NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10 | 08:45 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by louie1951
three weeks ago my cruise control would not grab at speeds greater than 55mph. two ago i noticed my speedometer needles was all over the place at speeds greater the 50 or so.
speeds on the interstate the needle goes done to zero, that's when i am around 90 mph. the odometer also begins to slow, where on the interstate i drive 50 miles, and onky 5 are clocked.
I HAVE:
1. replaced cruise control motor (used) today, no change

2. waiting for a speedometer sensor to arrive.

IT does not seem that the two are related, but there are so many motors and stuff, i do not know where to go other than the dealership, and they will replace everything.

any other thoughts?
This is a complicated situation, you can have a bad speed sensor on trans, bad wheel speed sensors and/or bad gauge cluster. A problem like this may have shorts somewhere in the electrical system. You will most likely need the dealer to handle this.
Old 11-08-10 | 08:49 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jerryparks
Thanks Tach! I have the right 5/30 oil in the car. I'll check the bulbs and circuit tomorrow.
BTW: My trac light stays on "off" and will not turn on. Any ideas on this?

What should my MPG average be in town if all the items you mentioned are good?
You may have a bad traction control ecm, a short in the wheel speed sensors. MPG is always hard to determine because it depends on the condition of the motor, each car varies; climate, elevation etc... all needs to be factored in. I cannot give you a number as it will be a guestimation.
Old 11-08-10 | 08:52 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sphillips
Tach,

I have a 1997 ES300 with 133,XXX. I have seen posted on another forum that keeping the throttle body and IAC clean will make the car run much better. Besides cleaning the TB with a rag, should the IAC be removed to be cleaned by removing the TB, or can I remove it while the TB is still attached to the engine by removing the three rubber hoses and four screws holding it to the TB.

Thanks for any input
Yes keeping the throttle body clean and IAC clean it will run better and idle smooth. You can remove the IAC while the throttle body is in the car however the philips bolts will end up stripping on you if you use a screw driver, Best method I have used in the past is to get needle nose vise grips and break the bolts loose then using a philips. If this task becomes complicated your better off removing the throttle body assembly as a whole and then removing the IAC; before you remove it go to the dealer and pick up a new IAC gasket as the old one will not be re-usable.
Old 11-09-10 | 06:20 PM
tonyfazt
Rookie

hello tach
1993 lexus ls400
since my car doesnt want to start after replacing the timing belt and water pump
my question is about the timing
if the three marks (2camshaft and crankshaft) on the timing belt all align and number one cylinder is at tdc would it matter if any of the two camshaft gears were moved during the installation of the timing belt
it cranks has gass and spark just wont start could it be an open/broken egr valve
Old 11-10-10 | 07:33 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Make sure the cams line up in TDC marks, and crank at TDC mark. Also make sure your Crank sensor teeth are not damaged; One cracked or missing tooth will cause the car not too start, also make sure the crank angle sensor is not unplugged or damaged, Make sure all plugs are connected.
Old 11-10-10 | 07:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
There is a steering rack recall for your vehicle. Go to a lexus dealer and they will warranty it. If they try to hit you off with an alignment they cannot as it is covered under the the rack replacement.
thanks! i believe it was already replaced though. I think it was done in the summer of 09, i'll have to check my paper work. if it was already done, would they do it again if its acting up? if so since its out of warranty it still should cost me nothing given its a recall correct?

also if it is the rack, since my car is lowered considerably would they try to blame it on that for being the reason why its bad?

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 11-10-10 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-10-10 | 10:54 AM
tonyfazt
Rookie

Make sure the cams line up in TDC marks, and crank at TDC mark. Also make sure your Crank sensor teeth are not damaged; One cracked or missing tooth will cause the car not too start, also make sure the crank angle sensor is not unplugged or damaged, Make sure all plugs are connected.
i will re do everything and check the crank sensor teeth
is the crank angle sensor (AKA crankshaft sensor ) the one by thetiming belt guide
Old 11-11-10 | 06:54 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
thanks! i believe it was already replaced though. I think it was done in the summer of 09, i'll have to check my paper work. if it was already done, would they do it again if its acting up? if so since its out of warranty it still should cost me nothing given its a recall correct?

also if it is the rack, since my car is lowered considerably would they try to blame it on that for being the reason why its bad?
If its been replaced once before they may not do it again, As for your car being dropped may give you more of an issue and blame it on that. How low is it ? 1-2" ? if its more than that you will def end up damaging something in the steering system as it has to work harder.
Old 11-11-10 | 06:55 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tonyfazt
i will re do everything and check the crank sensor teeth
is the crank angle sensor (AKA crankshaft sensor ) the one by thetiming belt guide
Yes, Its the piece the timing belt sits on down on the crankshaft.
Old 11-12-10 | 01:05 PM
tonyfazt
Rookie

Yes, Its the piece the timing belt sits on down on the crankshaft.
i redid everything still no go
but ifound what i think problem the camshaft sensors are not getting any power the cams themselves are good i checked them
when i open the key no power, when i crank the engine still no power is there a fuse to these
im going in trace these wires see where they lead me
thanks alot
Old 11-14-10 | 07:04 AM
tomfleck
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for you help! Own a 2001 RX300 with 133,000 miles that is starting to stutter and hesitate from full stop to initial forward motion. Sound like a repetitive chk-chk-chk last for about 10 times then stops. Once it starts to move all is fine through higher gears. THis is happening more frequently.

Friends who own 2 RX300s told me they had similar issues due to bad coil.
Old 11-14-10 | 07:51 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tonyfazt
i redid everything still no go
but ifound what i think problem the camshaft sensors are not getting any power the cams themselves are good i checked them
when i open the key no power, when i crank the engine still no power is there a fuse to these
im going in trace these wires see where they lead me
thanks alot
Check all the wires around the timing components when they were removed, maybe one or two got pinched or cut.
Old 11-14-10 | 07:53 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tomfleck
Thanks for you help! Own a 2001 RX300 with 133,000 miles that is starting to stutter and hesitate from full stop to initial forward motion. Sound like a repetitive chk-chk-chk last for about 10 times then stops. Once it starts to move all is fine through higher gears. THis is happening more frequently.

Friends who own 2 RX300s told me they had similar issues due to bad coil.
Try cleaning out your IAC motor and throttle body, Also if you have not replaced your spark plugs do that as well. When coil packs go bad its usually instantaneous.
Old 11-14-10 | 04:54 PM
steelers
Driver School Candidate

I am posting this as a Technical help thread for NELOC Lexus owners. I am in no way advertising a business or soliciting work. I am only on here to offering to help diagnose problems you may be having with your Lexus vehicles to get a jump on your repairs.

You can post your questions and/or info on your vehicles and I'll reply to them here!
I have an 2001 gs300. I am getting an obd code p0430. I replaced the front cat and an o2 sensor. Isnt this the code for a bank 2 o2 sensor? it wouldnt be the rear cat right? if it is a bank 2 sensors arent there two of them? if so how do i know which one?
Old 11-15-10 | 01:36 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by steelers
I have an 2001 gs300. I am getting an obd code p0430. I replaced the front cat and an o2 sensor. Isnt this the code for a bank 2 o2 sensor? it wouldnt be the rear cat right? if it is a bank 2 sensors arent there two of them? if so how do i know which one?
The gs300 have two cats right on the exhaust manifold, Did you cut one out and replace it or did you replace the entire manifold assembly. ?

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician