NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10 | 03:25 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by omanely
Hello. I had a question. lexus dealer has my 99 rx 300 cylinders 1,3,5 misfire. they claim its the cats that r bad, 3500.00 to replace them. Where can I get the cats for a cheep and is it easy to swap out these parts? thanks
Cylinder misfire if not treated within a certain time frame will damage cats. You can try and source out used ones however its a 50/50 chance they will be good. If you have under 80k or extended warranty it will be covered. Its easy if you know the procedure to remove them however expect to break bolts and/or studs if not done properly.
Old 11-07-10 | 03:27 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
I have a question about my 06 GS300, car has approx 55k on it. A few weeks ago i noticed that sometimes when I start my car the power steering light (P/S) would come on. Not thinking anything of it, i would shut my car off and turn it back on and the light would go away and the power steering would work again. So last week while going to breakfast, the steering sounded funny. You know when you seem low on fluid and the steering wheel makes a creek noise when turning it. So fast forward to a couple days ago. Im driving to go pick up some stuff and my car starts to feel funny. If I turn my wheel slightly one way or the other, the wheel almost feels like its sticking in that direction and you have to straighten it back out. Kind of like when you have a flat tire and it feels like its pulling to one side, similar to that (i know its hard to explain). So with all this going on (mind you the P/S light has not come on for a few weeks now) i figured id check the power steering to see how it looks, come to find out theres no reservoir for the power steering. Im not really sure how to go out and check it. I browsed through the manual and theres no mention of power steering anywhere. Not sure what could be wrong. Is there anything i can check to figure out whats causing this problem short of having to take it to Lexus?

There is a steering rack recall for your vehicle. Go to a lexus dealer and they will warranty it. If they try to hit you off with an alignment they cannot as it is covered under the the rack replacement.
Old 11-07-10 | 03:32 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by goaliebill
Hi:
1992 SC400 - 427,000 km.
The CEL comes on, quickly followed by the "Trac Off" light. When I download the code, it comes up 25.
I recently replaced both upstream O2 sensors with Densos I bought on e-bay.
I checked a buddy's workshop manual which indicates only the CEL will come on if it's exhibiting a code. The car runs strong with no unusual fuel consumption.
Any help would be appreciated.
It can be multiple issues, Make sure all your grounds are good, remove your timing cover make sure your timing is correct, The 02 sensors you may have gotten could be bad as well. Keep me posted on your checks
Old 11-07-10 | 03:34 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by montgb
Hi! Long time listener, first time caller.

I am going to swap the steering wheel on my 06 IS350 - how do I make sure that the airbag doesn't deploy during this process? I've heard of methods such as holding the brake pedal down for 90 seconds, disconnecting the battery, etc, but I'd like to get an official answer.

Thanks in advance!
Disconnect the ground from the battery, wait 7-10minutes or depress the brake pedal to discharge the current and you can start removing, Be careful of the clock spring, If it untangles you will need a new unit which is costly. Mark the steering shaft with a marker so you install it straight.
Old 11-07-10 | 03:36 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BernieIS
I have a 2005 IS300 and the hood will not open. I have tried pulling the release from inside the car and the cable is very loose. The hood does not move when I do this. I assume that the cable has come loose from somewhere. Any suggestions on how to open the hood with no release from inside the car?
Gsoup hit it right on. Sorry for the late response.
Old 11-07-10 | 03:38 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
When its cold it kinda hits a stop feeling as your turning. I'm thinking its a valve that just doesn't like to move well. This is both directions. Anyone have this problem and know the cure? Its okay after it warms up a bit.
Check your power steering fluid and your rack if it has any obstruction or broken tie rod boot, You may have debris in it.

If the PS fluid has never been changed its highly recommended to do so; flush the system out.
Old 11-07-10 | 03:42 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jerryparks
My front turn signals are not working on either side. They do not light up or
blink when in use. I have checked all the usual suspects ( fuses, light sockets and lamps.) All are in excellent shape with no corresion. The rear
turn signal lights all work perfect. What am I missing? I am also not getting any codes. I am thinking about changing the 02 sensors.

What is the average MPG gas consumtion on mostly in town driving
on a '92 LS 400? I am getting just over 15, which I think is low.
Make sure you are getting voltage in the turn signal line, if not you may have a severed wire in the mix, Also make sure you have the correct type bulb in the sockets, some bulbs do not work.

In town driving always has higher consumption then highway. Make sure you use high octane 91-93 fuel, try switching fuel stations in case you get bad gas. Check your plugs and make sure you have the right weight oil in the vehicle, 5w30 winter, 10w30 summer.
Old 11-07-10 | 03:45 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

I would like to take the time to apologize to everyone who has posted and had to wait for a response. Been really busy with family and business. Also I normally get an email notification when their is a post on this thread and I have not been receiving it
Old 11-07-10 | 08:16 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

I just got my oil changed today at a 146779 miles with full synthetic on my 2001 es300. I have run dino oil from 0-69k miles then from then until now semi synthetic. My thoughts were with an older car in cold weather, the synthetic could only help, ut from what i've read, it may cause problems such as leaks. Is this true? should i switch back to semi synthetic or even conventional after this? I also thought it would be better since this engine was notorious for it sludge problems
Old 11-08-10 | 04:05 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
Disconnect the ground from the battery, wait 7-10minutes or depress the brake pedal to discharge the current and you can start removing, Be careful of the clock spring, If it untangles you will need a new unit which is costly. Mark the steering shaft with a marker so you install it straight.
Thank you! Disconnecting the battery alone did the trick - install was straightforward and drama-free.
Old 11-08-10 | 07:41 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I just got my oil changed today at a 146779 miles with full synthetic on my 2001 es300. I have run dino oil from 0-69k miles then from then until now semi synthetic. My thoughts were with an older car in cold weather, the synthetic could only help, ut from what i've read, it may cause problems such as leaks. Is this true? should i switch back to semi synthetic or even conventional after this? I also thought it would be better since this engine was notorious for it sludge problems
Since you have switched to synthetic I would leave it in their. Make sure you change your oil every 3k (synthetic can go longer fyi ) since the es is known for sludging change it every 3k and at every 10k I would throw in a new pcv valve. If your car is for local driving only I would take it for a long drive once a month to really get the motor running and clean up any carbon deposits.
Old 11-08-10 | 07:42 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by montgb
Thank you! Disconnecting the battery alone did the trick - install was straightforward and drama-free.
Awesome!, What wheel did you go with ? something with carbon ascents ? post pics up if you got.
Old 11-08-10 | 02:09 PM
louie1951
Rookie

Default 92 SC 400 speedometer

three weeks ago my cruise control would not grab at speeds greater than 55mph. two ago i noticed my speedometer needles was all over the place at speeds greater the 50 or so.
speeds on the interstate the needle goes done to zero, that's when i am around 90 mph. the odometer also begins to slow, where on the interstate i drive 50 miles, and onky 5 are clocked.
I HAVE:
1. replaced cruise control motor (used) today, no change

2. waiting for a speedometer sensor to arrive.

IT does not seem that the two are related, but there are so many motors and stuff, i do not know where to go other than the dealership, and they will replace everything.

any other thoughts?

Last edited by louie1951; 11-08-10 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-08-10 | 05:18 PM
jerryparks
Driver

Thanks Tach! I have the right 5/30 oil in the car. I'll check the bulbs and circuit tomorrow.
BTW: My trac light stays on "off" and will not turn on. Any ideas on this?

What should my MPG average be in town if all the items you mentioned are good?
Old 11-08-10 | 06:44 PM
sphillips
Rookie

Tach,

I have a 1997 ES300 with 133,XXX. I have seen posted on another forum that keeping the throttle body and IAC clean will make the car run much better. Besides cleaning the TB with a rag, should the IAC be removed to be cleaned by removing the TB, or can I remove it while the TB is still attached to the engine by removing the three rubber hoses and four screws holding it to the TB.

Thanks for any input

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician