NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 06:18 PM
100bajan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 100bajan
I have a 98 GS400, no mods, and I got the P0446 code. I used a code reader at Advanced Auto, and I cleared it, what should I do next?
I took the car to get serviced and tuned, and was told the leak is coming from the intake box ( he showed me a diagram with a 17751 part number), the technician said it is a dealer part at $387. The leak is at the connection for the hoses, I was look to see if I could find the part cheaper somewhere, but so far I can't locate it. I assume it is because it is a dealer part, but I figured I could get one from a car that is being parted out. Just need to find a better way of describing the part or find out the name....any help?
Old 12-05-10, 06:30 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 283 Likes on 238 Posts

Tach Motor. I have a different kind of question. My 01 LS430 has 102,000 miles and has been serviced through Lexus just about every 5,000 miles. I am the 3rd owner and have had the car for 7 months. The car has 4 new Primacys with about 3,000 miles on them and they are all wearing evenly. Here is the question. I am used to driving a G35 Coupe and find the steering for the LS430 on the highway just feels "vague". It does not pull or drift. It is just that it does not feel all that responsive at highway speeds. The only other way to describe it is that I might have to always slightly correct the steering wheel while driving at 60 mph or higher speeds to make sure I am going straight ahead. Am I making myself clear? It is like drivng an older american car with recirculating ball steering and is not at all precise. Is this normal for our LS430s? My tire pressures are correct and I have not gotten a chance to drive another LS430 for comparison. There are no front end issues, and my alignment is within specs. Thanks for your help. I'm thinking this is characteristic to driving a "Barge".
Old 12-06-10, 09:22 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Just to add to the above post. I do not see any play in the steering. Standing still when turning the steering wheel there is no "free play" to speak of when looking at the front tires.
Old 12-06-10, 03:26 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ElitistK
Hello Tach_Motor,

2001 Lexus GS300 with 169k miles.

I got a p0174 system too lean code (bank 2). I just discovered that the bank 2 sensor 1 wiring somehow got detached and landed itself on the exhaust manifold! The 4 wiring is toasted (from the ECU side for about 1 foot) and I would like to know which wire gauges would I need to replace them with.

Thanks in advance.
Hi. 18 or 20 gauge wiring will work fine, Make sure you insulate them good.
Old 12-06-10, 03:31 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by i2pai2k
Hey Tach,

I have a 1993 Sc300, basically stock, minus a griffin rad. Currently has a 13lb cap that was lying around and no fan shroud. Transmission cooler lines are disconnected..waiting on a cooler. Hopefully im not forgetting anything crucial. So on to the problem. On cold start, turns over and dies. If i give it throttle i can force it to idle. After about 10-25 seconds of high idle(around 1500-1750, I can let off and she wont stall out. 2nd Problem. As soon as she starts to warm up, the idle goes up. Once at operating temp, idle is at 1350-1500. What Im thinking, Please correct me if im wrong.

1. Need a new, stronger rad cap 1.1, 1.3, or 1.5?
2. IAC??? Is there a special procedure/installation?
3. I have already installed CTS. NO MIL Currently

BIG Thanks in advance for all your help.

-Rob
Make sure none of your vacuum lines are frayed or cut in any way. Your problem seems to be coming from vacuum loss.
Old 12-06-10, 03:33 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

I took the car to get serviced and tuned, and was told the leak is coming from the intake box ( he showed me a diagram with a 17751 part number), the technician said it is a dealer part at $387. The leak is at the connection for the hoses, I was look to see if I could find the part cheaper somewhere, but so far I can't locate it. I assume it is because it is a dealer part, but I figured I could get one from a car that is being parted out. Just need to find a better way of describing the part or find out the name....any help?
Post a pic of the unit. I can better assist you
Old 12-06-10, 03:35 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Tach Motor. I have a different kind of question. My 01 LS430 has 102,000 miles and has been serviced through Lexus just about every 5,000 miles. I am the 3rd owner and have had the car for 7 months. The car has 4 new Primacys with about 3,000 miles on them and they are all wearing evenly. Here is the question. I am used to driving a G35 Coupe and find the steering for the LS430 on the highway just feels "vague". It does not pull or drift. It is just that it does not feel all that responsive at highway speeds. The only other way to describe it is that I might have to always slightly correct the steering wheel while driving at 60 mph or higher speeds to make sure I am going straight ahead. Am I making myself clear? It is like drivng an older american car with recirculating ball steering and is not at all precise. Is this normal for our LS430s? My tire pressures are correct and I have not gotten a chance to drive another LS430 for comparison. There are no front end issues, and my alignment is within specs. Thanks for your help. I'm thinking this is characteristic to driving a "Barge".
How are the tread patterns on the tires ? reason being if their flimsy ( squishy ) tread it will make your car feel off balance.
Old 12-06-10, 04:26 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hey Lucky, non Lex question lol. wheres the brake band adjustment on the 4EAT?
Old 12-06-10, 07:38 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
How are the tread patterns on the tires ? reason being if their flimsy ( squishy ) tread it will make your car feel off balance.
Primacys are one of the most popular tire choices for the LS430. It is an extremely quiet riding tire, and although V rated is not a performance tire. Do you think the "lack of feel" I am referring to is more pronounced because I am not using performance tires on the car? If so, I guess I would be resigned to live with what I have, as after all this a luxury car and handling should be secondary in the concern dept. I think that driving another LS430 with different tires might help me with the comparison.
Old 12-06-10, 07:54 PM
100bajan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
Post a pic of the unit. I can better assist you
I have the schematics that the dealer sent the shop, the part is labeled 17751, I think the engine cover has to be off to see where the hose connections are, that is where the leak is coming from, but the whole thing sells as a unit. Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
scan0001.pdf (557.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 12-07-10, 04:13 AM
100bajan
Pole Position

Default Driver side rear window

98 GS400
I replaced the window motor and now the window would close all the way and then reopen 1/4 way if I do the auto close. My sunroof does the same thing sometimes. I tried disconnecting the Negative battery terminal for 30sec, didn't work. I tried holding it all the way open, then all the way close as suggested for the sunroof, as soon as I removed my hand it opened back. I even tried putting my hand in the window when it was closing and it still didn't work
Old 12-07-10, 03:30 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
hey Lucky, non Lex question lol. wheres the brake band adjustment on the 4EAT?
LOL, call me. Ill explain it over the phone
Old 12-07-10, 03:31 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Primacys are one of the most popular tire choices for the LS430. It is an extremely quiet riding tire, and although V rated is not a performance tire. Do you think the "lack of feel" I am referring to is more pronounced because I am not using performance tires on the car? If so, I guess I would be resigned to live with what I have, as after all this a luxury car and handling should be secondary in the concern dept. I think that driving another LS430 with different tires might help me with the comparison.
Yes, I definitely agree.
Old 12-07-10, 03:35 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

I have the schematics that the dealer sent the shop, the part is labeled 17751, I think the engine cover has to be off to see where the hose connections are, that is where the leak is coming from, but the whole thing sells as a unit. Thanks in advance
pn# 17751 is a air diversion panel which has nothing to do with the leak. You may have a broken nipple on the air box or cracked hose. If you know someone who knows a thing or two about cars can fix the problem for you. You can go to an auto parts store and get epoxy to fix the unit.
Old 12-07-10, 03:44 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

98 GS400
I replaced the window motor and now the window would close all the way and then reopen 1/4 way if I do the auto close. My sunroof does the same thing sometimes. I tried disconnecting the Negative battery terminal for 30sec, didn't work. I tried holding it all the way open, then all the way close as suggested for the sunroof, as soon as I removed my hand it opened back. I even tried putting my hand in the window when it was closing and it still didn't work
You need to remove the window motor and re-initilize it. If I remember correctly, You need to completely remove the motor, connect the plug and hold the button up for 30 revolutions. Reinstall and your system will reset.

Sunroof you need to open the system all the way. Then you will need to hold the close button until it closes and opens back up and re-closes that will re-initialize it.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician