Vehicle inspections end today in New Jersey

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 07:40 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Vehicle inspections end today in New Jersey

I think some may be happy about this (wont have to worry about front window tint at inspection). On the other hand, may lead to less safe vehicles on the road.

TRENTON — Today is the last day the state will inspect motor vehicles for mechanical problems. New Jersey will become the 30th state that doesn't look for bald tires, silent horns or nonworking lights and turn signals.

Inspection stations will just check emissions on vehicles five years or older starting Monday.

School buses, limousines, jitneys, taxis and other commercial-plated vehicles will still be checked for emissions and mechanical defects.

The changes will save the state about $17 million, Motor Vehicle Commission administrator Raymond Martinez said. Most of the savings come from scrapping 2.4 million inspections and re-inspections performed each year and by shifting new car emissions testing from four years to five years.

The state pays a private company to do the inspections and is charged per inspection.

In addition to the more than two million inspections and re-inspections the MVC conducts each year, an additional 578,000 are done for a fee by more than 1,100 licensed, private facilities.

The MVC said data from other states, educational institutions and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration were inconclusive whether nonemission inspections made roads safer.
http://www.app.com/article/20100731/...-in-New-Jersey
Old 08-01-10, 07:57 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

YESSSS!!!!!

Now I can save some money because I won't need to find a fix for my "broken TPMS sensors that won't go on my aftermarket wheels so I keep getting a check system light" problem
Old 08-01-10, 09:35 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Now the roads are going to be more dangerous. Yippee

Next step should be getting rid of Parsons, the company that handles the private inspections for the state. Those morons put my AWD RX300 on the dyno even after I told the guy I had full time four wheel drive. I screamed at him to stop. His reaction was 'you mean it isn't part time all wheel drive?' Duh. My RX was flat bedded to the dealer. After a few days they determined there was no damage. The dealer didn't charge me even though I begged them to. I wanted Parsons to pay, big time. The only expense I had was $15 for gas. When I sought reimbursement from Parsons' insurance company, they balked at first but made an 'exception.'

A few days after the incident, I went back to the inspection station in a loaner provided by the dealer to get the report. Everything looked ok until I saw my vehicle listed as an SC300. Huh? It turns out the bar code on my registration was incorrect. This happened with my 330 too. DMV didn't do anything to fix it when I brought it to their attention but assured me I wouldn't have a problem if I was pulled over.

That was the end of going to the free state inspection centers. Instead I have paid $70 to my favorite tire guy to perform the inspection over the years. I'll still go to him if he does the emissions only test because I know he'll take care of my car. That'll be 2015 for me.
Old 08-03-10, 09:32 PM
Monkeyyy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seriously? they wont fail for front window tints???
Old 08-04-10, 08:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

wonder if the registrations will go up.
Old 08-04-10, 08:54 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

YESSSSSSSS lol FINALLLYYYY
Old 08-04-10, 11:50 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State still smells like ***.
Old 06-23-11, 05:12 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

bringing this back from the dead but anyword on the tints?? im dying to tint one of my beaters but still dont know the true verdict on the tints.

anyone got a ticket? been to the inspection stations during the this time frame?

i have 1 of my vehicles registered under n.j.

Last edited by Mike813; 06-23-11 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-23-11, 05:42 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this is not a good look..
Old 06-23-11, 08:47 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike813
bringing this back from the dead but anyword on the tints?? im dying to tint one of my beaters but still dont know the true verdict on the tints.

anyone got a ticket? been to the inspection stations during the this time frame?

Tints are still illegal on the front window, front drivers and passenger windows here in NJ
Old 06-23-11, 09:30 AM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike813

I think it's a trap......
they will pass tints (they won't not pass your inspection) and then cops can still ticket you

bravo, NJ
Old 06-24-11, 05:27 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Tints are still illegal on the front window, front drivers and passenger windows here in NJ
Originally Posted by IS250TW
I think it's a trap......
they will pass tints (they won't not pass your inspection) and then cops can still ticket you

bravo, NJ
Thanks fellas

was just checking back since my inspections on april '12 and when reviewing some of the old threads noone really posted anything back if they failed inspection, got a ticket. what sucks is on the articles and web sites everything seems like you would pass with no problems as long as your smog is ok.
Old 06-24-11, 12:53 PM
Maxximus
Driver

from what a cop friend has told me: you will pass the inspection but can still be given a ticket from a cop
Old 06-24-11, 07:37 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

^ This. Friend of mine has 5% all around and passed earlier this year. I'm going sometime in August so I'll share my personal experience.
Old 06-25-11, 06:38 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Maxximus
from what a cop friend has told me: you will pass the inspection but can still be given a ticket from a cop
Originally Posted by GFerg
^ This. Friend of mine has 5% all around and passed earlier this year. I'm going sometime in August so I'll share my personal experience.
i hope it turns out ok, im not a big fan of dark tints so hopefully the officers would avoid me or my wife. im one of the few who really uses the tint to block out summer heat so ill prob be going with a 30/40% llumar/suntek film which is practically nothing compared to some vehicles.

Please update when you get yours in August itll be a big help. Thanks.