NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 07:10 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you purchased the car from a Lexus dealer then they are responsible for the alarm working or not working. You can report them to the BBB. This will scare them into fixing your issue. If you purchased it from an outside dealer (non lexus) Then you are on your own about the alarm situation. You can take it to an outside shop and have them remove it and install a new unit or you can go to lexus and have them remove it and install a new unit which they will be responsible for if any issues arise. If your claim is documented within 30 days of the issue it can be used against them if you take them to court. There are alot of factors and I can keep going. Do let me know if this answers your question or leads you in the right direction

As for installing aftermarket items such as in-dash, rims, suspension etc.... That will not void your warranty as it is not emissions related BUT!!! if you install a suspension kit and you notice adverse tire wear,weird noises etc.. They can blame the suspension and not warranty the work to fix it which means you will have to pay the diagnostic fee etc.. So there are ups and downs when it comes to modding a car.
Old 01-06-10, 08:14 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey how much to install springs on my 98gs300 send me a pm
Old 01-07-10, 04:23 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Sorry im not a vendor on this forum so I am not allowed to solicite any form of work or sell parts. Once I open my shop (1-2 months) I will be joining the vendor community. Thanks
Old 01-07-10, 07:34 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TACH_MOTOR
If you purchased the car from a Lexus dealer then they are responsible for the alarm working or not working. You can report them to the BBB. This will scare them into fixing your issue. If you purchased it from an outside dealer (non lexus) Then you are on your own about the alarm situation. You can take it to an outside shop and have them remove it and install a new unit or you can go to lexus and have them remove it and install a new unit which they will be responsible for if any issues arise. If your claim is documented within 30 days of the issue it can be used against them if you take them to court. There are alot of factors and I can keep going. Do let me know if this answers your question or leads you in the right direction

As for installing aftermarket items such as in-dash, rims, suspension etc.... That will not void your warranty as it is not emissions related BUT!!! if you install a suspension kit and you notice adverse tire wear,weird noises etc.. They can blame the suspension and not warranty the work to fix it which means you will have to pay the diagnostic fee etc.. So there are ups and downs when it comes to modding a car.
Thank you for the response. I purchased it from a Lexus dealer in april/2008. I believe the original owner had the original Lexus dealer install the remote start, which is why the service dept said its "aftermarket".

The salesman told me if I have it fixed at an outside shop and later on any problem arises, the dealership would most likely blame it on the other shop's work. So he told me to bring the car in and he'll have it serviced at the shop they outsource work to. So if a problem occurs, it was done through the dealer.

I have to take the car in for a broken hood latch cable, so I will bring up the issue again.
Old 01-07-10, 08:34 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

That is true what the salesman said however the fact that it is already "aftermarket" even though a lexus dealer installed it means they will say anything to avoid looking over the car.

When you take it into the dealer mention that the car came with the alarm already installed on the car so it is not your fault to begin with. If they keep giving you the run around ask to speak to a GM ( General Manager ) tell him this is not the service I expected from a Lexus dealer and that the alarm was installed by Lexus. Warranty it or go straight to Lexus Headquarters and complain. Headquarters are not sympathetic to dealerships. They favor customer satisfaction over all.
Old 01-07-10, 09:29 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Will do, thanks!

Warranty it or go straight to Lexus Headquarters and complain.
What do you mean by "warranty it"?
Old 01-07-10, 11:00 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

warranty it as in they will diagnose the problem and probably fix it without charging you.
Old 01-07-10, 11:21 AM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

TACH,

so I am going to tackle the inner/outer tie rods and Lower ball joints on my 01 GS430 myself (well with some NELOC friends), do you have any hints/tricks/special tools needed that would be helpful and make the installation "easier"?

I have driven the car sparringly over the last 2 months because of the fear of having the LBJ fail on me, so this should make me not worry as much and get rid of some vibrations.

Thanks, as always,
Chris
Old 01-07-10, 12:50 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Chris,

You should be o.k doing everything except for maybe the inner tie rod. You will need alot of leverage to get it loose if you got it jacked up that may pose a problem. If you run into problems while doing it p.m me and I will come help you guys out. Enjoy
Old 01-07-10, 01:33 PM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

warranty it as in they will diagnose the problem and probably fix it without charging you.
sorry, i misread it! thanks again

Last edited by ErseOne; 01-07-10 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 02:32 PM
elemgee
Driver School Candidate

Default SC300 Heater Not Working

I took the car to two dealerships and the one which seemed competent told me that it looks like the radiator. They pointed out that the top of the radiator gets hot, but the bottom stays cold, which indicates a blockage. So I've ordered a new radiator and I'll see if that fixes the problem.

Larry,

Check the heater control switch it may be getting stuck and not letting it fully go from cool air to warm air. You may have to remove the glove box to check how its operating. Also double check your coolant level see if its low or not. If its low coolant does not reach the evaporator. Keep me posted
Old 01-10-10, 02:35 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

You should replace the upper and lower radiator hoses while your at it. Also replace the thermostat if you haven't already.
Old 01-10-10, 09:23 PM
SnoopyBQ
Pit Crew

how do you become a Lexus Certified Technician? what are the steps? where do you work right now? Sounds like a cool job!!
Old 01-11-10, 04:13 AM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

Here is what I did. I worked at a few Lexus dealerships; While working I obtained all my ASE certifications attaining master level. I then took all Lexus training classes at the training facility out in NJ and once you complete it you become certified by Lexus. Ofcourse their are new courses coming out every so often and you have to attend them to remain certfied but the core classes have been taken.

I am currently in the process of opening up a Speed Shop out in Queens/L.I. Which I will then become a vendor here.
Old 01-12-10, 10:50 AM
TankMR
Lead Lap

MR. TACH

I have a 98 SC400, owned it for 1 year and 2 months. Love it but it has been a nightmare in the suspension department. It drove perfect when i bought it. Blew my shocks and had worn LCAs so I replaced them with Coilovers and OEM Toyota Supra Arms.

My car still ride horribly. Mainly, I experience the absolute worst bump steer imaginable. Every crack and crevice is felt in the road. I just got back from another shop to diagnose and they said nothing is wrong underneath. They simply wrote the insane bump steer off as an unfortunate side affect of the lowered stance of the car (BS because I experienced this before I had those things installed, but not when I first bought the car) There is no way I can live with that, what else would you suggest?

PS: The steering also feels loose and no responsive, but again this reputable shop said there was nothing wrong underneath.

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician