NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Recommendations for food places near Silver Spring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 02:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Default Recommendations for food places near Silver Spring?

Going up to MD to visit my brother-in-law soon (he's at Walter Reed) and we'll want to take him out to eat several times while we're there. Its been 14 years since I lived in the area, so my restaurant knowledge is very outdated.

I don't know yet what food he wants to eat or how mobile he's going to be but trying to pick places that are on the Washingtonian best of or best cheap eats and are listed as wheelchair accessible. He will likely be in a wheelchair or on crutches (lost one of his legs via an IED) so I want to pick places that aren't a PITA to get to.

Always had pretty good luck with the Washingtonian list/reviews in the past, that still the case? Anybody gone to these? Have other recommendations?

General Store
Jackie's Restaurant
Ray's the Classics

For some reason I thought there used to be a Clyde's up near there?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-19-10, 05:58 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, there is a Clydes. can't go wrong there. if you do not mind going into DC, there are a ton of great restaurants downtown. shoot me a PM if you are ok to travel a bit, and i will give you a few option. hope your brother in law is doing well.
Old 08-20-10, 10:03 AM
BRADSGS4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ YES. You can be in DC in 2 sec. Matchbox in Chinatown. Lauriol Plaza is insane. Ben's Chili bowl for something quick and easy. Chadwicks in Georgetown. Carlyle Grand in Alexandria is also good to drive 15 more min south.

All my Fav's!

Last edited by BRADSGS4; 08-20-10 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-24-10, 06:16 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want some good *** thai or vietnamese the eden center in alexandria is worth the drive. there are some good steak houses and sushi places near that area in md as well.

i have heard of way too many people lately in your brothers position. i hope they give him the best treatment possible. i originally was EOD (explosives ordinance disposal) upon entering the air force but thankfully got to switch to computer networking after finding out i am color blind ; i got a couple friends in afghanistan right now...

also there is a very good tapas (real spanish not mexican infused) rest in bethesda (forget the name but if you were really interested i could find out). rockville has some good asian which is usually the only reason my wife and i travel over there in the first place but i know they have everything else as well.
Old 08-24-10, 07:50 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Thanks guys, here now but heading home later this AM.

Ended up taking him to the aquarium and Inner Harbor on Sunday and just eating at M&S up there (almost always a safe bet). On Monday we went to a Lebanese spot for lunch and a little place called Jackie's for dinner which was really good and I'd recommend. Very small menu and in kinda an industrial area but they buy their ingredients local. Also had Hoegaarden and Newcastle on tap.

This morning we went to Eggspectations after taking him over to the hospital for morning trip. Pricey but good breakfast stuff.

Thanks all for your ideas!
Old 08-24-10, 08:34 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Thanks guys, here now but heading home later this AM.

Ended up taking him to the aquarium and Inner Harbor on Sunday and just eating at M&S up there (almost always a safe bet). On Monday we went to a Lebanese spot for lunch and a little place called Jackie's for dinner which was really good and I'd recommend. Very small menu and in kinda an industrial area but they buy their ingredients local. Also had Hoegaarden and Newcastle on tap.

This morning we went to Eggspectations after taking him over to the hospital for morning trip. Pricey but good breakfast stuff.

Thanks all for your ideas!

Too bad you couldn't stick around for the Rockville meet..... all the best to your brother-in-law...his service is greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 08-24-10, 08:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Yes, would have liked that but need to put family first this trip. Maybe next time we're up!