Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 03:21 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

Originally Posted by jfb92sc300
Hello Tach Motor, thanks for being here. I have a 92 SC 300-5 speed w/ 168,000 miles on the car. I have a # of issues w/ the car and need your assistance.
I bought a rebuilt Denso alternator and need to know how to install it. I've done this on my Supra w/ a 7M GTE but I have never worked on a 2JZ. Do I need to loosen the tension on the serpentine belt tensioner to loosen the belt to remove the old alternator? If so how do I do that? The 7M has an arm that the alternator slides on, it looks like the alternator on the 2J is fixed.

A: There is a 14mm nut on the tensioner you will notice it towards the middle. Hook up a 14mm wrench ( long ) or a extended ratchet with a 14mm socket and turn to the right it will release the tension and you can slide the belt off. Once done you can remove the 14mm bolts for the alternator and slide it off; disconnect the connector and you can put the new unit on.

The car also is sporadically "loading up"-running very rich & not wanting to run at all. It starts and dies, it will not hold idle. I am going to replace the plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor and coil. I'm also thinking about the O2 sensors and changing to a Denso MK IV fuel pump & filter. If needed, new RC injectors.

A: Do a full tune up on the motor, Clean out your maf sensor and your throttle body, make sure you dont spray directly into the throttle body, spray the cleaner on to a rag and wipe down. If you spray into the body you will liquify the carbon and it will clog up your IAC valve and cause more issues.

I have checked the vac lines & all "look" good, I could replace them w/ new ones. I'm also going to replace the serpentine belt and the timing belt w/ a Gates Racing belt & a new tensioner for both belts. Also going to change to an ATI Super Damper.

What else should I be looking for to solve this problem?

A: Do the above first dont get too far ahead of yourself and start replacing everything under the sun. My whole motto is if it aint broken dont fix it. Take it a step at a time. Do whats listed above then post up if you still are having the same issues. If your going to do the timing belt get new idler pulleys for the t-belt, t-belt tensioner and new cam,crank seals. while your at it.

The only other Major pita is the gauge pod lighting and the speedo not working, but I checked w/ Lexus & they can send it out to be rebuilt.

A: Those are not repaired easily. I have tried numerous times and they need to be carefully reconfigured.

Thanks for any input and help you can provide.

-Fred

Do the above first then hit me back up if you are still having the same issues. Good luck
Old 05-09-10, 03:36 PM
jfb92sc300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
Do the above first then hit me back up if you are still having the same issues. Good luck
Thanks for the quick response, "will do" on the one step at a time. Very good suggestion about the seals, I'll add that step to my list.

I'll let you know how everything works out, many thanks again.

-Fred
Old 05-09-10, 08:17 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can talk them down to 10-12 hours. There not going by book time. Book time on a evap core is around 10 hours, condenser is around 2-3 hours. You can bargain with them since your not under warranty and are a paying customer you can go to another dealership.
Decided to do the work myself. Replaced the condenser, fluid line, expansion valve so far. Still have the car apart and will replace out the evap core and the servo motor for the passenger side. Quite a big job! But the 2,850 dollar savings is worth it for me to do it myself.
Old 05-10-10, 04:37 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Cool congrats. Let me know how it works out
Old 05-11-10, 08:05 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Tach -

Finished all the work and was very detail driven. Cleaned out all the ducts, blower motor blades, etc. When I took out the evap core it was completely soaked with the dye and the bottom of the core had rotted away. This was more than likely from the cushion that Lexus used on initial installation. The newer core design has no such padding so that the condensation can pass through unimpeded.

There was a problem though. The steering wheel didn't want to mount back up to the bolt hole locations. Took it to the dealer this morning - had to get it towed. They claim that the steering wheel shaft had collapsed and it was unrepairable.

Have you ever opened up one of the steering / telescoping units before? How tough to replace/repair?

Percy
Old 05-12-10, 12:31 PM
jmansargen
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx300 problems

For you too have that many cylinder misfires I would re-check the timing. Remember the Bank 1 cam on a rx300 is under load and when the timing belt is removed or installed it can slide either direction front or reverse. Check the timing from the crank and both the cams. I have a feeling your rear cam may have jumped a tooth or two. Get that sorted out first. It may also be the cause of your tranny malfunctioning.
Yes the bank 1 cam does tend to roll when you install so I had to do it twice at first to get it right but I am getting bank 2 codes. Checked timing marks again and marks are perfect. I marked the pulleys and crank in 2 places before I took the timing belt off. cleared codes and no engine codes yet. I checked front bank ignition coils and they were firing with the spark plugs. engine runs with a little skip and transmission shifts up and down when the auto trans changes gears still. The codes for 300, misfire, 302 cylinder 2, 304 cylinder 4 , 306 cylinder six were showing up before I cleared. But now is not. I checked ocv valves on both banks with 5vdc and the coil shifted the valve normally. When I plug my OBD- 2 scanner into the car the engine runs smooth and the transmission shifts normally and the car runs good. but when I unplug it going down the road the tranny and engine starts acting up again. Why does it do this? been working on this car now for 2 weeks and don't have the funds right now to take it to the shop. , Thanks so much for your responses.
Old 05-12-10, 02:31 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Percy
Tach -

Finished all the work and was very detail driven. Cleaned out all the ducts, blower motor blades, etc. When I took out the evap core it was completely soaked with the dye and the bottom of the core had rotted away. This was more than likely from the cushion that Lexus used on initial installation. The newer core design has no such padding so that the condensation can pass through unimpeded.

There was a problem though. The steering wheel didn't want to mount back up to the bolt hole locations. Took it to the dealer this morning - had to get it towed. They claim that the steering wheel shaft had collapsed and it was unrepairable.

Have you ever opened up one of the steering / telescoping units before? How tough to replace/repair?

Percy
Ive never had the opportunity to repair a steering column, I dont think it should be too hard to do. You have to make sure that there is no binding when its fully assembled.
Old 05-12-10, 02:34 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmansargen
Yes the bank 1 cam does tend to roll when you install so I had to do it twice at first to get it right but I am getting bank 2 codes. Checked timing marks again and marks are perfect. I marked the pulleys and crank in 2 places before I took the timing belt off. cleared codes and no engine codes yet. I checked front bank ignition coils and they were firing with the spark plugs. engine runs with a little skip and transmission shifts up and down when the auto trans changes gears still. The codes for 300, misfire, 302 cylinder 2, 304 cylinder 4 , 306 cylinder six were showing up before I cleared. But now is not. I checked ocv valves on both banks with 5vdc and the coil shifted the valve normally. When I plug my OBD- 2 scanner into the car the engine runs smooth and the transmission shifts normally and the car runs good. but when I unplug it going down the road the tranny and engine starts acting up again. Why does it do this? been working on this car now for 2 weeks and don't have the funds right now to take it to the shop. , Thanks so much for your responses.
This might seem strange to you but check for any ground cables disconnected; You may have a grounding problem. Let me know on that and I will look further into this and let you know
Old 05-12-10, 03:22 PM
Middloe
Driver School Candidate

Default engine noise and vibration

I had my original catalytic converter replaced with, what seemed to be, a high quality walker aftermarket catalytic converter. I have a 1998 ES300 with California and New York emissions. The new one rumbles. If it's the same specs, why would the after market one make so much more noise?
Old 05-12-10, 03:58 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Do you fee a vibration? or its actually louder soundig from the exhaust ? If its vibrating then the pipe is touching something, If its loud from the exhaust then it could be there is a possible leak or maybe the actual cat is a high flowing cat making it more audible.
Old 05-12-10, 04:24 PM
jmansargen
Driver School Candidate

This might seem strange to you but check for any ground cables disconnected; You may have a grounding problem. Let me know on that and I will look further into this and let you know
Yes that was exactly what I was thinking also. It has 2 cables for grounding on the right side inner fender. one going to the engine with some kind of relay and the other is going to the engine on the back mount. Is there any more grounding connections elsewhere? I will check some more and let you know. let me know if you find anything else. Thanks
Old 05-12-10, 05:07 PM
Middloe
Driver School Candidate

I feel vibration slightly in the gas pedal, but mostly a concerderable increase in noise, and tone. Used to be high pitched smooth as silk whine. now lower pitched more throughtsy loud and unpleasent sound.
Old 05-12-10, 05:10 PM
beasyphone
Driver School Candidate

How do I post on this site! From motorola droid? I have a 1999 gs300 and need to know how to hide amp wires?
Old 05-12-10, 05:13 PM
Middloe
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it's high flowing becuase before the old cat had vertually no honey comb left, and when I put the new one on the back pressure for the engine was noticebly more, but not alot. I was just told that the aftermarket ones rumble becuase of the way they are manufactured compared to the lexus ones. I was just wondering why exactly would there be that much of a difforence?
Old 05-12-10, 05:25 PM
beasyphone
Driver School Candidate

Default 1999 gs300 sub wiring

I m trying to put this 12 inch sub in my 1999 gs 300 and need help on how to hide the wires?

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician