NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

is a cracked spoke on a trafficstar rtm repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 03:36 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is a cracked spoke on a trafficstar rtm repairable?

I just went to clean my wheels after a wash and noticed on my rear right that 4of the spokes are cracked all the way through. Is this repairable? A new wheel is $850 and is an expensive option but if its not like 99% fixable I don't even want to try. Anyone got any knowledge? Thanks, btw didn't hit anything cept for normal driving.
Old 11-05-10, 03:59 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
I just went to clean my wheels after a wash and noticed on my rear right that 4of the spokes are cracked all the way through. Is this repairable? A new wheel is $850 and is an expensive option but if its not like 99% fixable I don't even want to try. Anyone got any knowledge? Thanks, btw didn't hit anything cept for normal driving.
Where and when did you buy them?
Old 11-05-10, 04:32 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

damn thats a first ive heard that on a trafficstar wheel.
Old 11-05-10, 04:46 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

they are used and i just bought them from a guy in cali last month. there was no visible signs of damage when i received them in the mail unless they were somehow carefully painted over and now the paint has just cracked off.

what are the spokes made out of? can this type of material be welded back together and then painted over to look factory again at the same strength of factory??
Old 11-05-10, 05:07 PM
cheesepuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a pic?
Old 11-05-10, 09:38 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know if it is repairable, but honestly 4 out of 5 spokes cracked in less than a month is kinda odd. I honestly think that you may have received them damaged, and in your excitement of getting the new wheels, not noticed them. 1 thing is for certain, I (personally) would take them off of my car until the matter can be resolved. Just would not trust riding around on cracked spokes knowing that possibly more damage could occur. Just my 2cents worth.
Old 11-06-10, 05:47 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

^ ^ ^ yeah i thought about this possibility and asked the guy i bought them from who replied back that he didn't know anything about some damaged spokes.

i babied the car back a couple miles to my place and today i am going to switch out to the stockers for the winter.

i know that unless they were very very meticulously painted over (the cracks included) that the cracks were not there when i got them or even a week ago for that matter. i cleaned them up really good last saturday and there were no cracks, now 4 of the 20 spokes have complete fractures (very clean) but all the way through and 1 has small cracks in it. i would have noticed this when i received them and especially last weekend when i was cleaning them because i noticed them so quickly yesterday. you can even feel them when running your fingers over the spokes so truthfully stevie wonder would have noticed the cracks..

someone mentioned sending the wheel somewhere to a factory to have just the face replaced. i guess i will have a wheel shop look at the wheel first. just wondering if anybody knew if this was a fixable item or a replaceable item?? thanks and i'll try to get a pic up later.

^ ^ ^ but picture real clean straight through splits in 4 of the spokes in the middle of the spoke, real clean almost like a laser beam got em. the damaged spokes are 2 side by side on 1 end of the wheel and 2 side by side on almost the opposite side of the wheel. and the 1 that has small cracks is on the other 1/4 of the wheel.
Old 11-08-10, 03:35 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I showed the pics to a few alloy wheel repair guys I'm friends with they all agreeded it didn t look like it was repairable. Also suggested that a break like that usally happens when the wheel is impacted from the side not from a traditional bump in the road of course you had no damage to the barrel. Order a new face
Old 11-08-10, 07:02 AM
ebb100z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deng! Good thing that the TrafficStars are multiple piece wheels.

Over the weekend on my way up from VA. Beach back home, I bent my two front wheels as well in some serious unavoidable potholes on I64.
Old 11-10-10, 04:57 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

stopped by ye old wheels this afternoon, after careful inspection they asked if they could flake off another piece of paint, i said sure, they showed me where there was even more damage underneath of another spoke...

there is indisputable evidence that the wheels were damaged and then painted over very carefully to hide the damage and then sold to me... in discussions with the seller now on getting a refund but so far its not looking like he wants to refund the money.

Last edited by sojah; 11-10-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-11-10, 03:13 AM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's bull**** bro, if you bought them from someone on here tell a moderator so they can be banned!!!!!
Old 11-11-10, 05:27 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

but banning the person will not get me a new wheel or any money back though

i'm trying to be nice to them and get them to work with me on replacing or refunding.
Old 11-11-10, 06:41 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

order a new face and be done with it.
Old 11-11-10, 06:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i am having difficulty in this department ^ ^ ^. i called 3 different wheel shops who said they can only get new wheels not faces and 2 said they would check and call me back and haven't yet. i emailed river-side the owner and maker of the still actively sold trafficstar RTM in english and didn't get a response. my wife emailed them in japanese today since they are a japanese company in japan and we shall see if they respond to her email.

does anyone know another source for getting a face for this rim?? thanks for the help.
Old 11-11-10, 06:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
order a new face and be done with it.
agreed but have the seller send you the money for the new face.

Quick Reply: is a cracked spoke on a trafficstar rtm repairable?