NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Carlisle Monstrosity

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 03:09 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I already told the Carlisle staff that we would probably not return.

Originally Posted by Habious
I couldn't agree more that the folks at the Carlisle event treated us like poop!

The cool/VERY breezy weather is no one's fault...but the way NELOC was treated is just simply unacceptable.

We're not asking for money...or advertising space...or resources they don't have to offer...we just expect to be treated with respect.

Respect that, considering we've rolled in deeper than ANY other car club...FOUR years in a row...has been EARNED.

Parking our nice cars in the same pavilion (even with the half-azzed attempt to segregate with the tarps) as junk cars being spray-painted...that's simply a slap in the face...no way to argue it any other way.

I enthusiastically cast my vote in doing "something else" next year for the big "NELOC Event of the Year".

I can't speak for other car shows (haven't attended them) but, we've got a big bat to swing with our "Best Club Participation" award four years running. We should use that...let the promoters know that, if we put our weight behind an event, we WILL make a helluva showing!
Old 05-10-10, 03:17 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Ryan,

Pat contacted me...can I send him this thread so he knows what happened....

If not, send me an account on what happened so I can send it to him...not that it will make a difference in the future.

Originally Posted by BernieIS
I am creating this thread to make a spot for all to respond to the negativity that we all experienced this weekend and to not take away from the good times and pictures that we have in the aftermath thread.

In dealing with the staff at Carlisle for the past five or six months to organize our portion of the show the following is what we were supposed to get and what actually happened.

First we did have a total of 14 to 20 spots in the indoor portion of the show where Smitty was parked. In addition we were supposed to have the majority of the pavilion space minus the area where the graffiti art cars were. Second, we were supposed to be able to all do the roll in including the indoor cars. With the indoor portion of the show we were supposed to have rolled in by 9AM as the original information thread states. The indoor cars originally had to stay only for the duration of Saturday and Sunday was not something that we had to participate in because we always have people that go and come in the same day. As for the cars that were under the pavilion the section we did not have was supposed to be modified BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguars, and others of the type; not VIP but nice luxury cars that were tastefully done. Since we did have a few cars that were signed up to be judged and were set to be parked indoors I called about two weeks ago to find out how they were going to be doing the judging for these cars. In speaking with the staff I was informed that we no longer had any indoor spots. The reasoning behind this was that we had the roll in scheduled for 9AM and we could not stay for both days. Upon arriving at the show on Friday we saw the graffitti dispaly for the first time. After talking to several people I found out what happened. Our spots were given to another group originally because they paid for the spots, something that we will not do. This group eventually pulled out as well. Since he had already renigged on us and the other group bailed out they called local dealers to bring out stock cars like the Mercedes etc. We then found out exactly what the graffiti display was all about.

Needless to say I am furious about how this weekend turned out. I whole-heartedly apologize for the way we were treated. We have been to many events as a group small or large and we have never been treated this way.

In addition to the problems with how we were treated there are way more problems with the Carlisle show. Here is a list of a few of them

1. The show is too long - Friday should be set up and the complete show should be on Saturday including awards.

2. The venue is too large for amount of cars that actually showed up. They need to condense the size of the show.

3. I know that they are not going to be able to do only a VIP show but they do need to eliminate all the primered civics, cavaliers, and things of the kind.

4. They used to have the cars parked into classes instead of all ***** nilly like. Having the cars parked in classes and together will make the show more organized and you will be able to look at similar cars and compare them to each other.

5. The judges also have no idea what they are looking at. They only car about quantity of mods rather than quality of the work and parts. For example, the guy that judged my car actually asked me about modding his own IS he has. That is something that really upset me.

6. In addition to all the stuff listed above there were too many things there that were gimicks that should not be at a car show - graffiti display.

7. You can bring your car to the show and not be part of the actual show - this brings cars that we don't want to see.

As far as switching to a different show for next year, that decision was already made, I determined that pretty much when I found out about the graffiti display.

I was thinking of two shows to replace this one.

1. OC Car Show - Ocean City Maryland
The promoter already wants to work with us. This is a nice place to hangout. There are indoor and outdoor sections. If you want to leave the show you can leave your car and use public transportation to go to restaurants and hotels.

2. Sumospeed Show - This will obviously be determined after this weeks show and how willing they are to try to accomidate us and our cars.

I again apologize for the way this turned out.
Old 05-10-10, 04:01 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't how this is organized but as we rolled up to the pavilion in my head I said "WTF" are all those junk cars doing in OUR pavilion. At the time the only reason why we only had part of the pavilion is because we probably didn't not have enough vehicles to fill it up. Of course that wasn't the case since some cars were parked outside the pavilion.

All though I got a toothache Saturday night I still had a good time. It's always good to catch up and joke around with old & new NELOC'ers. This year I actually walked around more throughout the fairgrounds unlike this year. Honestly the majority of the vehicles did not interest me at all. I was more concerned about allergies causing my eyes to itch but it was more so the winds blowing particles into my eyes. Speaking about the weather... man did it get chilly and the strong winds didn't help at all.

Despite all that I think I made the best of it. Chilling at Hooters was cool despite my toothache and our meals taking an eternity to arrive. The guys at the Meguiar's booth were great as the gave me a brand new bottle of Ultimate quick wax when I brought my half empty bottle over to them since the trigger refused to spray. So I walked away with both the new bottle and the half empty bottle with the broken trigger.

I do agree with most here for perhaps doing or going to another venue as our big meet. I'll try to get some pics up soon but I'm still a bit tired recovering from this toothache and lost sleep.
Old 05-10-10, 06:42 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Carlisle really dropped the ball on this one...

I have been coming to the Carlisle show five years in a row, three years with NELOC to participate with my IS300, two years as a spectator with my eclipse turbo. Each year it just keeps getting worse. I was lukewarm about coming this year, but everyone was for it, so I joined in. I just feel I have outgrown it, for example I had no interest in the burnout contest this year, were in the past I was excited to see it.

As for the cars, besides NELOC Lexus cars, or other cars of NELOC member's( Smitty's VIP M45), and sponsor cars, there was really nothing. I only saw a few nice Supra's, and a few S2000's. There was no NSX, or even a FD RX-7, and no other VIP cars, so much for Carlisle being the ultimate import car show. The University of Maryland show I was at a week earlier and only cost one dollar to enter had a much higher quality of cars.

So Yes, let's look at other options, but big props to Ryan and others for making the best out of a bad situation..
Old 05-10-10, 08:54 PM
PandaIS250
Lexus Test Driver

another vote for OC next year..and no carlisle!!!
Old 05-11-10, 07:35 PM
joooowan
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry but this joke of a car show is not worth driving and getting a hotel for.

I have no desire to even walk around to take a picture of any other cars.

Last edited by trukn1; 05-12-10 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-12-10, 10:58 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joooowan
I'm sorry but this joke of a car show is not worth driving and getting a hotel for.

I have no desire to even walk around to take a picture of any other cars.
I have to agree with you to some level. The Perfomance and Style show HAS been going downhill, every year, for the few years that we have been attending. For the most part NELOC used this location as a way to hold a regional meet so that peeps could get acquainted with each other and finally put name/face to screen name. It was fairly central to almost everyone in the vast range of area in which we have members in that it was about a 2-3 hour drive (more for some others) for almost everyone. Most large meets, especially when you are talking of placing 40-50 cars together require you to get permits/ insurance, etc. and there is ALOT of paperwork involved. We pretty much got around the paperwork nightmare, by attending an already established event. When we first started going to these in 07, the crowds were bigger, there was more to see/do, the cars were( and I used this phrase mildly,,,better), and there was a good time to be had by all. Even with the remote location of the pavillion that you guys were in, there was STILL enough activity close/around us that it really didnt matter that we were so far out in the field. Check the "NELOC HERITAGE" thread for pics of some of the past events and they speak for themselves. With the current state of things, and the fact the most don't really have the disposible income to mod cars anymore, as every cent counts now, the crowds/vendors are diminishing. Changes in leadership at the promotional level also have an effect. As some others have stated,, we pretty much have simply outgrown the venue, and will have to search for another to participate in.
Old 05-12-10, 11:03 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Well I have a good working relationship with Bryan who runs the OC Car Show since MrMark and I have done shows there for the past 3 years. This year is too short notice to get anything together for a large group, but next year we can work something out for that venue. Plus there's a lot more going on outside of the show and people in our crew can get a vacation out of it since the show is across the street from the beach. Just say the word and I'll get working on it.
Old 05-12-10, 11:08 AM
PandaIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Patrick from Carlisle sent me a PM to my FB after I left a comment to their wall.

"Hi Jae,

It stinks to hear that you had such a bad time this year. It sounds like most of your concerns had to do with the graffiti display being setup in the pavillion with you. I made every effort to let the officiers of NELOC that I was in touch with know this would be the case many months before the show and did not get any complaints or concerns. Also, we put up the tarp and kept the painting on the east side of the pavillion, just to be sure no overspray would make it's way to your cars. Good news for next year is that the graffiti display did not get an overwheelming response, so probably won't be back next year. Also, I am hoping to work with NELOC to give you guys your own building.

Hope some of those ideas/addressing your concerns help.
Patrick "

so who's still down for OC???
Old 05-12-10, 12:26 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 02GGP_IS
Patrick from Carlisle sent me a PM to my FB after I left a comment to their wall.

"Hi Jae,

It stinks to hear that you had such a bad time this year. It sounds like most of your concerns had to do with the graffiti display being setup in the pavillion with you. I made every effort to let the officiers of NELOC that I was in touch with know this would be the case many months before the show and did not get any complaints or concerns. Also, we put up the tarp and kept the painting on the east side of the pavillion, just to be sure no overspray would make it's way to your cars. Good news for next year is that the graffiti display did not get an overwheelming response, so probably won't be back next year. Also, I am hoping to work with NELOC to give you guys your own building.

Hope some of those ideas/addressing your concerns help.
Patrick "

so who's still down for OC???
Pat is so full of s***. I followed this process with Ryan step by step from day 1 and I see he failed to mention all the thing we were promised only to have taken away. Rich ran things so much smoother.

Yeah like I said I'm all about OC for next year. Just let me know and I'll work on setting it up with Ryan.
Old 05-12-10, 12:48 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

I would love to know who Pat talked to regarding the graffiti display because it was not me. When I heard what Smitty was saying about junker cars in the pavilion before I arrived I had no idea what he was saying.

I have already been in contact with Brian with the OC show and with Leroy and MrMarks help we will make this venue the place for our future meets. They are more than willing to help us with what little we ask for and we will help them put on a great show.

As far as Pat messaging Jae, I have no problem with that but my question comes in when I was the one he was dealing with for about the last 6 months. Why would he send him a message unless he did not want to admit he did not mention once the graffiti display and the other promises that were renigged upon.
Old 05-12-10, 01:35 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

WOW... I am so glad I didn't waste my time. I cant believe they were spraying cars on the other side of a tarp??? I think I am done with Shows for this year. The last two shows I went to, I was clearly beaten my inferiorly modded cars in my class. Winners were picked based on their relationship with the judges. So for that.... those judges and "winners" can hug deez nutz

I much rather just chill with my fellow tuners weekly.
Old 05-12-10, 01:42 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

I already told Patrick we would most likely not return next year.

That will just make more room for the hoards of Cavaliers.....

It’s ironic, because this show is coming full circle. Back in the day, it was a lot of rice….and a lot of crappy rice. Then, Rich tried to elevate the show and attract more of the high end cars. But the economy and the amount of crap that’s actually out there made the show revert back to its roots. So more than ever, it’s time to move on. I will talk to Bryan at OC in June and see what can be done for us in August, or next year.

Originally Posted by BernieIS
I would love to know who Pat talked to regarding the graffiti display because it was not me. When I heard what Smitty was saying about junker cars in the pavilion before I arrived I had no idea what he was saying.

I have already been in contact with Brian with the OC show and with Leroy and MrMarks help we will make this venue the place for our future meets. They are more than willing to help us with what little we ask for and we will help them put on a great show.

As far as Pat messaging Jae, I have no problem with that but my question comes in when I was the one he was dealing with for about the last 6 months. Why would he send him a message unless he did not want to admit he did not mention once the graffiti display and the other promises that were renigged upon.
Old 05-12-10, 02:15 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex84
Well I have a good working relationship with Bryan who runs the OC Car Show since MrMark and I have done shows there for the past 3 years. This year is too short notice to get anything together for a large group, but next year we can work something out for that venue. Plus there's a lot more going on outside of the show and people in our crew can get a vacation out of it since the show is across the street from the beach. Just say the word and I'll get working on it.
Ding Ding........I'm all for that. Car show and mini vacay at the same time
Old 05-12-10, 10:19 PM
bhbiv
Driver

is it possible to do a just NELOC meet somewhere, possibly having/getting everyone together at a location??? or is it just too much of a scheduling conflict these days???
and my meaning of a meet is actually renting out space/parking anything of that sort? so its just us in a whole designated area, possibly w/ a restaurant next door or close(ish)...

back to the tread... OC would be awesome, i havent been out there since i was little!!!

Quick Reply: Carlisle Monstrosity