NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Rotor and Pads Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 01:40 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rotor and Pads Install

Well, the day that I've been dreading for is finally here... time to replace the rotors and pads on my IS-F: dealer quote of $2400. Anyone on here know of any shops I can take it to? I prefer Long Island...

Thanks in advance

-Z
Old 10-11-10, 01:52 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

DIY! soooooooo easy. where on the island u at?
Old 10-11-10, 03:30 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
I guess with the right knowledge behind it-it can be done. Joe you got experience with that?

On 2nd note- how many miles on those rotors that your replacing? You might wanna look into re-surface first.
Old 10-11-10, 03:40 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
DIY! soooooooo easy. where on the island u at?
woodbury, ny

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
^
I guess with the right knowledge behind it-it can be done. Joe you got experience with that?

On 2nd note- how many miles on those rotors that your replacing? You might wanna look into re-surface first.
Sam, I go a little under 20k on her now. Did you replace or resurface yours yet? How many miles do you have on yours?
Old 10-11-10, 03:46 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

yea Sam, the LS and my current car had/has brake transplants from another car. rotors and pads is cake.

woodbury is not too far away. <20k could use just a resurfacing..but gotta check thickness to see if its in spec to be applicable.

ive done work for plenty of club members, ask Andrew as i installed his coils lol.

Last edited by LiCelsior; 10-11-10 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 06:37 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

wow 2400 for that? such a simple job. i just did my brakes on the 3GS.
Old 10-12-10, 07:37 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$2,400!!! Are they high? and I mean high as in smoking dope since we already know
the price is outrageous. Changing brake rotors and pads on your car should be a piece
of cake. I'd like to see the invoice to determine how much of that price is labor. At
20k, you will probably need to resurface the rotors and just install new pads. Typically,
rotors last about 40k unless you autocross. Look around and see how much new pads
cost, then put your car on stands and bring the rotors to a good mechanical garage for
the resurface. You are seriously going to save a ton, and I mean a ton of money.
Old 10-12-10, 07:58 AM
nysupraman
Racer

yea Sam, the LS and my current car had/has brake transplants from another car. rotors and pads is cake.

woodbury is not too far away. <20k could use just a resurfacing..but gotta check thickness to see if its in spec to be applicable.

ive done work for plenty of club members, ask Andrew as i installed his coils lol.
Thanks for your offer to help, let me see if I can find someone to resurface them for me, and then get some pads.

Originally Posted by Tabaka
$2,400!!! Are they high? and I mean high as in smoking dope since we already know
the price is outrageous. Changing brake rotors and pads on your car should be a piece
of cake. I'd like to see the invoice to determine how much of that price is labor. At
20k, you will probably need to resurface the rotors and just install new pads. Typically,
rotors last about 40k unless you autocross. Look around and see how much new pads
cost, then put your car on stands and bring the rotors to a good mechanical garage for
the resurface. You are seriously going to save a ton, and I mean a ton of money.
I will probably take your advice and resurface them then buy my own set of pads and replace them. I just need a good shop to do it for...
Old 10-12-10, 08:43 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

NAPA resurfaces rotors pretty cheap. let me know if u want my help.
Old 10-12-10, 10:23 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nysupraman
Thanks for your offer to help, let me see if I can find someone to resurface them for me, and then get some pads.

I will probably take your advice and resurface them then buy my own set of pads and replace them. I just need a good shop to do it for...
If you're interested in coming out to Brooklyn my mechanic is great. He can resurface drilled and slotted rotors and do all necessary work for a fraction of what lexus is trying to bend you over for.
Old 10-12-10, 10:35 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely an easy DIY job Z. Joe (Licelsior) does good work if you need a hand.
Old 10-12-10, 10:37 AM
nysupraman
Racer

NAPA resurfaces rotors pretty cheap. let me know if u want my help.
Are the mechanics there good? I'm going to try to get a hold of some aftermarket pads first...then maybe shoot you a PM, thanks joe

Originally Posted by Spyder78
If you're interested in coming out to Brooklyn my mechanic is great. He can resurface drilled and slotted rotors and do all necessary work for a fraction of what lexus is trying to bend you over for.
BK is a bit far for me, but I'll tryin look local first and if all else fails, I can ask you for your man, thanks
Old 10-12-10, 04:55 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

they really just sell parts, but ive heard they do pretty good at resurfacing.

try getting some Hawk HPS pads, freakin AMAZING! i got them for my brembos and wooo they stop good. no problem Z, let me know. you could also go to Tach Motor Works, he has a shop in oceanside.
Old 10-16-10, 11:37 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So whad you decide?

I haven't replaced my rotors yet-I'm just going to have them resurfaced. For pads I am using Hawk ceramic fronts(they currently don't have a rear applicationWhich is a same because oem dust on the rears is pretty bad too. When it's time to resurface I will change front and rears to same brand.

Let me know what happens!
Old 10-18-10, 01:32 PM
nysupraman
Racer

they really just sell parts, but ive heard they do pretty good at resurfacing.

try getting some Hawk HPS pads, freakin AMAZING! i got them for my brembos and wooo they stop good. no problem Z, let me know. you could also go to Tach Motor Works, he has a shop in oceanside.
I ordered a pair of rotors and Hawk Ceramics

I called them up, and they seem like they are very professional and know what they're doing. Depending on time restraints because of work, I will see if I can find another shop that does work on weekends, worse case scenario I will take it to Tach on a weekday.

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
So whad you decide?

I haven't replaced my rotors yet-I'm just going to have them resurfaced. For pads I am using Hawk ceramic fronts(they currently don't have a rear applicationWhich is a same because oem dust on the rears is pretty bad too. When it's time to resurface I will change front and rears to same brand.

Let me know what happens!
From what I hear, it isn't a good idea to resurface the stock Brembo's. I don't know how much of that is true, but I bought my own set of front rotors and pads. I also went with the Hawk Ceramic's. Rotors are here, waiting on delivery for the pads, then I'll see where I can get em put in.

Quick Reply: Rotor and Pads Install