NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Body Shop Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 02:23 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Shop Troubles

So I wrote this in the IS general forum but I will post my follow up over here.

See OP for pics. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-your-is.html

Long and short is two 2x4's fall off a shelf and hit my drivers side door. I was convinced that this was an easy fix after talking to the insurance and the two body shops. I decided to go with D and V auto body of Sterling Va. I went to go pick up my car and it was dark so we walked around casually with a flashlight. I noticed there were holograms where they did some PDR on minor dents. The salesman said it was just wax, I knew this was not true but knew that with my DA polisher I could handle it myself. All appeared well so I drove off. On the way home I noticed dust on my windshield but when I tried using the wipers it still remained. This turned out to be the tip of the iceberg of a total misting of over-spray on my entire car. When I got home I could see that my mirror black car now looked like metallic flake from all the over-spray. Running my hand over my car used to feel like glass but now it is rough and sounds like cardboard I went to look at my newly painted drivers side door and I almost fell over. The base coat is nowhere near black and the finish is marred and scoured to hell. I am getting this fixed ASAP, do you guys have any recommendations or ideas on how to return my baby to normal?

What do you guys think?

EDIT
I have already tried to clay the windshield but It really did not remove anything
Attached Thumbnails Body Shop Troubles-mar.jpg   Body Shop Troubles-color.png   Body Shop Troubles-overspray.png   Body Shop Troubles-morespray.png  

Last edited by m4gicm4tt; 01-15-13 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 02:57 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh my god. They butchered your car.

I would be thinking small claims court at this point.
Old 01-08-13, 03:25 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would you inspect the car at night time... that was dumb.. take it back but goodluck because now they are not obligated to do anything
Old 01-08-13, 03:42 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that was a horrible job by your body shop bro! MIA_LEX said it best, why would you inspect your car at night? Never, ever do that...I know you're ready to get your car, but always day and in some type of light. You'll be able to see any inperfections, if any. Plus you should do this while at the shop...once you leave the shop, it's usually tough to get these problems resolved? In this case considering the paint if on your door is way off, you still have a chance to fight it? I'd take it back, obviously you didn't paint your door yourself, so you can make them fix that! If they'll willing to work with you, I'd give it a shot. If they're not willing to work with you, I'd file a complaint with the BBB...as far as the windshield. I can talk you through the process of removing this without any flaws. I'll pm you my contact info, give me a call in about a hour.

steve
Old 01-08-13, 03:42 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
why would you inspect the car at night time... that was dumb.. take it back but goodluck because now they are not obligated to do anything
Thanks for the encouragement... They are obligated because they are a recommended shop of my insurance and they hold the money. Both the insurance and the shop have a lifetime guarantee on the repairs. I took a tour of the shop before and there was a Aston DB9 and two Ferrari's being worked on. I thought after speaking with them and viewing the shop that they were the right people for my car. We did tour the car but in strong light and sunlight you can really see what they did wrong. I called the shop less the 45min after leaving as well.

Not accepting the car still would not solve the problem, which was already done at that point. I know I was too excited to get her back to really push to get everything examined with a microscope.

In case it was not clear, both the body shop and the insurance are not happy until I am happy. My insurance will even allow me to go somewhere else to get it fixed if I so choose, all of this is not cost to me.

Last edited by m4gicm4tt; 01-08-13 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 05:55 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

D&V came highly recommended on this forum and the BMW forums. I was going to use them for a good detail. It's a shame to hear of your results.

I had a pretty bad experience 2 years back when my mr2 was rear ended by a F350 super duty full of illegals. I took it to Chantilly Auto Body to have the repair work done. Once they received all the parts, the car was finished within 3 days. Even in bright sunlight, I couldn't tell the condition of the paint. It took me until I put her in the garage with a bit of day light to see everything. Long story short, I took it back 8 times for shoddy paint work. They even stated that an 80% solution is fine for almost all customers and I was being overly ****. Eventually, the manager said that they were no longer going to work on it after they made a dime sized paint chip down to the fiber glass of my spoiler. I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau. They ended up repainting the spoiler again and fixing the remainder of the clear coat scratches.

Even with a lifetime warranty, they can still give you problems...as you can see from my last experience. My advice to you is to be persistent and inspect your car in all different types of lights and angles.
Old 01-08-13, 06:05 PM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
D&V came highly recommended on this forum and the BMW forums. I was going to use them for a good detail. It's a shame to hear of your results.

I had a pretty bad experience 2 years back when my mr2 was rear ended by a F350 super duty full of illegals. I took it to Chantilly Auto Body to have the repair work done. Once they received all the parts, the car was finished within 3 days. Even in bright sunlight, I couldn't tell the condition of the paint. It took me until I put her in the garage with a bit of day light to see everything. Long story short, I took it back 8 times for shoddy paint work. They even stated that an 80% solution is fine for almost all customers and I was being overly ****. Eventually, the manager said that they were no longer going to work on it after they made a dime sized paint chip down to the fiber glass of my spoiler. I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau. They ended up repainting the spoiler again and fixing the remainder of the clear coat scratches.

Even with a lifetime warranty, they can still give you problems...as you can see from my last experience. My advice to you is to be persistent and inspect your car in all different types of lights and angles.
D&V is a quality place from what I hear as well, they certainly have great reviews. There is no doubt though that they did a terrible job, however they already contacted me to get things taken care of. So far their customer service is but the jury is out on their craftsmanship. I will keep you guys up to date on how they handle their mistake since that is where you really see the difference between companies. I am going to get clarification on their leather dressings because I will not be too happy if I find out that they used a magic eraser on my leather.

I guess no matter the company mistakes are inevitable, imagine this kind of work on the DB9 that I saw in there with a wrecked front end.
Old 01-08-13, 06:08 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wasnt trying to be discouraging but like i said good luck.
Old 01-08-13, 08:19 PM
SupraMan17
Intermediate

damn...that job is ***.

i remember i had a repaint by a body shop through a friend's recommendation. when i got the car back....i swear it looked like they painted my front bumper with a fkin paint brush...no joke.

basically told them i wont pay them for the work unless they do it right and i wont pay a penny more than i was quoted. they refused so i took the car and brought it somewhere else to get it done right.

i didn't steal the car...the owner of the shop didnt care. just told me to take it and never come back. so i did. he knew it was a ***** job....didn't even match....the oem paint.