NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 10:47 AM
Derrick42
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had pipes made put on my 2001 is300..My check eng light came on for the code of P0420 Catalyst efficiency below threshold- bank 1, and it also said failed catalytic converter, ingnition system malfunction, fuel system malfuction, so I got some O2 simulators to space them..and I had my car reset to take the light off...it went off but now it's still driving in Limp mode, high rpms not getn no power...sounds like I'm going fast but I'm not....and when I'm driving it's coming from my eng not my pipes...it also sounds like it takes for ever to get in gear but it's not jerking just high rpms wit no push....PLZ HELP
Old 05-06-10, 11:46 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the help last time...., you guys are awesome now a new has popped up , my 90 ls400 ac clutch and compressor doesnt kick on. it worked fine and the compressor made no noises etc. it also recently had 1000 worth of ac work done from the previous owner. i have tried to check the front and back compressor plugs to no avail and also the relays under the driver headlight. im clueless also the fans arent working but if you pull the relays almost all the way out they will work and the ac light isnt blinking and also the line on the back thats supposed to move when you switch it from hot to cold also moves. sorry for the long post but i wanted to be as detailed as possible
Old 05-06-10, 11:48 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Derrick42
I had pipes made put on my 2001 is300..My check eng light came on for the code of P0420 Catalyst efficiency below threshold- bank 1, and it also said failed catalytic converter, ingnition system malfunction, fuel system malfuction, so I got some O2 simulators to space them..and I had my car reset to take the light off...it went off but now it's still driving in Limp mode, high rpms not getn no power...sounds like I'm going fast but I'm not....and when I'm driving it's coming from my eng not my pipes...it also sounds like it takes for ever to get in gear but it's not jerking just high rpms wit no push....PLZ HELP
Derrick, What kind of pipes? post a pic of the setup.
Old 05-06-10, 12:39 PM
Derrick42
Pole Position

you have a email I an send it to cuz I do everything from my palm pre
Old 05-06-10, 12:39 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by willhickey
thanks for the help last time...., you guys are awesome now a new has popped up , my 90 ls400 ac clutch and compressor doesnt kick on. it worked fine and the compressor made no noises etc. it also recently had 1000 worth of ac work done from the previous owner. i have tried to check the front and back compressor plugs to no avail and also the relays under the driver headlight. im clueless also the fans arent working but if you pull the relays almost all the way out they will work and the ac light isnt blinking and also the line on the back thats supposed to move when you switch it from hot to cold also moves. sorry for the long post but i wanted to be as detailed as possible
Sometimes the compressor clutch gets seized due to rust. Turn it on and tap it a few times with a hammer. Check all connections going to the ac compressor
Old 05-06-10, 12:46 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

okay thanks i only saw 2 connections on the compressor and they appear to be plugged in thanks is there any grounds on the compressor that you know of once again its a 90 ls400 thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanksn
Old 05-06-10, 01:22 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

do i hit it with a hammer even if it turns ?
Old 05-06-10, 01:48 PM
Derrick42
Pole Position

I got a custom exhaust wit a high flow cat
Old 05-06-10, 03:32 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by willhickey
okay thanks i only saw 2 connections on the compressor and they appear to be plugged in thanks is there any grounds on the compressor that you know of once again its a 90 ls400 thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanksn
Have someone turn the a/c button on/off while you check the front of the compressor and see if the clutch engages and dis-engages. Worst case you may have a seized compressor clutch. Which happens
Old 05-06-10, 03:39 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Derrick42
I got a custom exhaust wit a high flow cat
Are all the sensors tapped in to it ? Because you have two cats in the stock manifold and it needs to read both cats even if you have one high flow cat. I would recommend doing the 02 simulator. If you already did it double check the connections. The ecm is detecting a fatal flaw in the system and is in limp mode to protect the motor.
Old 05-06-10, 03:47 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

what i did instead of that was i ran a wire from the batt. to the switch for the clutch and it moved so what would be your next step to take i checked all fuses..., checked the clutch checked that switch on the back to see if it moved when you go hot to cold it did., tried to add freon still didnt turn on ( didnt add much since it was ice cold last time it worked) just enough to see if it was just a little low. im so clueless it isnt even funny
Old 05-06-10, 03:51 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Get a wiring diagram for the AC for your car and trace the wires, You may have a bad wire or relay something electrical related.
Old 05-06-10, 03:53 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

that im clueless with grrr.. ima get it off alldata and hope i have a chance at figuring it out haha and it was so cold when i got it running a month ago wtf? no wonder people buy new
Old 05-06-10, 07:22 PM
jmansargen
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx300 Transmission erratic shifting problems. Please help.

I recently changed the Timing belt, Water pump and valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, etc. on my wifes 2002 Rx300 and used OEM parts. Upon startup after repairs I had a P1135 Code and the transmission shifting erratic. It will go into all gears eventually but will shift up and down and revving the engine up and down before it would go into a gear, So I changed the bank 1 sensor 1 air/ fuel ratio sensor and disconnected the battery to reset computer. I have no codes at this time and have driven it but the transmission is acting the same way. Very badly. Transmission has always shifted smoothly and just started doing this after repairs. I have checked all connections at tps and throttle body that I have cleaned in the past. I have checked vacuum diagram circuit and all lines. Thanks for everyones help in advance.
Old 05-06-10, 10:25 PM
Derrick42
Pole Position

I have a apexi AFC system...do I have to get it dyno tuned to run right...i have the simulators in.

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/7//

Last edited by Derrick42; 05-07-10 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician