignition key there's a little click, the lower dashboard lights pulse and flash and there's a rough vibrating-drumroll sound. After I return the key to the off position the dashboard lights up for a second, and then it's off. The battery seems fine, as I can turn on the headlights, and the car drove beautifully last night. I don't know what's going on. I've never seen this reaction to starting before. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 04-11-10, 06:48 PM
bigklein
Driver School Candidate

Now it's starting. Very strange. I'm wondering if something that shouldn't get wet became exposed when the power steering work was done.
Old 04-12-10, 04:33 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by davidv433
thanks for the help, I jacked up the rear of the car and noticed the left rear hard line was rusted and leaking, changed it fine. after pressure built up right rear line broke also and started leaking, got too tired so doing that tomorrow.
Change out all the lines. Your better off.
Old 04-12-10, 04:36 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigklein
I'm new to this forum. My Lexus suddenly won't start either. I had the power steering bearing and belt replaced on my 2000 GS300 two weeks ago after the thing locked up. I don't know if what I'm about to write is related to that issue, especially since the car was great after that $600 fix. This morning, however, after sitting in the rain all night, the car won't start. When I turn the ignition key there's a little click, the lower dashboard lights pulse and flash and there's a rough vibrating-drumroll sound. After I return the key to the off position the dashboard lights up for a second, and then it's off. The battery seems fine, as I can turn on the headlights, and the car drove beautifully last night. I don't know what's going on. I've never seen this reaction to starting before. Any ideas? Thanks.
Check your battery terminal connections if they are loose. Also look around your powersteering pump to see if anything was crimped or loosely connected. Check your belt tension; You should have a small deflection in the belt when you move it up and down.
Old 04-12-10, 07:15 AM
UNOHOO

Ok, For your k&n intake do you have the heatshield that came with it ? If not put your stock airbox back in and reset the computer ( unplug the battery ). If that does not work you might as well change out your 02 sensors; Hopefully you didnt spike the ecm and causing it to malfunction. So try this first

1. install stock airbox reset ecu if that doesnt work
2. switch out ecms with someone else who has the same year

Btw. What were you doing when you dropped your light on the battery ?
ok so heres how it went over the weekend, replaced the o2 sensor on the y pipe, replaced the throttle position sensor, reset ecu, running a whole lot better but still not perfect, idles well, runs fine, doesnt run rich or at least not like it did, if i gun it though it chokes

i was replacing the battery when that happened by the way, im havin the wifey take it to toyota today for a diagnosis
Old 04-12-10, 07:39 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you replace the TPS you need to get it calibrated!! did you calibrated?

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician