NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 05:29 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Middloe
I feel vibration slightly in the gas pedal, but mostly a concerderable increase in noise, and tone. Used to be high pitched smooth as silk whine. now lower pitched more throughtsy loud and unpleasent sound.
You probably have a high performance cat in there. I would just make sure there are no leaks anywhere. And the vibration is coming from the cat rubbing on something most likely. I would take it back to the shop you got it done and have them double check the connection points.
Old 05-12-10, 05:30 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by beasyphone
How do I post on this site! From motorola droid? I have a 1999 gs300 and need to know how to hide amp wires?
run the wires either the driver or passenger side and pull up the foot panels run the wires straight through the back to mount in the trunk
Old 05-12-10, 05:32 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

I don't think it's high flowing becuase before the old cat had vertually no honey comb left, and when I put the new one on the back pressure for the engine was noticebly more, but not alot. I was just told that the aftermarket ones rumble becuase of the way they are manufactured compared to the lexus ones. I was just wondering why exactly would there be that much of a difforence?
Its probably a lower quality cat so the company that made it probably didnt space out the honey comb. IF it bothers you that much your best option is back to O.E which are $$$
Old 05-12-10, 05:35 PM
Middloe
Driver School Candidate

I will check into it. thanks for your help. One other question. Does the resistance on the primary and secondary coils wounds increase slowly over time or how do you evaluate when coils need to be replaced?
Old 05-12-10, 05:50 PM
Derrick42
Pole Position

how do i know if my catalytic converter is clogged...? And will these headlights be a good buy for my Lexus is300 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_4405wt_1165

Last edited by Derrick42; 05-13-10 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-13-10, 06:40 AM
NYCIS350
Driver

So I got a strange thing happening....cold start car revs to 1500 dips down to 1000 then immediately back to 1500.....the check completed comes on...but oil maintenance reqd flashes right after then disappears. This has happened twice last night and this morning.......I am no where close to any sort maintenance due......any ideas are appreciated. I am running synthetic 5W-20. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-10, 08:15 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nicee ur thread finally got stickied Lucky lol.
Old 05-13-10, 09:37 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

I will check into it. thanks for your help. One other question. Does the resistance on the primary and secondary coils wounds increase slowly over time or how do you evaluate when coils need to be replaced?
If there is too much resistance on the coil you will start having misfires. Once the ecm picks that up you will know that the coils are going bad. If you have problems with it now dont worry about it.
Old 05-13-10, 09:40 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Derrick42
how do i know if my catalytic converter is clogged...? And will these headlights be a good buy for my Lexus is300 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_4405wt_1165
If your cat is clogged you will have diminished performance. Also you will notice that it heats up more when you drive it.

As for the lights you can get them but dont expect the world from them. I would add more sealant around the edges to stop any water from entering ( extra precaution ).

If you do get them post up your experience with them so others can buy or avoid.
Old 05-13-10, 09:42 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
nicee ur thread finally got stickied Lucky lol.
Did it ? I didn't even notice lol . Thats awesome. Now if they will only give me back my P.M privileges
Old 05-13-10, 11:52 AM
jmansargen
Driver School Candidate

Default rx300 problems

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
This might seem strange to you but check for any ground cables disconnected; You may have a grounding problem. Let me know on that and I will look further into this and let you know
I checked the ground cables on the inner fender with my meter to the battery and other components on the engine and had good resistance. There are 2 sets of grounding cables on the back of the plenum that I had taken off to access rear valve cover. I had put one on and the other had fell down behind the plenum that I could not see. I guess It might have caused something to ground out while it was laying back there. I pulled it out of the way and drove the car and the car was fixed! Got back home and grounded it to the engine and we have been driving the car all day with no problems! Thanks so much for your help. If you are ever down in Ga., I'll take ya out to dinner! Thanks Again for your time and experience!
Old 05-13-10, 03:56 PM
Derrick42
Pole Position

It does heat up faster then it usely does....but i have no check light on....but i asked u before about the way it was driving high rpms...and u said i need to get my Apexi AFC tuned...so if it is clogged can i unclogg it if so how..?

Last edited by Derrick42; 05-13-10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 07:39 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmansargen
I checked the ground cables on the inner fender with my meter to the battery and other components on the engine and had good resistance. There are 2 sets of grounding cables on the back of the plenum that I had taken off to access rear valve cover. I had put one on and the other had fell down behind the plenum that I could not see. I guess It might have caused something to ground out while it was laying back there. I pulled it out of the way and drove the car and the car was fixed! Got back home and grounded it to the engine and we have been driving the car all day with no problems! Thanks so much for your help. If you are ever down in Ga., I'll take ya out to dinner! Thanks Again for your time and experience!
Awesome!!, Glad to hear you got it taken care of. That ground strap is vital for the whole car as you witnessed first hand. Ill def keep you in mind if I do come down to GA thanks for the offer
Old 05-14-10, 07:41 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Derrick42
It does heat up faster then it usely does....but i have no check light on....but i asked u before about the way it was driving high rpms...and u said i need to get my Apexi AFC tuned...so if it is clogged can i unclogg it if so how..?
When people use the term clogged cats. It means that the car was running way too lean/Rich and their was extensive carbon build up surrounding the cat. You will have to replace them if they are damaged.
Old 05-15-10, 12:15 AM
blckstrp
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I have a 2001 LS430 and I've been noticing the strong smell of gas coming out near the rear wheel on the drivers side (our right side, as I'm from Hong Kong and cars here are RHD), which is the side opposite to the fuel filler (fuel filler is onn the left), which I checked and is properly tightened. The problem seems to be on and off, but when its there the smell can be quite strong.

Also I get about 13mpg spending an hour on the highway and an hour stuck in traffic each day... lots of hills. I run 93 octane (or so they tell me, there is only one type available here). Just extra info, not sure if this is related to the issue or not. Engine feels like its running fine.

Are their any know issues or possible causes to this? I had it checked once and something was "loose" but he wasn't able to twll me what exactly... and the problem came back in a couple months.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician