NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 12:37 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!! were going INTERNATIONAL now lol.

Ok as for your problem. I believe Ethanol by percentage is a lot higher overseas; another factor is when you fill up on fuel do you over-fill it ? I.E - once the tank is full and the auto fuel shuts off do you click it to squeeze out a few extra drops? if you do then what happens is that extra fuel trickles down into your charcoal canister which can then give off the extra fuel odor. Also how many miles on your car ?
Old 05-15-10, 01:43 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Tach!

What's the operating temp range for a GS400? I'm getting around 219 to 245 degrees F. There's a bit of a leak and more than likely air is in the coolant system. Hoses have 216k miles on them.
Old 05-15-10, 02:26 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

It is a bit high, I would replace both the upper and lower radiator hoses and def replace the thermostat and rubber gasket.

Not sure if I asked once before if you havent replaced the t-belt and water pump you should do it immediately. Every 90k miles.
Old 05-15-10, 04:28 PM
Derrick42
Pole Position

I just ordered those ccfl headlights....what do I use and where do I seal it up at to keep the water out...?
Old 05-15-10, 06:44 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Make sure the seal is good enough, If not then add more just in case.
Old 05-15-10, 09:18 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
It is a bit high, I would replace both the upper and lower radiator hoses and def replace the thermostat and rubber gasket.

Not sure if I asked once before if you havent replaced the t-belt and water pump you should do it immediately. Every 90k miles.
One of the hoses to the heater core is definitely leaking. Car overheats. Sound about right for the situation? I noticed that the diameter of the hose has enlarged a bit, enough to cause problems. Probably due to age.
Old 05-16-10, 09:47 AM
blckstrp
Driver School Candidate

Wow!! were going INTERNATIONAL now lol.

Ok as for your problem. I believe Ethanol by percentage is a lot higher overseas; another factor is when you fill up on fuel do you over-fill it ? I.E - once the tank is full and the auto fuel shuts off do you click it to squeeze out a few extra drops? if you do then what happens is that extra fuel trickles down into your charcoal canister which can then give off the extra fuel odor. Also how many miles on your car ?
haha. Nope, I stop at the auto-shutoff, but there is room for at least another 3 gallons. I've only topped it off once, the day I knew gas prices were going up lol. 100,000km so 62,000 miles.
Old 05-16-10, 11:52 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Percy
One of the hoses to the heater core is definitely leaking. Car overheats. Sound about right for the situation? I noticed that the diameter of the hose has enlarged a bit, enough to cause problems. Probably due to age.
Definitely replace the upper and lower radiator hoses and change out the thermostat. While your at it drain out the coolant completely and refill with o.e toyota red fluid.
Old 05-16-10, 11:57 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blckstrp
haha. Nope, I stop at the auto-shutoff, but there is room for at least another 3 gallons. I've only topped it off once, the day I knew gas prices were going up lol. 100,000km so 62,000 miles.
Your going to have to do a "sniff" test to locate the smell, check under the hood if you smell fuel you may have worn injector rings, check the rear the hose filler neck is held with a clamp; if that gets loose then some fuel will probably leak.
Old 05-17-10, 12:52 PM
oneuzfour
Driver

HI,i have a 95 sc400 just lower on (used)eibach pro w/ new kyb.my rear is hitting (bottoms out) on the bumps.have i done something wrong w/this setup? should i have cut the bump stops? first time lowering this car.and it has sc shock w/sc spring.the front feels good. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-10, 01:02 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Did you install it ? or did some shop install it? when your bottoming out like that its an indication that the bump stops are missing. Let me know. Also the kyb's are new ? or you bought it with the springs and you were told they were new ?
Old 05-17-10, 03:26 PM
oneuzfour
Driver

yes i install it. bump stops are in the correct way.i put them into the new stock rite away,after the top hat were taken off. now we did have to remove the sway bar bolt,one at a time. kyb came in the mail. i read old thread and i'm leaning toward bushing.?? also we jump on top of the breaks,to removal and install,and not jack or pry.
Old 05-17-10, 04:19 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Did you push the bump stop all the way down the shaft or kept it close to the strut mount ?
Old 05-17-10, 07:39 PM
oneuzfour
Driver

I know what you are sayin..but the stops are in shaft. and i did do my homework before droping the SC. I have done a few drops on an Integra,Accord and Eclipse. I will put up pix tomorrow. The front ride fine(like stock)no alinement need.It's just the rear... For some reason i have sway bar on my mind...Thanks for responding.
Old 05-17-10, 09:38 PM
blckstrp
Driver School Candidate

Your going to have to do a "sniff" test to locate the smell, check under the hood if you smell fuel you may have worn injector rings, check the rear the hose filler neck is held with a clamp; if that gets loose then some fuel will probably leak.
Good idea, I'll check the under the hood next time I smell it, thanks.

It's odd though since highest concentration seems to be around the left rear wheel.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician