NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

VA Inspection in Fairfax County

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 06:31 PM
revtekgs
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VA Inspection in Fairfax County

I need my state re-inspection done...I failed last week bc my car doesn't have the stock front bumper lens. I couldn't believe they printed a pic of a stock GS and compared it to my car. I have an Aimgain kit so I no longer have the small lens by the front wheel. They circled a pic of the light and said it was necessary to pass. I said it was BS bc I've never had issues w it in the past but they wouldn't budge. Can anyone recommend a shop around fairfax that isn't this strict? I dont need an emissions test. Only mod is an aimgain exhaust...looks stock and is really quiet. Also, Im on air so I'll raise my car up before taking it in.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-16-11, 06:33 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i had this problem with my old gs400 and it was going to be like $100+ to get the yellow stock lenses from the dealership and a little pain to put them on (not much, but the hassle of going to the dealership was not cool), so i went to a shop in herndon and told the guy upon walking in that i was missing the yellow housings and handed him a $20 and he passed me and I paid for the inspection a second time. still cheaper and less painful than going to the dealership.

i later found a guy that did it straight up every year for like $40 if i recall.

MD is a lot less strict on their checks but it is a lot lot more difficult to find someone willing to pass you under the table; not sure which one is better in this case
Old 07-16-11, 06:51 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for not helping cause before I went into inspection, i ask the guy about my LED brake light(oem) only 90% of the LED works and couple LED bulbs went out, he would fail me. It is pretty tough in VA.
Old 07-16-11, 08:43 AM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

dude, sounds like they are strict up there. Just make a trip to VA Beach and get it done here.
Old 07-16-11, 10:33 AM
ISO*LS430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3sgte_slow
dude, sounds like they are strict up there. Just make a trip to VA Beach and get it done here.
He did get it done in Va Beach. The person that use to inspect our cars got caught so he tightened up a lot. The car is back in NOVA now so that's why this thread was created.
Old 07-16-11, 08:05 PM
revtekgs
Pole Position

The front end was just repainted so putting lenses on isn't an option. Worst case scenario...I drive back down to VB and go to a friends shop; however, I wasn't planning on going down within the 15 days given to re-inspect. I'm hoping to get it done up here this week. Everything is in great condition and the front bumper looks stock so I'm pretty confident that any shop will pass me. The shop that failed me has been passing modded cars for years. They know what to look for and are on probation so that's why I'm in this situation. I posted on here in hopes that someone would know of a guaranteed shop to pass me.
Old 07-17-11, 07:34 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Come to vb I got a guy that will pass u.
Old 07-17-11, 05:53 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WTF, I can't believe these places are this strict. I've never failed an inspection. I went to Merchants last year with bald tires, a tail light out, slammed, with tint and passed with no problem. He told me about my tires and just told me to get them replaced ASAP.

The only issue I have now is that I installed a wood grain steering wheel and my air bag isn't working which shows a light on my dash. So I need to figure that out before the next one. Good luck with everything, I still can't believe that they are strict about a couple of lights. I would go to another garage on a busy day with a shirt and tie so you look like a busy professional person.
Old 07-17-11, 07:25 PM
revtekgs
Pole Position

Joe..I may take you up on that if I another shop fails me up here.

Tabaka...which Merchants did you go to?
Old 07-17-11, 07:28 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Takaba, just take out the airbag bulb, solves ur problem!
Old 07-18-11, 06:18 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by horent135
That's what I did. Lol
Old 07-18-11, 06:59 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by horent135
Good call, I want to replace the dash bulbs with LED's and swap needles too. My RPM needle is almost fully out now. I read the DIY on how to replace the needles...it seems like a tricky task but I want to get it done.
Old 07-18-11, 06:01 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

My advice is not to go anywhere in Fairfax, that is FFX police central right there. I have gotten my inspections done at shell gas stations, one in Springfield, one in Lorton, with no trouble. So drive a little south of fairfax and get it done at one of the many shell gas stations that do inspections.
Old 07-18-11, 06:42 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Drive down to Woodbridge/Dale City. Have you seen the cars that drive around this area? There is no way half of them should be passing.
Old 07-18-11, 06:43 PM
Juangado
Driver

Originally Posted by Tabaka
WTF, I can't believe these places are this strict. I've never failed an inspection. I went to Merchants last year with bald tires, a tail light out, slammed, with tint and passed with no problem. He told me about my tires and just told me to get them replaced ASAP.

The only issue I have now is that I installed a wood grain steering wheel and my air bag isn't working which shows a light on my dash. So I need to figure that out before the next one. Good luck with everything, I still can't believe that they are strict about a couple of lights. I would go to another garage on a busy day with a shirt and tie so you look like a busy professional person.
just wire a 2amp fuse to where your air bag connects and light will go out. thats what i did when i installed my nardi wheel

Quick Reply: VA Inspection in Fairfax County