NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 06:43 AM
keyfig
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heater blowing cold air at idle

I have a 1996 ls400 with 145,000 miles on it. I noticed last winter the heater would blow cold air when idling at a stoplight. As soon as you take off, it would blow warm air. Also, during the summer I noticed the engine would run warm to hot when idling. The heater core valve will open when the heater is on but it seems there just isn't enough oomph to get the coolant circulating through it. I am assuming the two are related. My mechanic cleaned the throttle body which seemed to help for a short while. Now the problem is occurring more often. When it starts to get warm, in the past I just had to rev the engine to force the coolant to circulate, now it takes a while to get the temp to come back down. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 09-29-11, 04:07 PM
DJRATEDR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging system issues ...

i recently upgraded from my '92 ls400 to a '97 ls400 and i'm having issues with my charging system. instead of just taking it to the shop to have it checked, i assumed (since it was giving all the classic signs) that it was the alternator. $250 later ... it's still doing the same thing (radio cutting out, car running sluggish, windows and accessories acting funny, battery dying after several days, battery not charging) ... had the alternator checked and it's within range (13.5V - 15V).
Old 10-03-11, 09:11 AM
Brittman
Driver School Candidate

Hello I have a LS400 with 215k miles.
My cel came on so I replaced the air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, timing belt and water pump. I was receiving codes p0171, 0300, 0301, 0303, 0305, 0307, 1346, and 1349. I then went ahead and changed coils 1, 3, 5, and 7 but still majority of the same codes still appear except for 1346 & 0171 but now p0306 also comes up. I was thinking to change the ocv and check the filter but with this new misfire I'm not sure what's going on. I am a struggling student and in need of some expert advice
Old 10-04-11, 10:10 PM
BanditSC3
Driver School Candidate

Default 2overheats?

I have a 95 sc300. The other day I messed up. During a normal outing. Top radiator hose blew. I pulled over walked to nearest auto parts store replaced hose refilled with tap water ( needed to get home) on the way home the pure water became hot created pressure blew my overflow cap off steam everywhere all of a sudden.... now besides a blown headgasket (I think) the water does not circulate through radiator, top hose hot, middle radiator and bottom stay cold. Strangely car does not seem to be overheating though... there is a milky substance on oil fill cap plenty smoke and water outta tailpipe (headgasket.... anyway what's going on with the cooling system?
Old 10-07-11, 10:08 AM
ssastre711
Driver School Candidate

I am going to switch from regular oil to synthetic on my 2008 ES-350 and a mechanic told me that I don't have to flush the system because it's an '08; is this true???
Old 10-07-11, 02:32 PM
Bott63
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dave,

Care to chime in on this one?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...ng-issues.html
Old 10-10-11, 12:13 PM
2lou
Driver School Candidate

what indication can I expect when it is time to replaace my brakes. the dealer says I should replace the rear but they always seem early. I have a 2005 ES330. The manula says a clicking noise but is it reliable?

I would appreaciate it
Old 10-10-11, 05:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

@2lou, remove the wheel and take a look at the brake pads, see how much life is still in them.
Old 10-10-11, 05:21 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Originally Posted by 1lowcressy
okay i need some clarification on the JZ series crank pulley. My engine came without the crank pulley so ive been looking for stock replacements. But i have a few questions
1. is there a difference between 1/2jzge and 1/2jzgte crank pulleys?
2. my engine set came from a 1st gen. GS300 will only 1st gen JZ crank pulleys work?
3. Could i use a underdrive (cheapo ebay 1) crank pulley with my stock accessory pulleys? (alt., power steering, mechanical water pump)
1. check with forums and see if anyone else has ran a 1j crank pulley.
2. if its a stock 2jzge then im sure the SC one would fit also, just make sure its not a VVT-i motor.
3. if its a direct replacement then yea it will work.

Originally Posted by mcneilj10
Hello, I drive a 94 es300 and I'm having trouble starting up my car after rain and extremely hot weather. At first I thought it was the alternator, got that replaced. But first I did the battery. Then, moved to the starter. There's a hole in my flex pipe, and I'm planning on putting that on next. But anyway I was expecting a distributor cap problem (thinking maybe moisture) but the lexus doesn't have that. Could it be the sparks plugs and coil packs. This is becoming a nausence to me, cuz I brought it from a private owner who said it was taken care of, but I knew that I had to do work to it but I wasnt expecting to do this much work so soon. I just need to get the right answer before I proceed with the repairs. Thanx.

(Ps the battery and alternator were bad)
check your battery terminals and check the wires running to the battery.

Originally Posted by MizRX300
I have a 4WD 2000 RX300. I experienced problems with the battery, replaced the battery and now the truck will start, but will not go into gear and the interior lights, dash and console, are not working. I did a little research and found that it may be the alternator fuse. After checking the fuse box, we discovered the previous owner had jimmy rigged the fuse, so I purchased a new fuse from the dealer, 140A. My son is working on the truck and can not figure out how to install the fuse it doesn't seem to fit into the slot.
Thanks in advance for you assistance.
the ghetto bypass mightve melted the housing and thats why its not fitting.

Originally Posted by AlanBoyles
Break Down-Started by changing air ride to normal struts(No Problem),The key has been jamming for a while so I bought a used steering column with key so switched(it came off of a 1991)when key is in acc radio comes on ,that’s it/switch to on, then dash lights up, turn all the way and nothing--no sound--all quite

no sign of fuses blown or relays.

I’m stuck... does anyone have an idea...

spoke to Lexus to make sure if the key does NOT have to be programmed and it does NOT..

Any help please....
make sure the fuses arent blown, u might kinked a wire somewhere when the swap was done. or the amp mightve just went coincidentally went out at the same time.

Originally Posted by ls400rgr
FYI -

1999 LS 400 brought into dealer with faulty headlights and air conditioning that just froze up. Dealer quotes $250 for part to replace headlight switch. Also quoted $1400 for replacing a/c clutch and compressor. Could not just the clutch be replaced? Hate to spend upwards to $2k on a car that is not work much more. Car / engine still ride great. Appreciate advice / prior experience of anyone
yea the AC compressor could be rebuilt.

Originally Posted by DJRATEDR
i recently upgraded from my '92 ls400 to a '97 ls400 and i'm having issues with my charging system. instead of just taking it to the shop to have it checked, i assumed (since it was giving all the classic signs) that it was the alternator. $250 later ... it's still doing the same thing (radio cutting out, car running sluggish, windows and accessories acting funny, battery dying after several days, battery not charging) ... had the alternator checked and it's within range (13.5V - 15V).
check your battery terminals and the wires.

Originally Posted by ssastre711
I am going to switch from regular oil to synthetic on my 2008 ES-350 and a mechanic told me that I don't have to flush the system because it's an '08; is this true???
should have no problem going from dino oil to synthetic.
Old 10-10-11, 05:28 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Evap code. p0440 and p0446. my mpg is still the same. 20mpg city.

Need help pin pointing exact issue, instead trying this and that. i know its related to evap. checked all the hose, no loose hose. gas cap is good. what else could it be?

thanks for the help.
Old 10-14-11, 09:26 PM
SCott300
Driver

Today I installed a set of the ebay headlights on my car, while I had the headlight out I took the opportunity to change my front passenger side turn signal. It seemed like it was burned out because when I turned on the turn signal the bulb would not light, so I pulled the bulb to replace it, but noticed that the bulb itself was still good. I put a new bulb in anyways and the turn signal still didnt work. I unclipped the the housing that the bulb plugs into, to put a test light onto the harness to see if I was getting power to the bulb or not. I turned the turn signal on and when I put the test light to it I blew the fuse. I then turned my emergency flashers on and when I put the test light to the harness again, It blew that fuse too. I put everything back together put all bulbs back in and replaced the two fuses that I blew, but now my car wont start. I cranks like it wants to start, but no fire. I checked all fuses, under the hood and inside the car and all are good. WTF
PLEASE HELP
The only thing I can think of, is that I might of ark-ed the circuit through the turn signal wiring. Could that have fried anything more than the fuses to cause this problem?
Old 10-15-11, 09:21 AM
eagleeye
Rookie

I have a gs300 and the check engine light came on. I had it checked out and was told that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. My question is which one do I replace????
Old 10-20-11, 08:12 PM
2cars4Trbo
Rookie

1995 Lexus SC400. Ten seconds after turning it on the CEL comes on. At 60mph I feel a little hiccup as well every couple of minutes or so. Car died out while idling once over the past week. Please help!

heres a vid in diagnostic mode

(why is my O/D light blinking?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1p3G...eature=related
Old 10-23-11, 07:38 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

its normal for it to blink rapidly in diag mode, that means its fine.

ur CEL looks like engine code 13 which means ur car is out of timing. remove the timing belt covers and spin the crank to TDC and check the marks.
Old 10-24-11, 07:09 AM
2cars4Trbo
Rookie

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
its normal for it to blink rapidly in diag mode, that means its fine.

ur CEL looks like engine code 13 which means ur car is out of timing. remove the timing belt covers and spin the crank to TDC and check the marks.
Thank You!

Quick Reply: Member Help thread from a Lexus Certified Technician