NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 09:18 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Got this figured out but I'd still like an answer if ya don't mind.

Hey TACH, thanks for the help in the past. I have a question about timing on someone else's 96 LS400. (not on my 93) It's another member but I'm not familiar with the interference motor. Before the T-belt was taken off all three timing marks were lined up. (crank and both cams) Turned it another 50* after TDC. Pulled the belt off, worked on couple other things and the L cam pulley (drivers side) accidentally got turned a little bit, maybe another 10* clockwise. The crank and R cam are still where they were before the belt came off, 50* ATDC.
Question is; should he spin the L cam counter clockwise back to where the timing mark is supposed to be? Or should it be turned clockwise to get to the timing mark? B/c it already spun 10*, if he goes clockwise it will go another 350* to make one full turn, (360*) on the L cam only. Would that cause damage? Remember, the crank is still at 50*ATDC. He doesn't want to hurt anything with it being an interference motor. Now, he tried going counter clockwise and says there is resistence, I don't know how much resistence like if it's solid or like the spring is compressing. He's getting different answers so I figured I would help him out more and ask an actual Lexus tech. I appreciate whatever answer, thanks.

You probably already taken care of this, If you set the motor to TDC and the cams move after the belt is off you can just reset it to the timing marks and you will be ok.
Old 08-14-11, 09:53 AM
ACaldwell
Driver School Candidate

Default Air/fuel sensors and o2 sensors

I have a 02 ES300. Can somebody please tell me starting from the manifold and going down which are which as far as the sensors goes? There is one in the manifold, two below that next to each other and another one buy the fire wall and the another. Trying to find bank 2 sensor 1. Thought it was the one in the manifold but guess I'm wrong. I have a new Bosch one part number 13737 and don't have a clue where it goes. Now I have to buy another one for the manifold and don't know what to get.
Old 08-14-11, 12:11 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dcrockett
'99 LS400, 55,000 miles. When I insert the key (master key? black plastic fob with three buttons - trunk button not functioning, by the way) The security light flashes and the car won't recognize the key...for over a minute sometimes. I can turn the starter, but it won't fire up. But after a time, I hear an audible click, the check light engine comes on, the security light quits flashing, the tach needle jumps to life, and the "P" lights up. Then it starts, every time.

Also, I have a copied key, from Ace Hardware, that will open the door, and will eventually cause the security light to stop flashing, but usually doesn't start the car.

Any thoughts?
You have a programming issue. The chip in the key is probably malfunctioning. Purchase a new key from the dealer and have it programmed.
Old 08-14-11, 12:13 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PHASHAC
my IS200 wont start there is spark on the plugs,the throttle body is fine the timing is fine we tried to check the fault codes. the machine picks up no fault codes.the engine turns well when cranking ,it it sounds like it will start but never picks up.it is automatic 1999 model.also the immobiliser does go off when starting.Where else can we check for faults
If you have more then one key try using another key. Also check if you are getting fuel, When you remove the spark plug is it saturated in fuel ? if its dry and does not smell like fuel then you have a fuel pump issue or possible bad relay.
Old 08-14-11, 12:14 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 100bajan
I am wondering if the AC Compressor for the 98 GS400 is the same as the 98 SC400? I need to know ASAP if possible. Thank you
Sorry for the late response. It is the same unit
Old 08-14-11, 12:15 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDPruitt65
Hello. 1991 LS400/ Small fuel from the top openning of the Fuel Pressure Damper. No other leaks present. Would replacing the damper solve the issue.

Thanks,
Michael
Mike,

If you are having some fuel leak from the damper go ahead and replace that. Make sure you get new o-rings for the damper.
Old 08-14-11, 12:19 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StopOnce
It is 2000 Toyota Altezza (New Zealand) which is (I think LS300), Model: GXE10, It has only 1 pully for cam shaft. Engine 1G-FE
Ok, Take out the VVT-I solenoid and take out the filter check and see if it is clogged. If not power up VVT solenoid but adding power and ground to see if it is actuating if not purchase a new unit.
Old 08-14-11, 12:20 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDPruitt65
I have included a pic of the area in question. Bottom right corner:

Pic is too small but repalce the damper and install new o-rings
Old 08-14-11, 12:22 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2slowsc300
95 sc300 stock throwing code 71(egr malfunction) no biggie but code 12(rpm signal) it misses an runs like **** was clearing up after a min or two but it stays that way now. Im assuming distributor is bad correct me if im wrong thanks

Change out your plugs, plug wires, dist cap and rotors, EGR may be getting stuck, You will just have to purchase a new unit.
Old 08-14-11, 12:25 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DJ420
1998 gs400 125k. A/c issue: When the a/c works, it's cold as ice. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes turning the temperature to 65 will kick it back on, sometimes it wont. It'll blow cold, then all of a sudden it will blow hot. Compressor SEEMS to be cycling during both temperatures. I had it evacuated and recharged, and all of it was there.. so no leaks. I havent had gauges on it tho, since.. is the compressor common? I was hoping ambient switch? Sunload sensor? Help!
Check and see under the dash if the arm that controls the cold/hot switch is working normal or if it is getting stuck. They normally go bad when they dont get the proper connection. Compressor wouldnt have anything to do with it. If the compressor turns off the air would eventually become ambient air coming from the ducts not hot. This looks to be a bad switch
Old 08-14-11, 12:26 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UncleRay
Hey Tech! Would like to know if you can provide a schematic for the locations of the Oxygen Sensors on the 99 GS400 please? Many thanks in advance.
What kind of schematics ? how the sensors communicate with the ecm or just locations ?
Old 08-14-11, 12:28 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by glentamur
I parked my car and the next time I got into it, it wouldn't start. All the lights came on when I turned the key but there isn't any noise from the starter. Might there be any fuses or relays that might have blown. The battery is good and charged. Any suggestions? it's a 1994 LS 400
You will have to get a test light and check all fuses. Check your battery terminal to see if it is loose or tight. If your key has an immobilizer try using another key to see if it works.
Old 08-14-11, 12:31 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2slowsc300
95 sc300 throws code 12 but only starts missing after gets to running temp is this coolant temp sensor putting it n limp mode
How many miles on the car ? Have you replaced the t-belt, plugs, wires cap and rotor ?
Old 08-14-11, 12:33 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WMGS300
Hi I have a 1999 GS300 with just over 140,000 miles on it. I recently had the brake booster assembly replaced. Before it was replaced there would be an awful squealing noise which would end in a high pitched buzzer sounding and these four lights turning on on the dashboard: VSC, ABS, VSC OFF, and the red BRAKE light. Replacing the booster assembly did the trick. However, a few days after the replacement, the VSC, ABS, and VSC OFF lights came back on but with no noise and no red BRAKE light. Could it be something with one of the brake sensors? If so, how much do they usually cost per sensor? The second issue is a noise coming from the engine. It happens when the engine is between 1,000 and 1,100 RPM. The noise is a rattling, metallicy sound. Could it be that some piece of metal near the engine is loose and the frequency from that RPM range makes it rattle? Thanks in advance for your help!
Did you have the booster replaced by the dealer ? After a booster is installed the system needs to be calibrated. There may still be codes left in it that need to be cleared.
Old 08-14-11, 12:36 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=loccsta187;6594897]2006 lexus gs430 getting CHECK VSC / trac off / check engine light / and the yellow exclamation next to it

i ran the code and i'm getting P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

i thought it might have been the gas cap because it came off with no effort at all, replaced the gas cap and the light is back on

HELP!![/QUOTE

Take it to the dealer and they will replace it. The cat is not working properly. Also I would replace bank 1 sensor 1 & 2 while your at it.

Dealer may have you replace the sensors first before they warranty the cat so you will have to pay for that and if it comes back on they will do the cat under warranty and use the new sensors on that.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician