NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

2 IS Modding Weekend/Meet-Up in MD/DC/NoVa Area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 11:09 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sick
Bigra,lol you'll be alright as long as don't go into the city(I'm sure Calvin knows all about that). Did you order your polisher? They sent me the wrong coils, so i had to send it back.
Wait how did they send u the wrong ones??? Did u look at the book in side the box what did it say on the manual??

As for the polisher im still looking. Im thinking about going with the Porter Cable or the Griots. I dont know. I wanted the Meguiars but they are back ordered and i need to detail my car ASAP
Old 04-06-11, 11:27 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by calvin2376
...That means either changing the oil with regular non-synthetic oil every 5K miles, or changing the oil with synthetic every 10K miles. I likely will do the synthetic so I don't have to change as often, but in any case I will be adhering to the Lexus recommended maintenance schedule so that I don't have to get into any discussions on whether I've conformed to the warranty requirements, etc.
10k on synthetic is close enough to maximum life. How are you planning to document? just pictres on the day of w/ the timestamp?
Old 04-06-11, 11:40 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Big, mine said 98-05 gs300 on the outside of the box and the booklet, Thats why i asked you what yours said. Sucks now, i have to wait for a week to get there and another week to ship back. They should next day air it for me atleast.
Old 04-06-11, 11:56 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sick
Big, mine said 98-05 gs300 on the outside of the box and the booklet, Thats why i asked you what yours said. Sucks now, i have to wait for a week to get there and another week to ship back. They should next day air it for me atleast.
Damn, dude u shouldve demanded next day air service. Its unacceptable to send the wrong item. They should compensate with quick service now
Old 04-07-11, 06:35 PM
skinfan2k
Rookie

So today i go to performance tinting in columbia they are charging 159 and 60 for carbon tint at 35% on my is250, good price? so the total is 219-15 (coupon)
Old 04-07-11, 08:17 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Pretty good pricing. I paid close to $300+ for tinting my car at LA Tint
Old 04-08-11, 05:59 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my E55 in VA and it had tint on it, when I brought it to MD to get it inspected it was too dark for MD's laws so I had to get it removed. Got it removed at The Dark Side, a tint shop nearby me in Cockeysville, MD. I think their prices were very reasonable, and they did a good job at least on the removal. I'd trust them on an install. Just a thought.

For you guys that are in MD and are getting your cars tinted; how dark are you going? MD requires that total amount of light transmitted through the glass can't be less than 35%, meaning if you get 35% tint you'll be violating MD law because stock windows already come slightly tinted from the factory, so the combination of this with the 35% tint puts you darker than the limit. This is what happened on my E55 - the previous owner got 35% all around so I thought it was fine; if you get a car inspected in MD that has any kind of aftermarket tint, it can't pass inspection until it's actually tested at the police station, so I went down there and they tested it and found it was like 32%, so I had to get it all removed. Huge pain in the ***.

Anyway, this whole discussion about MD's laws could be moot to you because you're planning on going darker than legal anyway, but I'm just curious. My first two cars had 20% all around (lived in MO), and that's what I prefer and would like to do to my IS, but I don't need the tickets.

Here was my post on another person's thread asking about tint and his state's legal limit:

----------------------
Be careful about "legal limit". I live in MD, and the the legal limit here is 35% as well, however that's 35% TOTAL, not 35% on aftermarket tint only. Here's an explanation:

1) TINTED WINDOWS -The 35% Window Tint Law in Maryland means that the TOTAL amount of light being transmitted
through the glass of a motor vehicle cannot be less than 35%. In other words, it doesn't make any difference what percentage
the actual window tinting film is rated at, you still cannot exceed 35% total Light Transmittance Value, or LTV for short.

The problem here is that many people purchase a window tint film that is rated at 35% and think it's automatically okay to put it
on their car windows. A 35% window film will guarantee you that your vehicle will be illegal, and here's why:

ALL vehicles come from the factory with a certain percentage of tinting incorporated into the glass. In most cases it blocks out
approximately 20% of the available light, which means that 80% is still passing through.
That is an LTV of 80%, and there's no problem there.

An after market window tint film rated at 35% means that the film allows 35% of the available light to
pass through, and blocks out 65%. (This is known as 35% LTV Film) And again, there's no problem with that.

Here's where the trouble begins. When you place a 35% window tint film over a vehicle window that is already blocking out
20% of the available light, you have now reduced the LTV to 28%, which is ILLEGAL! Why is it now 28%? Because you
started with a piece of glass that was already blocking out 20% of the available light, and you are now placing a
35% tinting material on a piece of glass that only had 80% availabe light to start with. (.35 x 80 = 28%)
That means you are now blocking out 72% of the available light, leaving only 28% to pass through.

You now have tinted windows with a 28% Light Transmittance Value,
and remember that the State of Maryland requires an LTV of at least 35%.
(Windows that are tinted darker than 35% are very obvious to police officers.)

We want you understand the law completely because there are many Window Tint Shops out there who are telling their
customers that a 35% window tint film placed on their vehicle glass is legal, which it isn't . (And you just saw why.)
Additionally, many shops will just tint your windows without even telling you what is, and what is not legal in Maryland.

Just wanted to make sure you fully understand what 35% means in your state, because I didn't know when I got to MD. I thought "35%" meant I could throw on 35% tint, however if you try and get your car inspected and it has any tint on it whatsoever, you have to take it to a police station where they test it, and if it's anything below 35% you have to get it all taken off.

Last edited by calvin2376; 04-08-11 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 06:38 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Calvin always has the best explanation, very clear with good examples. I think i'm going to use Calvin as my search button.lol
Old 04-08-11, 07:40 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Haha no I just like helping others out in the ways that I can.

Again the discussion about MD's laws is moot if you don't care. I really want to tint my car, but I don't consider anything lighter than 20% worth doing (that's just my preference of course), and I know MD is fairly strict on enforcing vehicle equipment laws. For example, I got a citation on my E55 for no front license plate, when I've had no problem with that in other states that require a front plate.

Frankly I don't consider a car complete until it's got good-looking tint on it, which makes having mine not tinted that much worse. As much as I want to, I just don't want to draw added attention to myself and potentially get citations. In addition, if you do get cited, you'll get a work order that requires you to get it taken off.

That said, I can't tell you how many cars I see in MD in clear violation of MD's vehicle equipment laws. The two most common violations I see are 1) aftermarket tint and 2) illegal colored lights. Every day I see countless MD-plated cars with illegal tint, often 5% limo tint. I just can't understand how they don't get pulled over all the time, especially down in Baltimore City. The other thing is illegally colored lights. MD states that lights coming from the front of the car can be only white and amber, and from the rear can only be red or amber (back-up lights excluded). I know people have been pulled over running 6000Ks for being too blue, but I see countless others with even higher temperatures that are purple, etc. The other thing are those stupid wiper fluid sprayer lights on the hood, usually just on really riced-out cars, but people seem like they're just begging to get pulled over.

Haha sick also just noted the understatement in your sig - "slightly modded".
Old 04-08-11, 11:39 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

calvin are u having any clunking with the sways??
Old 04-08-11, 11:48 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Not that I've heard, and I checked a few days after and everything was solid - the bushing brackets weren't loose and it was still attached fine to the endlinks.

Why, are you having clunking? Did you peek underneath and see that everything was still attached correctly?
Old 04-08-11, 01:04 PM
skinfan2k
Rookie

hey guys i heard that for the 09 is250s that the defroster gets messed up on the back window if you apply tint is that true?
Old 04-08-11, 01:07 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

i have no clue. Its either my coils or its the sway bar. Ill take a look under see what up
Old 04-08-11, 01:08 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Calvin try driving 15-20mph with ur windows down and see if u hear anything
Old 04-08-11, 01:20 PM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skinfan2k
hey guys i heard that for the 09 is250s that the defroster gets messed up on the back window if you apply tint is that true?
that's not true i got 35% tint on my back window and have not had any problems with the defroster

Quick Reply: 2 IS Modding Weekend/Meet-Up in MD/DC/NoVa Area?