NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11 | 01:52 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

hey tach, I just changed my rims and tires on my 06 GS300, and forgot to swap the tpms from the factory wheel so now the check system light is on, come to find out the rims I put on have tpms on them , can I get these programmed to the car? and can i go to like pep boys, or I have to go to the dealer to get it done, thanxk for your help
Old 03-20-11 | 02:01 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

hey tach, i would like to come visit ur shop can message me the info
Old 03-20-11 | 04:39 PM
LiCelsior
Retired
CL Folding 500000

^^^Address
Old 03-21-11 | 03:35 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Hey Tech, the remote on my GS400 doesn't unlock any of the doors or the trunk. Have to manually open the doors on the passenger side to get in. What sort of fuses/relays should I be looking for before I change out the remote? Where is the receiver located?
Old 03-23-11 | 07:26 PM
27nupe94
Driver School Candidate

Default Timing Belt Help Needed 96 SC300

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
Timing is not too complicated to do on these motors. The crank bolt is the hardest to break free. You will need a massive breaker bar to knock the bolt loose. And the 2jz motor is interference. What you can do is set the timing belt on and do a compression test on each cylinder to determine what cylinder may be low. If you find a low cylinder you found your bent valves.
Tach thanks a lot for your help. I went forward in my attempt to change my timing belt. I have a followed the instructions given in a repair manual exactly. Upon my removal of the upper timing belt covers I found that the belt has not broken. So my no start condition had nothing to do with my timing belt.

Oh well since I have removed everything I decided to move forward and change the belt anyway. However I am stuck at the part where I need to remove the crank shaft pulley bolt and need some definitive advice. My instructions state that I need line up the crank shaft pulley mark & cam marks to the respective marks on the timing belt covers BEFORE I remove the CS Bolt. My problem: no matter how many times I turn the crank shaft over (clockwise only) the 3 timing marks never line up with the corresponding marks on the belt covers. The cam shaft marks are synchronized and will both line up at the same time but then CS pulley mark will then be off.

Can you or anybody tell me what I may be doing wrong? Do all 3 marks have to line up to change the belt properly? Again the belt is not broken, and it has tension on it. It has not skipped any teeth either, during my inspection I knocked off a couple of teeth, but not many. The cam shafts still turn in unison.

See my pictures below. After turning the crankshaft numerous times this is as close as I can get the 3 marks to line up. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Pic 002 & 003 (1st two) are where the marks ended up on my first attempt to line up with the CS pulley yellow notch.

Pic 004 & 005 (2nd two) are where the marks ended up when I turned a few more times and tried to line up with the second mark (the white one). It was closer but the cam shaft marks still did not line up with the belt cover notches.

Pic 007 (last) shows where the crankshaft pulley notch ends up when I turn it far enough to have the cam shaft marks & notches line up properly.

HELP! I don't know where to go from here. I love this car and don't want to take a shortcut and destroy my valves.
Attached Thumbnails Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-sc300-002.jpg   Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-sc300-003.jpg   Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-sc300-004.jpg   Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-sc300-005.jpg   Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician-sc300-007.jpg  

Old 03-23-11 | 07:33 PM
27nupe94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 27nupe94
Tach thanks a lot for your help. I went forward in my attempt to change my timing belt. I have a followed the instructions given in a repair manual exactly. Upon my removal of the upper timing belt covers I found that the belt has not broken. So my no start condition had nothing to do with my timing belt.

Oh well since I have removed everything I decided to move forward and change the belt anyway. However I am stuck at the part where I need to remove the crank shaft pulley bolt and need some definitive advice. My instructions state that I need line up the crank shaft pulley mark & cam marks to the respective marks on the timing belt covers BEFORE I remove the CS Bolt. My problem: no matter how many times I turn the crank shaft over (clockwise only) the 3 timing marks never line up with the corresponding marks on the belt covers. The cam shaft marks are synchronized and will both line up at the same time but then CS pulley mark will then be off.

Can you or anybody tell me what I may be doing wrong? Do all 3 marks have to line up to change the belt properly? Again the belt is not broken, and it has tension on it. It has not skipped any teeth either, during my inspection I knocked off a couple of teeth, but not many. The cam shafts still turn in unison.

See my pictures below. After turning the crankshaft numerous times this is as close as I can get the 3 marks to line up. Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Pic 002 & 003 (1st two) are where the marks ended up on my first attempt to line up with the CS pulley yellow notch.

Pic 004 & 005 (2nd two) are where the marks ended up when I turned a few more times and tried to line up with the second mark (the white one). It was closer but the cam shaft marks still did not line up with the belt cover notches.

Pic 007 (last) shows where the crankshaft pulley notch ends up when I turn it far enough to have the cam shaft marks & notches line up properly.

HELP! I don't know where to go from here. I love this car and don't want to take a shortcut and destroy my valves.
I also want to mention that the CS pulley shown in the picture is fairly new. The old one's rubber outer piece separated from the pulley, so it had to be replaced about 4 months prior to my getting the no start condition. The new one shown was installed by a Lexus certified tech at a reputable shop. That shop changed the timing belt on my other two vehicles last year (RX300 & GS 300) without issue.
Old 03-23-11 | 07:52 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Hey TACH, I got a simple question for you, I hope. 93 LS400. My timing belt jumped after only 14K miles. Also I have a bad Air Flow Meter, which has been unplugged for about 10K of those miles. I was wondering, Would the bad AFM advance/retard the timing enough to stretch the T-belt to where it would jump? I know it's running rich and the plugs were just about fouled b/c of it. I do need to change the AFM but money is tight and was just wondering if I should do it before I spend money on other repairs.
TIA
Old 03-24-11 | 08:30 AM
trickedout
Rookie

Hey Tach, I have been trying to get an answer to this question for quite sometime with no avail. I am hoping that you can help me. I have 97 Es300 with about 188k miles on it. My tail lamps are not working when I have on my headlights. They just stopped coming on one day. No sign of one of them going out or anything. They just all went. My license plate light is on and one of the bulbs are working. None of the other ones are working. The fuse is good and all the bulbs are good. I replaced them all. I took it to a shop to get it diagnosed and they said it was a "module 2". What is that module? I know I can fix it myself if I can order the module and find out where it is, but I have been searching and searching for days with no success. It is pretty imperative that I get this fixed as quickly as possible because I got pulled over and the police said that state troopers would take my car if they saw it like that. I appreciate all the help that you can give me in advance.

-Troy
Old 03-28-11 | 02:44 PM
RolxuSC400
Instructor

Default Hey Tach - Help on Speedometer Issue

I have a 92 Sc400 and the speedometer is of by 20mph (speedometer shows 40 but actually going 60). Any thoughts what could cause this to happen? I searched the forums and some said speed sensors, other say cluster but nothinjg definitive. You have any suggestions?

Car has 84k miles on it BTW if that makes any difference.
Old 03-29-11 | 01:51 PM
ruff14u
Driver School Candidate

just replaced engine in 1996 gs 300 but it wont run. new plugs, starter fluid, charged battery, etc. gets fire and fuel. i
I'm stumped. crank sensor maybe? does distributor supposed to have power wire?
Old 03-31-11 | 07:58 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Percy
It's for a GS400.
Sorry for the late reply. Your easiest bet is to call a lexus dealer and ask them if the pn# is interchangeable.
Old 03-31-11 | 07:59 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vitaman59
Thanks TACH. So, the CCU gives codes for the whole car, hence O2 code on CCU, but not even a check engine light? Is that why you are saying the CCU is probably bad? You are so kind to give us your valuable insight, thanks again.
Sorry for the late reply.The system is funny like that. I would have it scanned for pending codes or stored codes to confirm.
Old 03-31-11 | 08:01 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Tach, Just out of curiosity, does anyone know where the coolant is coming from?
Sorry for the late reply. It just overflows from the coolant reservoir. Not necessarily overflowing but condensation + humidity etc makes the coolant crust over and causes it to come out. Toyota fluid is strange like that
Old 03-31-11 | 08:03 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by saynthng
Tach, replaced the battery on my 06 GS 430, reset the auto windows and moonroof, but my parking sensors are buzzing without anything in front of them, and steering feels like it's "intervening" while I drive. On the 430 it says on at TSB (the one for the EPS replacement) the following need to be done:

• Clearing of the rotation angle sensor calibration value • Initialization of the rotation angle sensor • Calibration of the torque sensor zero point • Calibration of the VGRS actuator angle (GS 430 Vehicles Only) • Neutral calibration of the VGRS actuator angle (GS 430 Vehicles Only)

as well as:

Clearance Sonar System • Power Window Control System • Sliding Roof System • VGRS System (GS 430 Vehicles Only)

Any help on the initialization of the Sonar and VGRS would be awesome, and thanks for helping everyone here!
Sorry for the late reply. You will need the dealer to work on this, If you havent had your steering rack warrantied yet then have that done and they will warranty the calibrations and re-activate your parking sensors
Old 03-31-11 | 08:05 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mr3gs300
hey tach, I just changed my rims and tires on my 06 GS300, and forgot to swap the tpms from the factory wheel so now the check system light is on, come to find out the rims I put on have tpms on them , can I get these programmed to the car? and can i go to like pep boys, or I have to go to the dealer to get it done, thanxk for your help
Sorry for the late reply. You can have any place do it as long as it reads the tpms. But Im not sure if they can write it into the ecu as that may be a dealer privilege only.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician