NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

MD state troopers super strict lately

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 09:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPDreamin
Most cops are just doing their job. I roll around with 20% tint and my concealed in the cup holder. Never has been an issue but then again I guess when I have been pulled over they know I can't be stupid enough to be carrying illegal things or drinking and driving like that lol.

In NC they really don't care especially in an area where they "know" who you are. I commute daily to VA and before I was a resident of NC I had a stack in my glove box. The price you pay to modify.
i tried this in japan once but they looked at me like i was an idiot (they let me go anyways though, cuz i had yankee plates and not kanji plates thankfully),, apparently i didn't know the japanese hand signal for you take money & i drive off
Old 09-15-11, 11:50 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys think people are mad at cops simply because they are doing their jobs?
I think normal citizens like (some of) us are mad because cops are people too. They make mistakes, they are emotional and they do not always follow the rules/laws even though they are suppose to because well, they are the enforcer of the law.

Due to nature of their jobs, they can be absolutely aHoles to us - because well, they dont know if we are good/bad, criminals/innocent ppl. I think it is in those situations that pisses us off.

I like law but I hate traffic law here in VA. If a cop pulls you over for speeding - whether you did or not, there is absolutely no way for you to depend yourself. To me, that is not justice. If it is your word against theirs and theirs always win, then why bother going to court at all? Cops are both enforcer and the judge. IMO, like everything else in this nation. You should be INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Traffic law is one area where this simply does not apply.

That said... Bottom line is, if we think the laws are broken, then we need to remake the laws by voting in politican law makers. Otherwise, shut up and abide by what we agreed to when we got the license.
Old 09-15-11, 12:12 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Legends6spd
I like law but I hate traffic law here in VA. If a cop pulls you over for speeding - whether you did or not, there is absolutely no way for you to depend yourself. To me, that is not justice. If it is your word against theirs and theirs always win, then why bother going to court at all? Cops are both enforcer and the judge. IMO, like everything else in this nation. You should be INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Traffic law is one area where this simply does not apply.
Can you elaborate on this a little bit as I want to understand fully the point you're trying to make (I agree with the remainder of your post though). True you can't defend yourself against getting pulled over but how do they 'always win' to where it's not worth going to court? Are you saying cops can just pull anyone over and say they were doing 80 in a 60 and you are just forced to pay?
Old 09-15-11, 02:31 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Can you elaborate on this a little bit as I want to understand fully the point you're trying to make (I agree with the remainder of your post though). True you can't defend yourself against getting pulled over but how do they 'always win' to where it's not worth going to court? Are you saying cops can just pull anyone over and say they were doing 80 in a 60 and you are just forced to pay?
Of course you can defend yourself against a speeding ticket, you make sure you ask to see the gun results in court as well as when the gun was last calibrated by a certified individual. when your put in a position of your word against the officers is in the case of wreckless, or negligent driving then its the officers word against yours unless there is video footage from the onboard camera. So what ends up happening is if your not clocked speeding you ll get a ticket for negligent driving, which is b.s... and come court time the judge most of the time is going to side with the officer.
Old 09-15-11, 02:38 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

how come in MD the cops don't carry those little devices to tell how dark someone's tint is? every where else i've lived they check your tint and if its way too dark they give you a ticket or what have, and if its borderline they usually let you go... but here in md they just give you a repair order and tell you to have a nice day.

repair order = take time off to go to the damn mva (md's gay *** way of calling a DMV) and have them inspect it; or just have the item removed at your expense and then pay to have it re-inspected for proof.
Old 09-15-11, 02:41 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

and to mr legend speed. i hope you are not referring to me when you said "Do you guys think people are mad at cops simply because they are doing their jobs?"

i am mad at them for being so so **** retentive. my tint is borderline (within 10% of legal limit) and people are flagrantly speeding, but yet he pulls me over. i know he is doing his job, but doing your job is more beneficial when you actually are preventing or catching someone breaking a moving violation or some more severe heinous act.

MD law also allows a 10% darker window if someone has a sensitive eyes issue and therefore can get a waiver for up to 10% darker than legal limit. if i had produced this document do you think he would have let me go... no, because he didn't even have a field tester kit on him, he just handed me the repair order and told me to have a nice day, even after i told him that it was within legal limits verbally... the super **** copper would have still made me take my own time off of work to go stand in line at a smelly disgusting mva to prove to the 'system' that my shiz really doesn't stink, and this is what i have a problem with...

Last edited by sojah; 09-15-11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-15-11, 03:23 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

they can pull anyone over going the oposite direction and give you speed greater then resonable just becasue you car cought their eye. When you go to court for it and say you did not go above the posted speed limit the judge is going to say"officers go to school for this and they learn how to tell speed within 5mph blah blah by watching the car drive by" and you will loose. Court systems are ****ed i'm sorry, i just lost a case in court when i put on customers headers and told the dude they wont fit he told me he'll pay for me to try after i spent almost all day on the job i got them to fit, but the suspension components that needed to be conected that i disconected would not clear. HE demanded car back without paying, i put lien on it. He tows the car to another shop and gets them on his side the testify in court that it could be made to work and i didnt do it correctly when i know for a fact they dont fit. I had pictures of proof, he claimed scratches, damages on his car...etc. I counter sued him and lost. The law states that if a shop performs a job and customer disagrees to pay i should recive full amount of money for work and storage fees for 8 months. The judge said that in "HIS EYES" work performed and work finished is 2 different things and i dont deserve nothing and i should pay for his so said scratches and damages when his car sat under a car cover on a lift 6 feet up in the air for 8 months just for that exact reason so i didnt want to get sued for stupid **** like that.
**** Court system, i got bend over like a cheap hooker behind a dumpster by so called fair court system and to top it off lawer fees and all. I was told by multiple lawyers that if i try to take it to circuit crt i'll probably loose because of this judges decision...so its pretty much a lost cause and would cost me another 5 gs.
Old 09-15-11, 04:22 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
they can pull anyone over going the oposite direction and give you speed greater then resonable just becasue you car cought their eye. When you go to court for it and say you did not go above the posted speed limit the judge is going to say"officers go to school for this and they learn how to tell speed within 5mph blah blah by watching the car drive by" and you will loose. Court systems are ****ed i'm sorry, i just lost a case in court when i put on customers headers and told the dude they wont fit he told me he'll pay for me to try after i spent almost all day on the job i got them to fit, but the suspension components that needed to be conected that i disconected would not clear. HE demanded car back without paying, i put lien on it. He tows the car to another shop and gets them on his side the testify in court that it could be made to work and i didnt do it correctly when i know for a fact they dont fit. I had pictures of proof, he claimed scratches, damages on his car...etc. I counter sued him and lost. The law states that if a shop performs a job and customer disagrees to pay i should recive full amount of money for work and storage fees for 8 months. The judge said that in "HIS EYES" work performed and work finished is 2 different things and i dont deserve nothing and i should pay for his so said scratches and damages when his car sat under a car cover on a lift 6 feet up in the air for 8 months just for that exact reason so i didnt want to get sued for stupid **** like that.
**** Court system, i got bend over like a cheap hooker behind a dumpster by so called fair court system and to top it off lawer fees and all. I was told by multiple lawyers that if i try to take it to circuit crt i'll probably loose because of this judges decision...so its pretty much a lost cause and would cost me another 5 gs.
I know how you feel, getting scam and you were trying to do an honest job that didn't favor in you
Old 09-15-11, 04:45 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Its all good I know multiple places and people to get my repair orders signed and my insurance stays high so another ticket doesn t really bother me I never even got my over 25 discount, oh well is what it is!
Old 09-15-11, 04:48 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not trying to be supercop in the thread or claim to have a love for all police officers but they have a job to do and I respect it. I couldn't and wouldn't do it.

Before I respond to any of the posts, what I'd like for ANY one person to do is list a specific time where a cop has pulled you over and given you a ticket for something you weren't doing.

Example:
You're doing UNDER the speed limit and gotten a ticket for speeding
Your car is stock but you got a tint/repair ticket

Those are the people who have real complaints about officers abusing their power.

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
Of course you can defend yourself against a speeding ticket, you make sure you ask to see the gun results in court as well as when the gun was last calibrated by a certified individual. when your put in a position of your word against the officers is in the case of wreckless, or negligent driving then its the officers word against yours unless there is video footage from the onboard camera. So what ends up happening is if your not clocked speeding you ll get a ticket for negligent driving, which is b.s... and come court time the judge most of the time is going to side with the officer.
Yes, calibration stats are one way out but it's old and doesn't really work anymore. It's not hard to keep guns calibrated and to have records to prove it. It's always your word against the officers. But judges and officers don't go hand in hand with finding you guilty. Everyone likes to quote that just like you did but there is absolutely no proof behind that statement. Neither one benefits financially directly so what's the incentive? A judge is looking to move up careerwise as well, so if their cases get reviewed and it's found that they sided with officers 100% of the time, then where's the impartiality? Back to it being your word, that's the key. It's not what you say, it's how you say it. Like I said started off this post, there are few if any cases that come before a traffic judge where the driver says "Your honor, I broke no laws and have no idea where this ticket came from" So something you did brought you to the officers attention. Officer usually speaks first and is going to read from his notes and list the reason for the stop. You need to go in and show the judge where the officer was mistaken. But if your defense is solely "nuh uh, you're wrong" then what choice does any judge have? Here is a post I made back in 06 about a seatbelt ticket I got... Link No reason why you shouldn't have similar results if you prepare.

Originally Posted by sojah
how come in MD the cops don't carry those little devices to tell how dark someone's tint is? every where else i've lived they check your tint and if its way too dark they give you a ticket or what have, and if its borderline they usually let you go... but here in md they just give you a repair order and tell you to have a nice day.

repair order = take time off to go to the damn mva (md's gay *** way of calling a DMV) and have them inspect it; or just have the item removed at your expense and then pay to have it re-inspected for proof.
If they have the meter, then you're automatically guilty on the spot, why would you want them to have that? Patrol cops standing on the corner see you at a light, walk up to your car and tell you to roll down the window while they test it.

That's the issue. You want to skirt just over the line and have it be legal and that's not going to happen. You're basically asking the officer to say the hell with his/her safety and let you go because you're just over the line. There is no such thing as borderline. If it's illegal, it's illegal and the ticket is the same price IIFC.

lol you do know that the officer could give you a separate ticket per window right?

and to mr legend speed. i hope you are not referring to me when you said "Do you guys think people are mad at cops simply because they are doing their jobs?"

i am mad at them for being so so **** retentive. my tint is borderline (within 10% of legal limit) and people are flagrantly speeding, but yet he pulls me over. i know he is doing his job, but doing your job is more beneficial when you actually are preventing or catching someone breaking a moving violation or some more severe heinous act.

MD law also allows a 10% darker window if someone has a sensitive eyes issue and therefore can get a waiver for up to 10% darker than legal limit. if i had produced this document do you think he would have let me go... no, because he didn't even have a field tester kit on him, he just handed me the repair order and told me to have a nice day, even after i told him that it was within legal limits verbally... the super **** copper would have still made me take my own time off of work to go stand in line at a smelly disgusting mva to prove to the 'system' that my shiz really doesn't stink, and this is what i have a problem with...
The sensitive eye thing kills me. I've heard of people getting doctors notes for sensitive eyes but I've yet to actually see one or meet a doctor stupid enough to issue one so I believe it's more of a myth than anything else. Why a doctor would issue a healthy person a prescription for tinted windows and then sign off on it with their medical license is beyond my comprehension. You run over a kid at night and it comes out that your tint is the cause and it's 'legal' because of a doctors note, they'd be sitting right next to you in civil court. I've seen guys who drive their parents car that have the note and think they are fine with the tint. But that note only applies to the parents and you still could end up with a ticket.

Sorry you lost your case but that's definitely different than traffic court. Unless you had a written agreement that the customer was going to pay you for trying to fit the headers, then I'd have to agree with the judge as well. Sounds like the customers car left the shop the exact way it came in (without installed headers) so there was no work 'performed'. You should have been paid for the attempt is my thought.

But you're right. It's your word against someone who does this for a living and probably has been property trained for it. So why wouldn't the judge give more weight to his argument than yours? Judge hears "it wasn't me" all day long so you have to give them a reason to think differently. Estimating speed isn't rocket science at all. it's blah blah blah to us but to think them them doing it day in and day out isn't going to make them good at it is doing a disservice to yourself.
Old 09-15-11, 05:35 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by horent135
I know how you feel, getting scam and you were trying to do an honest job that didn't favor in you
He would need to figure out how to scam the dentist to put all his teeth back in his face!X^o!!!
Old 09-15-11, 08:13 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not trying to be supercop in the thread or claim to have a love for all police officers but they have a job to do and I respect it. I couldn't and wouldn't do it.

Before I respond to any of the posts, what I'd like for ANY one person to do is list a specific time where a cop has pulled you over and given you a ticket for something you weren't doing.

Example:
You're doing UNDER the speed limit and gotten a ticket for speeding
Your car is stock but you got a tint/repair ticket

Those are the people who have real complaints about officers abusing their power.

Yes, calibration stats are one way out but it's old and doesn't really work anymore. It's not hard to keep guns calibrated and to have records to prove it. It's always your word against the officers. But judges and officers don't go hand in hand with finding you guilty. Everyone likes to quote that just like you did but there is absolutely no proof behind that statement. Neither one benefits financially directly so what's the incentive? A judge is looking to move up careerwise as well, so if their cases get reviewed and it's found that they sided with officers 100% of the time, then where's the impartiality? Back to it being your word, that's the key. It's not what you say, it's how you say it. Like I said started off this post, there are few if any cases that come before a traffic judge where the driver says "Your honor, I broke no laws and have no idea where this ticket came from" So something you did brought you to the officers attention. Officer usually speaks first and is going to read from his notes and list the reason for the stop. You need to go in and show the judge where the officer was mistaken. But if your defense is solely "nuh uh, you're wrong" then what choice does any judge have? Here is a post I made back in 06 about a seatbelt ticket I got... Link No reason why you shouldn't have similar results if you prepare.

If they have the meter, then you're automatically guilty on the spot, why would you want them to have that? Patrol cops standing on the corner see you at a light, walk up to your car and tell you to roll down the window while they test it.

That's the issue. You want to skirt just over the line and have it be legal and that's not going to happen. You're basically asking the officer to say the hell with his/her safety and let you go because you're just over the line. There is no such thing as borderline. If it's illegal, it's illegal and the ticket is the same price IIFC.

lol you do know that the officer could give you a separate ticket per window right?

The sensitive eye thing kills me. I've heard of people getting doctors notes for sensitive eyes but I've yet to actually see one or meet a doctor stupid enough to issue one so I believe it's more of a myth than anything else. Why a doctor would issue a healthy person a prescription for tinted windows and then sign off on it with their medical license is beyond my comprehension. You run over a kid at night and it comes out that your tint is the cause and it's 'legal' because of a doctors note, they'd be sitting right next to you in civil court. I've seen guys who drive their parents car that have the note and think they are fine with the tint. But that note only applies to the parents and you still could end up with a ticket.

Sorry you lost your case but that's definitely different than traffic court. Unless you had a written agreement that the customer was going to pay you for trying to fit the headers, then I'd have to agree with the judge as well. Sounds like the customers car left the shop the exact way it came in (without installed headers) so there was no work 'performed'. You should have been paid for the attempt is my thought.

But you're right. It's your word against someone who does this for a living and probably has been property trained for it. So why wouldn't the judge give more weight to his argument than yours? Judge hears "it wasn't me" all day long so you have to give them a reason to think differently. Estimating speed isn't rocket science at all. it's blah blah blah to us but to think them them doing it day in and day out isn't going to make them good at it is doing a disservice to yourself.
All i gotta say is i had prove pictures of his own parts that he brought me!!!!not something i sold him!
I'll bend over backwards for a person i spend over a full day on this guys car after this guy said"do whatever you have to, to make these fit bang them cut them whatever make them fit" i did i put them on the car after taking bunch of stuff off the car and when i went to put them back on the car i realized steering wasnt going back on. When i called the customer and told him that. He was heated, called the header company some chump that gets $8 an hour to pick up the phone tells him catalog says it fits, so it should fit. So he calls me back and tells me that header company says it fits and i'm doing something wrong! Even after all that i was willing to charge him for half of labor to take them back off and told him to get another set that is right and i'll put it on for extra charge of course but he was off the wall crazy. HE was so confused from all the info from 2 sides that he chose to trust someone over the phone vs someone that was showing him exactly why his parts wont fit in person!
Dont mind the fact i looked up the guys name and he had like 4 law suits going on, the one that stuck in my memory was dry cleaners... His lawyer also told me he was schizophrenic, he also fliped out on sheriff when they picked up the car from my shop. The sheriff told him to shut his mouth or he would get arrested! So i loose in court to this person? yes correct i'm wrong..
want to store you ride at my shop under a cover in a heated garage for almost a year and get paid almost 5gs? hit me up!

Last edited by MDSC; 09-15-11 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-16-11, 04:42 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

hey mr. papi i hear you on the doctors note thing but what about all these crack doc's handing out medicinal marijuana notes like they're candy¿¿

sometimes i sorta wish i was a cop or had better cop connects so i could get more freedoms
Old 09-16-11, 07:30 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

All i gotta say is i had prove pictures of his own parts that he brought me!!!!not something i sold him!
I'll bend over backwards for a person i spend over a full day on this guys car after this guy said"do whatever you have to, to make these fit bang them cut them whatever make them fit" i did i put them on the car after taking bunch of stuff off the car and when i went to put them back on the car i realized steering wasnt going back on. When i called the customer and told him that. He was heated, called the header company some chump that gets $8 an hour to pick up the phone tells him catalog says it fits, so it should fit. So he calls me back and tells me that header company says it fits and i'm doing something wrong! Even after all that i was willing to charge him for half of labor to take them back off and told him to get another set that is right and i'll put it on for extra charge of course but he was off the wall crazy. HE was so confused from all the info from 2 sides that he chose to trust someone over the phone vs someone that was showing him exactly why his parts wont fit in person!
Dont mind the fact i looked up the guys name and he had like 4 law suits going on, the one that stuck in my memory was dry cleaners... His lawyer also told me he was schizophrenic, he also fliped out on sheriff when they picked up the car from my shop. The sheriff told him to shut his mouth or he would get arrested! So i loose in court to this person? yes correct i'm wrong..
want to store you ride at my shop under a cover in a heated garage for almost a year and get paid almost 5gs? hit me up!
I wasn't saying you were wrong or that you shouldn't have been paid for your efforts (man hours). Just said that I can understand the judges decision. Doesn't mean I like it or agree with it.

hey mr. papi i hear you on the doctors note thing but what about all these crack doc's handing out medicinal marijuana notes like they're candy¿¿

sometimes i sorta wish i was a cop or had better cop connects so i could get more freedoms
They may not be crack docs. Do some reading on marijuana and the purposes is serves in treating aliments. Marijuana treats a ton of the same ailments we spend $$$$ (wait there's a few more dollar signs coming) $$$$ on prescription drugs. But Pfizer and other large pharmaceutical companies are cozy with govt officials and provide large donations. The more Pfizer makes, the more they can donate. Thus weed is illegal.

There's always a larger picture.
Old 09-16-11, 08:31 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Well until its 100 legal for all no matter on where u work, it does me no good... I was just saying if u can get a med MJ script then one should be able to get a 10% darker tint script (not sure if this is a prescription or not).

Quick Reply: MD state troopers super strict lately