NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Speeding ticket help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 09:00 PM
tardorange
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket help

Whats up guys. I got my first ticket yesterday. I was on taconic state parkway headed to class. I have used that route many times. I was late so I was going 80+ and as soon as I took my exit I notice NYSP hauling *** behind me lights flashing.

I pull over turn my hazards on, windows down, key on dash, hands on wheel. Trooper comes over "License and registration". I give him my stuff tell this is the first time I have been pulled over for a ticket. He says nothing goes back and comes back with a ticket 83 in a 55. Told me its 8 points . Said get a lawyer. No surprise the trooper could not do simple math...its actually 6 points. He got me with laser.

My question is since this is my first ticket can I expect the judge to go easy on me? I am hoping it gets reduced to a parking ticket or something. Any advice? I am still on junior license....few weeks till I turn 18 lol.

Thanks

Last edited by tardorange; 09-16-11 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-16-11, 09:26 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Honestly, if he showed the laser gun to you. That would be hard to get out of.

Im not sure if they would be easy going, since teens are the ones that cause the trouble.

Now if you were 25, with no laser gun in the equation. It could be fought.
And the judge can go easy.

But in your case, only if the officer doesnt show up. You may have a chance.

Best to take the lesson learned, and not do it. Yes its tempting, but as you experienced speeding costs.
Old 09-16-11, 09:40 PM
tardorange
Driver

Never showed the laser gun to me. Just says laser on ticket. I know 3 other teens that were caught at the same "speed trap" and the ticket was dropped to parking ticket. They paid $85 in court fees plus $200 on the ticket.

Plus it was in morning going to school. Not like coming back from party or anything. =/. I heard you get a chance to "bargain down your ticket". I know a trooper she said she would vouch for me and to tell her when my court date is. Not sure what that would do.
Old 09-16-11, 10:18 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Well now you have a chance.

Take it to court, you never know.

Worst case is end up paying the fine, but if there is a chance of getting
something reduced it could be worth it.

You would get the notice like 2 months down the road anyways of when to appear in court.

I think someone with legal knowledge will pitch in... never got a ticket myself.

Best be careful next time.

BTW nice list of rides...
Old 09-16-11, 11:20 PM
tardorange
Driver

Originally Posted by NVTHSLEX
Well now you have a chance.

Take it to court, you never know.

Worst case is end up paying the fine, but if there is a chance of getting
something reduced it could be worth it.

You would get the notice like 2 months down the road anyways of when to appear in court.

I think someone with legal knowledge will pitch in... never got a ticket myself.

Best be careful next time.

BTW nice list of rides...
Thank you man! I love your 2G GS. Looks very nice! Are you in Canada? I go to Mississauga 6-8 times a year.

I know much more careful now. I honestly....yesterday morning I said to myself "I have never gotten a ticket yet". And 20 min later I got one.
Old 09-17-11, 01:18 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If neither if those options, they could offer something called "deferred defined hearing". It is useful for people who have not gotten an infraction before for for people who had previous infactions and do not want to have another (since it raises insurance).

The infraction will be held (nothing will be written on your record) for a year and will be destroyed (as if nothing happened) if these conditions are met. First is you have to take a driving education class which you have to pay for. The other is, you cannot get another infraction within a year - if you do, the one ticket held, will be written into your record, plus the new one.
Old 09-17-11, 08:09 AM
tardorange
Driver

That sounds great but I don't think we have that in NY. I heard if your ticket gets reduced insurance companies still see the original ticket through another "system".

Is it true? So even if my 6pt ticket gets reduced and I get convicted of a 2pt ticket....will my insurance see the 6pt ticket as well? How is that possible if they reduce it and THEN convict me of a 2pt ticket.

If they do that will my insurance see the 2pt ticket or the 6pt? Or both? I am really confused! I would think they would see the 2pt ticket....otherwise why would people hire lawyers/fight tickets lol.
Old 09-21-11, 06:21 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Fyi, don't know if it true or not, a cop told me anything over 80 is reckless. Since ur under 18 and might consider a reckless ticket, that why he told u to get a lawyer. Either talk to the cop to reduce the ticket, hope get a nice judge or get a lawyer.
Old 09-21-11, 07:39 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by breadsc400
In NY its anything over 100 is reckless, the taconic troopers are dicks and will pull you over for going 67 in a 65 if they think you have something in your car, I assume your driving to WCC, why not just spend the money on a radar detector if your going to speed, wont ever get a speeding ticket again, or be smart and beat the traffic and go through the backroads to WCC so you wont have to see the troopers at all. You'll probably get lucky and have it reduced to a failure to obey a traffic control device which is 2pts, but first thing you should do is always request supporting deposition.
No disrespect, but the OP should ignore just about everything you wrote in this post.

Reckless driving
Reckless driving shall mean driving or using
any motor vehicle, motorcycle or any other vehicle propelled by any
power other than muscular power or any appliance or accessory thereof in
a manner which unreasonably interferes with the free and proper use of
the public highway, or unreasonably endangers users of the public
highway. Reckless driving is prohibited. Every person violating this
provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
Doing 67 on the Taconic while the speed limit is 55 doesn't make the cop a ****, makes you a speeder. State Police now use laser and laser > Detectors.

OP, get a lawyer. Reckless driving comes with 5 points. And with a junior license as you stated, you have restrictions that apply to your license. IIRC you're not allowed to be on the Taconic at all. But if the officer didn't mention it, then I'm guessing there's something different with your situation.

3 speeding violations in 18 months = Suspension and $$$$$ to get it back.

Good luck
Old 10-03-11, 02:32 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah those northern towns they just want the money before you go into the court room talk with the officer it happened to me one time up in middletown, all he said was when the judge ask me if I want a transcipt or something like dat it was awhile ago to say no and they changed it to making a wrong turn and had to pay a fine, another time it was changed to my tints being too dark they just want the money for the town
Old 11-16-11, 03:20 PM
tardorange
Driver

Just to update. My court date was Monday but I delayed it to next month. I am going to delay it again next month and hopefully go in March. Lets see what happens. I was talking to a couple of friends who also got similar tickets and all of them had the tickets dropped to something simple with no points.