Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 11:30 PM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with ticket

I know I'm going to get bashed.. but I need some advices
It was around 2.5 months ago, I was driving on rt13 in Harrington, Delaware
cruising at 55mph and then got pulled over.. (lots or cars at that time and I was driving with the flow... I knew I'd get messed because I'm out-state)

gave me a ticket of speeding over 20 mph (55 in 35) clocked by Lidar
the fine was $181

I sent back a mail plead not guilty and the court date is set on Nov. 10th

trying to either let them lower my fine or argue with them...
so apparently I looked on Google maps and the officer was clocking people in a McD driveway after the speed limit sign 45 had shown..
(from speed limit sign to where he was is around 200 feet, he clocked me at a distance of 500 feet)

would I be able to argue that the speed limit was 45 instead of 35?

Or I should just say that I'm guilty and let them decide if they are willing to give me a break and drop the points...

Thanks for the input...
Old 11-02-11, 08:49 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Being that I travel all over, am fairly familiar with that location (trucker) . Honestly, from what you are saying, you don't really have a chance, because the fact still remains that you were doing 55 in a 35 zone. The limit does not raise until after you get pass the sign and then goes to 45. There really is no limit as to how far the cops are limited to capture your speed. Trust and believe, I have seen peeps get tickets up to a mile away from where they actually committed the infration. For some reason, yes, your car did stand out from the crowd and you did get popped. How is your driving record?? If it isnt too far, I would go to court on this one, and hope they give you a break on it. Cop most likely figured that since you are from out of town, there is NO WAY that you would come all the way back just to address a ticket. Yes you are gonna face some kind of repercussion on this one, but if your record is pretty decent, and you don't try to go into the court with attitude, and you pretty much admit to your wrong-doing you may get off with a fine, reduced points and court costs.

Just my $.02.
Old 11-02-11, 11:46 PM
IS250TW
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, what I hope is that they can make it another violation instead of moving violation
(since out of NJ moving violations counts as 2 points..)
and my driving record is clean (except of one tint ticket, which did not affect my insurance or whatnot)
so this is going to be my first time going to court =\
(I will be driving three hours down there that morning...)

the mail they sent me said that
"a representative of the police agency will be available to discuss the case with the defendant prior to going before the Justice of the Peace"
so does that mean this won't really go into court but a officer will try to negotiate with me what can be done?

Thank you
Old 11-05-11, 09:20 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not throughly familiar with Deleware system, I live in Md. From what you mentioned, it sounds like the officer himself may not be there, but one of their lawyers/legal personnel. They may plea bargin the ticket down to a lesser fine or even PBJ (probation before judgement), Case will still go into court since there is a date for it, but it is not uncommon for some jurisdictions to try to strike up a deal and then present THAT to the court (somewhat of settlement out of court) in order to have the case moved thru the system in a quick manner.