NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 08:53 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember you from awhile ago, tho you don't post here often. You helped me with a few hunt downs on my 92LS. Glad you came back to visit us and thanks for lending a helping hand to the members on the forums. Doing so, free of charge, is above and beyond the call of duty.

THANK YOU on behalf of the members here!
Old 10-25-09, 03:31 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for that. I know how frustrating it can be to own any car and cant get a straight answer from Technicians without having to dish out the $$ first. That is why I decided to start this thread and do what I can for the community.
Old 11-03-09, 08:48 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Post if you have any questions about your Lex.
Old 11-03-09, 10:23 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

tach - here's a question for you - my front passenger side door lock is not functioning. when i use the remote, the car attempts to unlock 4 or 5 times before it gives up. the power locks inside do not work either for that door only. do you think this is a simple fix i can do, or is it something more involved? this happend either when i was messing with the diagnostic screen on my nav, or on a rainy night with someone hanging off of and opening and closing the door. wish i had more info; appreciate your help either way, thanks.
Old 11-03-09, 10:33 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Your door lock actuator is malfunctioning by the way you described it. You will need to get that replaced. If you are still within your factory warranty it is covered.
Old 11-03-09, 10:44 AM
ryan78
Instructor

nope - just went out of warranty 300mi ago. lol, go figure. what's the 'norm' for a fix like this, if you don't mind. thanks for the help and quick response.
Old 11-03-09, 10:48 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

NP, I would still go back to the dealer anyway. 300mi they may still honor it and warranty it. Speak to a service manager. They may charge anywhere from 2-3hours to do the job so your looking at roughly 200-300 just on labor. Part I dont remember how much it goes for but its around $120-$200 I believe.

If you go to the dealer alot for service etc... they may hook you up. Just tell them you are a loyal cust.. GL.
Old 11-03-09, 10:54 AM
ryan78
Instructor

thanks for the help!
Old 11-03-09, 01:17 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

NP, Glad I could help
Old 11-03-09, 02:20 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 1993 GS300, and The AC just stopped working. THe light on the AC switch turns on, but the compressor doesn't click on. Any suggestions?
Old 11-03-09, 04:12 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Seems to be your compressor clutch is seized. A good way to test it out is have someone keep an eye on the compressor while you press the buttong on and off to see if the clutch engages.

You have two options

1: replace the entire ac compressor assembly
2: have the compressor clutch rebuilt.

GL.
Old 11-09-09, 09:15 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tach_motor,

Got one for ya. Just cleaned the throttle body (very gunky) and the MAF sensor on my GS400. Starts up at around 1800 rpm and even when warmed up, it's around 1100, in Drive. Is there any way to adjust the idle speed?
Old 11-10-09, 03:45 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Percy,

When you cleaned the maf sensor did you use throttle body cleaner, brake cleaner or maf cleaner. Both the throttle body and brake cleaner are very corossive. Most people get away cleaning the maf with brake cleaner becuase they have compressed air to blow it away before it stays and eats away at the temp,speed density wires.

As for your throttle body same goes, If you sprayed directly into the throttle body bore all that gunk liquifies and can seep into your Iac motor and re-solidify, The best way to clean out the throttle body is to spray the chemical on a rag and wipe the plates and the bore out.

If your problem has been persisting for some time now you will have to get a new throttle body assembly. You can attempt to repair the throttle body assembly yourself by disassembling it and trying to clean it out. Your friend at that point is brake clean and compressed air. You will need compressed air to blow whatever the brake clean loosens.

Hope this helps. GL
Old 11-10-09, 07:55 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GL,

I used MAF cleaner for the MAF, carb/tb cleaner for the tb. At no time did I spray into the tb, but rather, just soaked up a shop rag and worked the gunk out from there.

Does the GS400 (8 cyl) have a seperate IAC motor?

The dealership guys claim that the tb is extremely fragile and that I shouldn't open it up. If I do open it up, how hard is it to work on?

Thanks for your assist on this one!
Old 11-10-09, 08:08 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Percy, Glad to hear you used the correct items to clean the parts. We can check off the maf for now. Your main problem here is the throttle body; they are extremely fragile and one slight alteration can permanently damage the unit which is why I would recommend to get a new one.

I do remember there was a recall or service bulletin on your model year throttle bodies; Im not 100% sure; but if you are still within the warranty range I would call up lexus and see if they can warranty it. If not they are ridiculously expensive new from the dealer. I would try and get a second hand unit but even those can be questionable as well.

Keep me posted on what you decide. I will also keep an eye out around me if one comes available.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician