NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

2 IS Modding Weekend/Meet-Up in MD/DC/NoVa Area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 07:25 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahryar
I'm down to meet this weekend and have driveway and garage. still have to do all the things I've discussed earlier in the thread including brake fluid and oil change. Would prefer saturday because sunday I'm biking in DC. If we were to meet Sunday, I'd have to either meet-up early or later depending on what time my group is meeting up.

I'd also be up for a detail. I can share everything I have tonight and maybe between a few of us if we share some resources we could all detail our cars
Hey Shahryar,

Saturday actually works better for me as well. Would you be down to meet Saturday morning/early afternoon? Where are you located? I'm in Baltimore City.

I'd love to be there for a brake fluid and oil change and can definitely help out if needed.
Old 04-28-11, 07:39 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by sick
Hey Calvin, I'm still interested in meeting up, however with this meet this weekend is what's holding me up. Honestly, i think we could tackle your mods there. Its a huge parking lot, nobody's going to care and plus there will tons Lexus head heads there that could even probably help us.

Check out this thread about the meet.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nel...-umd-show.html
Thanks for the info. I think I'll pass on the meet - I'm not sure about doing work like removing bumpers and stuff while in a crowded parking lot with a bunch of car and foot traffic. Plus 6,000 cars and even more occupants/spectators sounds like a bit much.
Old 04-28-11, 07:49 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I'm not going to do the meet either just because my sunday I have the biking plan. If I didn't have it I would attend but only if I had my car detailed.

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Hey Shahryar,

Saturday actually works better for me as well. Would you be down to meet Saturday morning/early afternoon? Where are you located? I'm in Baltimore City.

I'd love to be there for a brake fluid and oil change and can definitely help out if needed.
I'm in Laurel - from Baltimore City you'd ride down 295 I'd say about 15 or 20 minutes, It's real close. Let me see if my friend who's familiar iwth the brake fluid change can join.

UPDATE: Unfortunately my friend can't join. It'd be nice if someone else was there who was familiar but I guess we're going to have to use from the online info

Last edited by Shahryar; 04-28-11 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-28-11, 12:38 PM
calvin2376
Racer

^ I'm not going to do the meet either just because my sunday I have the biking plan. If I didn't have it I would attend but only if I had my car detailed.

I'm in Laurel - from Baltimore City you'd ride down 295 I'd say about 15 or 20 minutes, It's real close. Let me see if my friend who's familiar iwth the brake fluid change can join.

UPDATE: Unfortunately my friend can't join. It'd be nice if someone else was there who was familiar but I guess we're going to have to use from the online info
Well I'm still down for meeting up Saturday. It'll be a learning process for both of us. Maybe some more people will be up for meeting Saturday as well.

If Saturday works for you, PM me your address, etc and I can be down there pretty much anytime Saturday, say 10 AM?
Old 04-29-11, 06:05 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Also, do you have any tools/are you near a Home Depot or anything?
Old 04-29-11, 06:54 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

calvin, I am pretty close to a Home Depot and there's an advance auto parts right next to me too. I do have some tools. It'd be good if you could bring whatever you're able as well. Something I don't have are good jackstands - any suggestions on what's good? I could go pick something up.

Tomorrow's good for me but could we do a little later than 10am? How about 12? I just PMed you my address
Old 04-29-11, 07:03 AM
calvin2376
Racer

calvin, I am pretty close to a Home Depot and there's an advance auto parts right next to me too. I do have some tools. It'd be good if you could bring whatever you're able as well. Something I don't have are good jackstands - any suggestions on what's good? I could go pick something up.

Tomorrow's good for me but could we do a little later than 10am? How about 12? I just PMed you my address
12 works for me. During lunch I was going to scroll through CL to try and determine exactly what's needed for the jobs I'm looking to do, and I'll try and swing by a Home Depot and pick the stuff up after work today. I think the only things I really need are a socket wrench set and some 3M tape.

Unfortunately I don't have jackstands either. I had my eye on some on Amazon.com, but I wasn't going to purchase them until I needed them for an oil change, which isn't going to be for a while since my upcoming first oil change is free at the dealer.
Old 04-29-11, 07:17 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ For the oil change you should be fine with Rhino Ramps. for the brake fluid change I believe you should need jackstands. I recently purchased the Stanley 92-824 Black Chrome and Laser Etched Socket Set, 69-Piece

Also recently purchased this Sunex International 9702A 3/8-inch Torque Wrench with Case for the sway bar install I didn't get to do (as a result this is still unopened in its amazon box)
Old 04-29-11, 07:30 AM
calvin2376
Racer

^ For the oil change you should be fine with Rhino Ramps. for the brake fluid change I believe you should need jackstands. I recently purchased the Stanley 92-824 Black Chrome and Laser Etched Socket Set, 69-Piece

Also recently purchased this Sunex International 9702A 3/8-inch Torque Wrench with Case for the sway bar install I didn't get to do (as a result this is still unopened in its amazon box)
Wow, those are some nice tools. I definitely wasn't eyeing a socket set that nice haha.

I don't think I need many tools for what I'm doing:

- Upper grille insert replacement - I think just socket wrench/screwdriver
- HID fogs - zipties and double stick tape (for the ballasts), socket wrench/screwdriver to get bumper off
- Parking lights and low-beam bulbs - socket wrench/screwdriver to remove things to get access
- Red-outs - nothing really
Old 04-29-11, 06:29 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Wow, those are some nice tools. I definitely wasn't eyeing a socket set that nice haha.

I don't think I need many tools for what I'm doing:

- Upper grille insert replacement - I think just socket wrench/screwdriver
- HID fogs - zipties and double stick tape (for the ballasts), socket wrench/screwdriver to get bumper off
- Parking lights and low-beam bulbs - socket wrench/screwdriver to remove things to get access
- Red-outs - nothing really
I'll plan on being there at 12. I'm going to stop at a hardware store or two beforehand. I actually have a coupon for Harbor Freight for 2 3-ton jack stands for 19.99 you can use if you're interested. Just let me know.
Old 04-29-11, 10:21 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow Calvin. Jackstand coupons sound good, do you want to meet up and hit the hardware store together? From my place we'd pass by the home depot on our way to Harbor fReight. Both are not far from me, in Laurel.

I'm wondering if it might be helpful to first take a look at everything we want to do, compare threads/posts we're planning on using and then hit the stores to avoid risking forgetting anything. Let me know what you think.

I have something I bought off ebay ( Motion Pro Hydraulic Brake Bleeder One Man 1 08-0143 ) that should be arriving tomorrow which I wanted to use for the brake fluid change. If it doesn't arrive in time, I should still be able to do it, I would just need another person to pump the brakes
Old 04-30-11, 07:05 AM
calvin2376
Racer

^ Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow Calvin. Jackstand coupons sound good, do you want to meet up and hit the hardware store together? From my place we'd pass by the home depot on our way to Harbor fReight. Both are not far from me, in Laurel.

I'm wondering if it might be helpful to first take a look at everything we want to do, compare threads/posts we're planning on using and then hit the stores to avoid risking forgetting anything. Let me know what you think.

I have something I bought off ebay ( Motion Pro Hydraulic Brake Bleeder One Man 1 08-0143 ) that should be arriving tomorrow which I wanted to use for the brake fluid change. If it doesn't arrive in time, I should still be able to do it, I would just need another person to pump the brakes
That works for me, do you want me to stop by your place first then before I head to the stores? I was planning on heading to these stores before coming to your place; in that case can I swing by a bit earlier than 12, maybe like 11:30?

I'm going to bring my computer, I've got all the threads/videos I need to reference all in an email for easy access.
Old 05-08-11, 10:01 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Last weekend Calvin and I got together to work on our IS 350s. He did a grill change, headlight change, and a couple other things. I did the brake fluid. Here's a write up I put together: http://shahryar.net/2011/05/08/chang...y-2008-is-350/

Looking forward to the next time we get together. I still have to do my oil change. Going to try and figure out what brake work I need to get done as well.
Old 05-09-11, 08:08 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Last weekend Calvin and I got together to work on our IS 350s. He did a grill change, headlight change, and a couple other things. I did the brake fluid. Here's a write up I put together: http://shahryar.net/2011/05/08/chang...y-2008-is-350/

Looking forward to the next time we get together. I still have to do my oil change. Going to try and figure out what brake work I need to get done as well.
Many, many thanks to Shahryar for letting me use his driveway to work, he was very accommodating and had no problem whatsoever with my using his driveway (even when my mods took a little longer than planned...)

I replaced the upper front grille insert, replaced the low beams and parking lights with 5000K (review here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lig...ount-code.html), and installed HID fogs. I'm planning to post a thread talking about the mods, some notes on the install, and pictures.
Old 05-19-11, 06:56 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Fender mod help!! Can someone with experience help mod my fenders? I'm trying go a little more aggressive. I have a general idea, but i'm not sure if trust myself.

I should have all the tool necessary, if not i'll go buy some.

Quick Reply: 2 IS Modding Weekend/Meet-Up in MD/DC/NoVa Area?