NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10 | 05:27 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

I had a strong feeling. Make sure your tensioner is strong enough to keep it in place. If not purchase a new tensioner and idler pulleys and swap them in.
Old 06-22-10 | 05:32 PM
LiCelsior
Retired
CL Folding 500000

yea i might order a new tensioner and put it in when it comes in. i have to rip apart the motor tomorrow to fix it...booo 92*.

thanks again for ur help.
Old 06-22-10 | 05:33 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
P0763 is a trans solenoid malfunction; you will need to replace that solenoid. Did you recently do a trans flush? recently within the past few months ? You may need to get the trans looked at by a trans shop or lexus dealer.
I haven't had the trans flushed in a long time.

What about the p0715? Turbine speed sensor. Is that the E shift?
Old 06-22-10 | 05:34 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Get the solenoids looked at, Most of the time they are inter-related.
Old 06-22-10 | 06:14 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Ok. I will try AAMCO Transmissions. Thanks so much TACH
Old 06-23-10 | 10:26 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

NP; Good luck with it.
Old 06-23-10 | 02:39 PM
LiCelsior
Retired
CL Folding 500000

changed the TB tensioner adjuster and realigned the cams and now its running perfectly again.
Old 06-24-10 | 11:04 AM
MicahBerry
Rookie

Tach,

I bought a 99 LS400 in April and had an independent shop look the car over just before purchase. The report came back clean. The car runs beautifully, however lately, when I hit a bump on the passenger side, the suspension sounds “loud.” I can hear it squeaking sounds as I make a slow, right hand turn (slow as in turning into my driveway at home). Steering seems to be straight – i.e., the car tracks straight on the interstate, and there is little, if any play in the wheel.

I’d like to take the car to a shop for a proper diagnosis, but after reading 33 pages of questions from others and your answers, I thought I’d run this by you.

What do you think possible causes might be? Tie rod ends? Suspension bushings? I don’t know too much about suspensions, so I would like to have some foundational knowledge when talking to the mechanic. Do you have a recommended website where I can learn?

Lastly, having read through all these pages, I’d like to say “thanks!” for stepping up and helping answer questions as you have. I’ve been learning all I can about Lexus cars before and since purchasing mine, and I appreciate the experience and advice you have offered.

Micah
Old 06-25-10 | 12:20 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

98 SC300, i did A/C diagnosis on the climate control and it pulls up code 21 - Open or Short in Solar Sensor Circuit. I diagnosis on a bright sunny day. I know it not compressor or freon problem cause I can hear the compressor turn on, and freon by checking with the gauge. any ideas on fixing this? I think my solar sensor is good cause if i have my headlight on auto, it turns on when it dark outside and turns off if it sunny out. But im not professional at this.. any ideas would help.
Old 06-25-10 | 02:03 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
changed the TB tensioner adjuster and realigned the cams and now its running perfectly again.
Great!! glad to hear that.
Old 06-25-10 | 02:12 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MicahBerry
Tach,

I bought a 99 LS400 in April and had an independent shop look the car over just before purchase. The report came back clean. The car runs beautifully, however lately, when I hit a bump on the passenger side, the suspension sounds “loud.” I can hear it squeaking sounds as I make a slow, right hand turn (slow as in turning into my driveway at home). Steering seems to be straight – i.e., the car tracks straight on the interstate, and there is little, if any play in the wheel.

I’d like to take the car to a shop for a proper diagnosis, but after reading 33 pages of questions from others and your answers, I thought I’d run this by you.

What do you think possible causes might be? Tie rod ends? Suspension bushings? I don’t know too much about suspensions, so I would like to have some foundational knowledge when talking to the mechanic. Do you have a recommended website where I can learn?

Lastly, having read through all these pages, I’d like to say “thanks!” for stepping up and helping answer questions as you have. I’ve been learning all I can about Lexus cars before and since purchasing mine, and I appreciate the experience and advice you have offered.

Micah
Micah,

Thanks for your kind remarks. Since your car is a '99 and possibly high mileage; I would look at all the suspension arms more so the upper control arms and see if there is any wear on the rubber; To test the inner and outer tie rods jack the front of the car up and grab the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and move the it from side to side ( not with excessive force where your actually moving the wheel right and left; just enough to feel any play in the wheel) if there is replace both the inner and outer rods. Another test is to grab the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and move it back and forth if you feel play you will need lower ball joints and possibly upper control arm.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns dont hesitate to post. Good luck
Old 06-25-10 | 02:17 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by horent135
98 SC300, i did A/C diagnosis on the climate control and it pulls up code 21 - Open or Short in Solar Sensor Circuit. I diagnosis on a bright sunny day. I know it not compressor or freon problem cause I can hear the compressor turn on, and freon by checking with the gauge. any ideas on fixing this? I think my solar sensor is good cause if i have my headlight on auto, it turns on when it dark outside and turns off if it sunny out. But im not professional at this.. any ideas would help.
That code is always there; 95% of all lexus vehicles have that code stored in the system. I need to know exactly what the problem is; I tried back tracking a few pages to see if you posted and I didnt see anything.
Old 06-25-10 | 07:00 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

That code is always there; 95% of all lexus vehicles have that code stored in the system. I need to know exactly what the problem is; I tried back tracking a few pages to see if you posted and I didnt see anything.
That was my first post, the problem with my AC is that it not blowing cold... It blowing warn air. I don't really know the problem but i tried checking for leaks and compassion already and see no problems there.... And did the diagnosis on the climate control and it flashes code 21.
Old 06-25-10 | 07:55 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Get the solenoids looked at, Most of the time they are inter-related.
Hey TACH, AAMCO quoted me $700 to do the job, saying that it's all external Trans parts. Solenoids ect.

How does that price sound to you?

Do you recommend any other places besides them?
I tried my regular guy but he did not want to get involved with trans problems.

Thanks so much for your time and all your help!
I don't have to tell you how lucky we are to have a beast like you on CL
Old 06-25-10 | 08:47 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=horent135;5595594]That was my first post, the problem with my AC is that it not blowing cold... It blowing warn air. I don't really know the problem but i tried checking for leaks and compassion already and see no problems there.... And did the diagnosis on the climate control and it flashes code 21.[/QUOTE

With the windows closed and no outside/inside noise turn the temp dial to hot and cold and listen for the temp control motor if you dont hear it switching the vent for cold/hot then you will need to remove your glove box and check the motor visually and see if it is moving or something is stuck in it, You may have a defective unit which you can move manually to cold and see if thats whats wrong.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician