NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 10:14 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

Hi Tach. I've been trying to trace a very small coolant leak on my 2001 LS430 with 103,000 miles for some time without any luck. Very tiny white dots appear around the coolant reservoir area on the front black plastic and eventually along the sides. I never see anything wet and nothing ever drips down on the floor or plastic pan cover. The coolant level always remains full when hot. I've even removed all the coolant from the reservoir and the dots still show up around it. I changed the radiator cap and had it pressurized twice at my local shop but there is nothing noticeable. I pull over reguarly after driving and still see nothing. I've removed the plastic engine cover thing and observed all the hoses when cold and after running for awhile....still nothing. I was told it could be a pin hole leak in the radiator that will only get worse over time. In that case, it could also be a pin hole leak in one of the many hoses in my car. yes? I don't want to change the radiator until I am able to locate the leak. Any suggestions??? It's very frustrating. Thanks very much.
Old 03-11-11, 07:23 AM
Derrick42
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey bro..I got a 2001 IS300..the guy that had the car before me had it lowered ..I started to notice my inside of my tires was egging, so I took it to get a wheel alignment...they couldn't do it right because my tie rod ends need to be replacing, so now I'm eating thrw tires like crazy...I got my new set of tie rods so now my question is do I need a camber kit? If so do I need just the bolts or cams and bolts..don't know if I need them all around or just the front cuz my tires in the back are fine its the front two tires that I keep replacing.
Old 03-11-11, 03:40 PM
vitaman59
Driver School Candidate

Default Climate control problem sc430

My Temp change buttons will not decrease the temp setting, only increase the temp. When I reset ecu by removing battery power it goes to 75 degrees F. I ran the climate control diagnostic test and got codes 24 and 21. Will you give me advice and tell me what the 24 code means?
Old 03-12-11, 02:10 PM
100bajan
Pole Position

Hey Tach, does the 03 GS430 and the 98 GS400 share this inlet connector part, I looked at the pic for the SC400 and it looked different, you wouldn't happen to know the part number would you? Part #5, is of the 98 GS400 from www.Newlexusparts.com, the pics are from an 03 GS430 that I am looking at buying if it is the same, thanks
Attached Thumbnails Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-air-intake.gif   Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-img00239-20110312-1536.jpg   Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-img00240-20110312-1536.jpg  
Old 03-12-11, 04:19 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

Hi, I have an 07 IS250. There is some sort of residue that I would like to wipe off from the inside of the instrument gauge cluster. My dealership was telling me that a new cluster would need to be ordered because they can't take off the cover lens. I kind of don't buy it so, I'm here to ask you if this is true? Also, if you can guide me on how to remove the cover lens?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-11, 10:06 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Hi Tach. I've been trying to trace a very small coolant leak on my 2001 LS430 with 103,000 miles for some time without any luck. Very tiny white dots appear around the coolant reservoir area on the front black plastic and eventually along the sides. I never see anything wet and nothing ever drips down on the floor or plastic pan cover. The coolant level always remains full when hot. I've even removed all the coolant from the reservoir and the dots still show up around it. I changed the radiator cap and had it pressurized twice at my local shop but there is nothing noticeable. I pull over reguarly after driving and still see nothing. I've removed the plastic engine cover thing and observed all the hoses when cold and after running for awhile....still nothing. I was told it could be a pin hole leak in the radiator that will only get worse over time. In that case, it could also be a pin hole leak in one of the many hoses in my car. yes? I don't want to change the radiator until I am able to locate the leak. Any suggestions??? It's very frustrating. Thanks very much.
Dont drive yourself crazy. This issue happens to most ls430 models. There is no known fix for it. It will not hurt your motor in any way.
Old 03-12-11, 10:08 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Derrick42
Hey bro..I got a 2001 IS300..the guy that had the car before me had it lowered ..I started to notice my inside of my tires was egging, so I took it to get a wheel alignment...they couldn't do it right because my tie rod ends need to be replacing, so now I'm eating thrw tires like crazy...I got my new set of tie rods so now my question is do I need a camber kit? If so do I need just the bolts or cams and bolts..don't know if I need them all around or just the front cuz my tires in the back are fine its the front two tires that I keep replacing.
Are you lowered on coilovers or just springs? On some coilovers you have adjustable camber plates. On springs you use your stock shocks and tops. You could opt for some camber plates but I have not seen too much info on them or vouch if they work or not.
Old 03-12-11, 10:11 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vitaman59
My Temp change buttons will not decrease the temp setting, only increase the temp. When I reset ecu by removing battery power it goes to 75 degrees F. I ran the climate control diagnostic test and got codes 24 and 21. Will you give me advice and tell me what the 24 code means?
Those codes are for Intake air temperature and main 02 sensor. You may need a new climate control unit. It may be malfunctioning.
Old 03-12-11, 10:12 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 100bajan
Hey Tach, does the 03 GS430 and the 98 GS400 share this inlet connector part, I looked at the pic for the SC400 and it looked different, you wouldn't happen to know the part number would you? Part #5, is of the 98 GS400 from www.Newlexusparts.com, the pics are from an 03 GS430 that I am looking at buying if it is the same, thanks
Going by the pics it looks like it will work.
Old 03-12-11, 10:52 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
If this is for a Gs300 model then yes they should be interchangeable.
It's for a GS400.
Old 03-13-11, 02:24 PM
vitaman59
Driver School Candidate

Default Climate control problem sc430

Those codes are for Intake air temperature and main 02 sensor. You may need a new climate control unit. It may be malfunctioning.
Thanks TACH. So, the CCU gives codes for the whole car, hence O2 code on CCU, but not even a check engine light? Is that why you are saying the CCU is probably bad? You are so kind to give us your valuable insight, thanks again.
Old 03-13-11, 03:50 PM
100bajan
Pole Position

Going by the pics it looks like it will work.
Ok, I will try it, thanks.
Old 03-13-11, 06:54 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

Dont drive yourself crazy. This issue happens to most ls430 models. There is no known fix for it. It will not hurt your motor in any way.
Tach, Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the coolant is coming from?
Old 03-14-11, 09:24 AM
vitaman59
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by vitaman59
An update. Problem solved. The navigation system has been off the whole time the Temp down button would not work. I finally noticed this and decided to try turning it back on to test the climate control system. It started working perfectly again. Hope this will help others! Although it could be a quirk of the CCU on this car.
Old 03-15-11, 12:32 AM
saynthng
5th Gear

Default VGRS and Clearance Sonar initalization

Tach, replaced the battery on my 06 GS 430, reset the auto windows and moonroof, but my parking sensors are buzzing without anything in front of them, and steering feels like it's "intervening" while I drive. On the 430 it says on at TSB (the one for the EPS replacement) the following need to be done:

• Clearing of the rotation angle sensor calibration value • Initialization of the rotation angle sensor • Calibration of the torque sensor zero point • Calibration of the VGRS actuator angle (GS 430 Vehicles Only) • Neutral calibration of the VGRS actuator angle (GS 430 Vehicles Only)

as well as:

Clearance Sonar System • Power Window Control System • Sliding Roof System • VGRS System (GS 430 Vehicles Only)

Any help on the initialization of the Sonar and VGRS would be awesome, and thanks for helping everyone here!

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician