Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 05:27 AM
lilkrnone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!

Hi Tach!

I wanted to ask you for some advice/guidance on what to do with my '07 Lexus IS350..

I took my car into a wheel shop to get a cracked rim fixed. The wheel shop ending up shattering my rear windshield.

They took my car to a place they knew and the work ended up being really shoddy:
- pieces of glass still everywhere and possibly inside the speakers and rear shade cavity(they told me to use the roller lint to pick up the small pieces),
- adhesive/bonding seeping through the edges of the windshield (which they tried to clean up by putting a razor blade to it scratching the paint-grr!),
- the rear stomp lamp has deep scratches, the interior ceiling upholstery is covered in dirt (it was spotless before),
- and I can still hear pieces of glass shifting left and right when I make turns.

I told them the wheel shop that I didn't want the glass place touching my car again, but I want the wheel shop to fix all the damages. Question is, is it possible for the dealer to check the speakers and the rear shade, and pretty much re-do everything the glass place messed up on? I just want my car back to the way it was before :'(

I appreciate any suggestions!! Thank you!
Old 08-09-10, 07:25 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Thought I'd ask before digging. 1990 LS400, was told the fans don't like to come on when its hot out. Where is the temp sensor that controls them? Also are they supposed to come on when the A/C is turned on? Is there a separate relay for sensor vs A/C turn on? Same with fuse? I have zero info as far as manual, diagram etc.
Thank you
Old 08-11-10, 04:10 AM
msdelexus
Driver School Candidate

Hi Tach!

Does the transmission fluid in the torque converter ever gets changed when you do a drain and refill as opposed to doing a flush?
Both the Lexus and Toyota dealerships in my area recommends flushing simply because of the transmission fluid left in the torque converter.
Thanks once again.

Last edited by msdelexus; 08-11-10 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-11-10, 03:05 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lilkrnone
Hi Tach!

I wanted to ask you for some advice/guidance on what to do with my '07 Lexus IS350..

I took my car into a wheel shop to get a cracked rim fixed. The wheel shop ending up shattering my rear windshield.

They took my car to a place they knew and the work ended up being really shoddy:
- pieces of glass still everywhere and possibly inside the speakers and rear shade cavity(they told me to use the roller lint to pick up the small pieces),
- adhesive/bonding seeping through the edges of the windshield (which they tried to clean up by putting a razor blade to it scratching the paint-grr!),
- the rear stomp lamp has deep scratches, the interior ceiling upholstery is covered in dirt (it was spotless before),
- and I can still hear pieces of glass shifting left and right when I make turns.

I told them the wheel shop that I didn't want the glass place touching my car again, but I want the wheel shop to fix all the damages. Question is, is it possible for the dealer to check the speakers and the rear shade, and pretty much re-do everything the glass place messed up on? I just want my car back to the way it was before :'(

I appreciate any suggestions!! Thank you!
I hope you have everything documented i.e -- receipt for everything; In that case go to lexus or back to the shop that fixed it; have them remove the rear windshield, back cowl and rear stop lamp and have them clean everything out. You can also threaten to press charges since the job wasnt done right.
Old 08-11-10, 03:09 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
Thought I'd ask before digging. 1990 LS400, was told the fans don't like to come on when its hot out. Where is the temp sensor that controls them? Also are they supposed to come on when the A/C is turned on? Is there a separate relay for sensor vs A/C turn on? Same with fuse? I have zero info as far as manual, diagram etc.
Thank you
Two fans, one is for A/C turns on when the ac is turned on; the other one is for radiator and turns on when the temp is up to spec, The sensor I believe on your ls should be underneath the manifold.
Old 08-11-10, 03:14 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by msdelexus
Hi Tach!

Does the transmission fluid in the torque converter ever gets changed when you do a drain and refill as opposed to doing a flush?
Both the Lexus and Toyota dealerships in my area recommends flushing simply because of the transmission fluid left in the torque converter.
Thanks once again.
IT depends on what car you have and year. IF your car uses WS fluid which is World Standard then you dont need to flush it or change it at all.

If you have the regular toyota fluid then it depends if its dark or black. If it is do not flush or drain and fill.

IF your fluid is still redish, you can drain and fill and or flush.

To answer your question the torque converter is not drained when doing the drain and fill method.
Old 08-11-10, 03:17 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

damn Lucky u staying busy haha. might stop by in a few days lol.

i sent a guy with a 350z to u to get his fenders rolled, but i dunno if he called or not.

also u got any NA ej25d's laying around? friend snapped a headbolt :/
Old 08-11-10, 05:33 PM
msdelexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
IT depends on what car you have and year. IF your car uses WS fluid which is World Standard then you dont need to flush it or change it at all.

If you have the regular toyota fluid then it depends if its dark or black. If it is do not flush or drain and fill.

IF your fluid is still redish, you can drain and fill and or flush.

To answer your question the torque converter is not drained when doing the drain and fill method.
It's a 2003 es300 with 89k miles.
Since the torque converter is not drained using the drain and fill method, does it matter if the fluid in there is not changed?
If it needs to be drained, then I'll have it flushed.
I'm just skeptic about the flushing method. Seems to have a lot of negative
views.
Thanks!
Old 08-13-10, 05:10 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Okay 1990 LS 400.
Standing in front looking back. There are 2 temp sensors, one smaller one toward your left, and an other one toward right (driver side), on top of the front water manifold.
What are they for?
Thanks.
Old 08-13-10, 06:44 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

coolant temp sensor.
Old 08-14-10, 12:28 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
coolant temp sensor.
Okay so whats the deal?
Yeah there are 3 coolant temp sensors.
The 2 that I described, and one on the driverside lower radiator.

In the old days you had 1,,, numeral uno, 1,,,,, yes 1 it was FOR THE TEMP GAGE!!!!

There are 3,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 3 yes I know they are coolant temp sensors. But what are their function????
One is for a gauge or is multi function. What is the other one for or its function? Probably engine management..... I am guessing the bottom one on the radiator is for the FAN S ?????

Last edited by dicer; 08-14-10 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-14-10, 12:53 PM
VinnyB541
Driver School Candidate

Default help needed!!!

hey new here but i am trying to help my dad with replacing his alternator on his 92 ls 400 and was curious if anyone can give me like a step by step on how to or point me in the right direction to find that. any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-10, 01:35 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyB541
hey new here but i am trying to help my dad with replacing his alternator on his 92 ls 400 and was curious if anyone can give me like a step by step on how to or point me in the right direction to find that. any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Located Alternator
-Using the belt tensioner, relieve pressure on the serpentine belt and remove belt all together
-there should be 3 bolts holding the alternate to your block, Remove bolts, and then remove alternator
-Place bolts back into each corresponding hole and turn one or 2 times to keep from losing them.
-Inspect new alternator and make sure everything looks up to par, you could even go a step farther and go to an Advanced auto or pep boys and get it tested.
-Remove bolts keeping in mind which one goes where
-slide new alternator into place
-install bolts
- Wrap the serp belt around all pullys in the correct manor (should be a digram floating around here some where) Leaving the belt tensioner for last
- using a wrench that matches the bolt size that holds the pully on the belt tensioner, Preload the tensioner
-wrap belt around tensioner pully
-May the Force be with you
Old 08-14-10, 05:28 PM
shark13
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 RX300 Transmission Diagnosis

I have an RX300 where the transmission seems to have gone out. The one caveat is that when you first turn it on after several hours of non-use the transmission will work, but shortly later (20 seconds) it goes out. Could this at all be associated with a clogged transmission filter? The though being that when the engine is first started fluid is making its way through the filter but as particles and sediment build up it clogs and therefore stops the function of the tranny. If this is far fetch..any other ideas?
Old 08-25-10, 07:32 AM
swiftscsi
Driver School Candidate

Hello.

Haven't recieved an aswer in the ES350 forum; my question is what is the cylinder locations on the 2007 Lexus ES350. I'm having a misfire on ignition coil 5"P0355" and will be replacing that coil and am trying to confirm which cylinder is #5. I think its:

Rear of Vehicle
1 -- 3 -- 5

2 -- 4 -- 6
Front of Vehicle

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician