NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 05:49 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it wont work that way because you basically need the auto function to set on permanently so you dont have to keep turning the wiper stalk on and off. You will need the wiper stalk, rain sensor control module, rain sensor unit with the "gel" that goes between the sensor unit and windshield.
Old 04-27-10, 02:05 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi. 01 ls430 UL. Takes long time to idle. I have an autostart alarm (viper 5900) and as I start it from home it warms up for 2-3min. When I get in it's already quarter warm and rpm is at 1200, sometimes 1000 and sometimes at 1500 rpm. Sometimes it's ok but most of the times rpm is high and takes another 3-5min to get it to idle even though the car is already warmed up fully. Could it be plugs? Car has 94k. Thank you.
Old 04-27-10, 03:52 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

You may have a throttle body issue. If you havent already get your 90k service done. You may have carbon build up as well in the throttle body that you can clean up to start.
Old 04-27-10, 04:51 PM
lisc300
Pole Position

how much would it run me for to replace a motor mount, replace my serpintine belt and replace a left side rear traction rod
Old 04-27-10, 06:30 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
You may have a throttle body issue. If you havent already get your 90k service done. You may have carbon build up as well in the throttle body that you can clean up to start.
Thanx for the input. Throttle body was cleaned out about 2k miles ago. As to a 90k service, according to my car's records tb + wp was done at 60k, also cooling system was flushed, cleaned and refilled. What else is there to do for a 90k service? Also, what could be the reason for high rpm other than throttle body? Thanx.
Old 04-27-10, 06:34 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Did this happen before or after the throttle clean up. Reason why I ask is if you have carbon build up and it was cleaned out the carbon could have ended up in your IAC ( Idle Air Control motor ) which is in your throttle body and can be giving you the idle fluctuations.
Old 04-27-10, 06:41 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Hm, when I think about it, it became like this after clean up. What shoud I do?Thanx.
Old 04-28-10, 10:30 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Tach!

How tough is it to replace the evaporator core in the 2nd gen GS? Getting a freon smell in the cabin but it was always a very slow leak.

The leak got much worse just recently - lost about a pound of freon in a couple of days. High side. Any tips what to look for or any common areas to troubleshoot?

216k miles on the car.
Old 04-28-10, 11:26 PM
nkostaki
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your help TACH.
Old 04-29-10, 07:24 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Hm, when I think about it, it became like this after clean up. What shoud I do?Thanx.
The clean up caused the carbon to liquify and whatever was not taken out re-solidified on the IAC. You can take it apart and clean it however you have to be very careful not to damage anything. You can get gaskets from the dealer so you have no leaks afterward.
Old 04-29-10, 03:53 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Percy
Hi Tach!

How tough is it to replace the evaporator core in the 2nd gen GS? Getting a freon smell in the cabin but it was always a very slow leak.

The leak got much worse just recently - lost about a pound of freon in a couple of days. High side. Any tips what to look for or any common areas to troubleshoot?

216k miles on the car.
Go to your nearest auto parts store and get yourself a A/C dye so you can inject it into your ac system and add refrigerant to the sytsem. Drive with it on for a couple of days so you can have it circulate in the system. The supplied kit will come with glasses; start probbing to find where the leak is. If it is your evaporator core you will need to remove the dash and dash frame to access the core to change it out.
Old 04-29-10, 03:54 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nkostaki
Thank you for your help TACH.
Np glad I could be of service
Old 04-30-10, 05:44 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
Go to your nearest auto parts store and get yourself a A/C dye so you can inject it into your ac system and add refrigerant to the sytsem. Drive with it on for a couple of days so you can have it circulate in the system. The supplied kit will come with glasses; start probbing to find where the leak is. If it is your evaporator core you will need to remove the dash and dash frame to access the core to change it out.
Tach - drainpipe for the evap core is definitely glowing under UV light. Also the condenser has been damaged due to the age and road debris. What's the number of hours on a project like this? Lexus is quoting me 10 hours for the evap core, 5 hours on the condenser. Your thoughts?
Old 04-30-10, 08:34 PM
7Cain
Driver

Hi Tach, we've talked before. My car has been sitting for a year now due to a flood from last april, and I thought the solenoids in the transmission where stuck or bad and not reporting to the diagnostic computer. I ended up needing to purchase a different valve body assembly which included the solenoids. I put everything on to spec as far as my manual and made sure the trans oil was at the correct level (even after running it for a bit to warm up). I actually got to drive it down the street! It was AWESOME! for about 200ft. Then it started to slip and then it would not engage at all. I think something was free'd up when I put the new valvebody and solenoids on (well they where actually used and the solenoids came with the valvebody). What do you think? I've been at this for a year and I am no transmission guy nor can I afford one. Thank you SO much for being involved with this forum (I'm sure you don't hear that enough).

Maximum Respect,
7Cain
Old 05-01-10, 06:01 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Percy
Tach - drainpipe for the evap core is definitely glowing under UV light. Also the condenser has been damaged due to the age and road debris. What's the number of hours on a project like this? Lexus is quoting me 10 hours for the evap core, 5 hours on the condenser. Your thoughts?
You can talk them down to 10-12 hours. There not going by book time. Book time on a evap core is around 10 hours, condenser is around 2-3 hours. You can bargain with them since your not under warranty and are a paying customer you can go to another dealership.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician