North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Performance Shop Info (Snap Perf, & others)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09 | 12:59 PM
Dattt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slvrboolet
Excuse my dumbness but why not just boost the current motor? Wouldnt it cost the same or less to upgrade and boost the current motor vs swapping motors then upgrading to a bigger turbo in the future? Also wouldnt you get more hp going with a bigger single turbo then going with the stock twins? If i am talking out the *** i apoligize lol..
he wants to be more balla haha GTE is nice! and maybe the stock motor has too many miles being an SC =P
Old 03-04-09 | 06:11 PM
Matador
Racer

For some of these prices he could definately run a healthy NA-T set up with a conservative tune for daily driving.
Old 03-04-09 | 06:22 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

After seeing enough people spending enough money boosting the current motor. They had attempted to do the cheapest boost, which is not doing internal work, or having it port polished. Just custom turbo and intercooling... What originally started a less than 1k project can turn into 20k of repairs and parts just trying to figure out why the motor blew out, and once repairs are done. Why isn't it running properly? So it's either overhauling the whole motor to handle boost or swap that's known to handle it...
Old 03-04-09 | 06:27 PM
Matador
Racer

Where did you copy that ^^^ from?

stock NA block is perfectly capable of handling boost. Any project can turn into a 20k project, but I dont think anyone plans to spend 1k and go NA-T.. if they do then its no doubt they were a little misguided.
Old 03-04-09 | 06:31 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

I'm just talking motors in general... 2jz are whole other animal depending how much power you planning to put into it and for what particular driving style...

Last edited by dAng_bAy; 03-04-09 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-04-09 | 06:46 PM
Matador
Racer

Originally Posted by dAng_bAy
I'm just talking motors in general... 2jz are whole other animal depending how much power you planning to put into it and for what particular driving style...
ah, yeah that makes sense. These little "projects" do have a tendency to get outta control kinda quick. I thought that was someone commenting on the 2jz swaps vs NA-T.
Old 03-04-09 | 10:12 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

The gte is a really strong motor. One of the strongest motors next to the RB26dett that nissan came out with. Both motors are capable of 1000whp stock internal its just how long it will last. But the GTE internals are definitely stronger and should hold up to what scott wants to push =D. Just make sure to keep the maintenance done right and so on thats all you need to do. Most swaps mess up because of ignorance or lack of attention to detail when you should change this and ignore it.
Old 03-05-09 | 09:41 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

Main reason to try to get away from doing NA or NA-T, is changing plugs... Gotta love that intake manifold...
Old 03-05-09 | 11:22 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Scott just wants the extra v-tak.
Old 03-05-09 | 02:35 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Scott just wants the extra v-tak.
Yeah baby!
Old 03-05-09 | 03:00 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

would it be nice to open our own type of diy shop where you could rent lifts etc!
Old 03-05-09 | 04:32 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Unhappy

Originally Posted by DFLORES
would it be nice to open our own type of diy shop where you could rent lifts etc!
Got that right. And to think I had a shot at a slightly used lift (14 times) for $600 about a year ago...I could kick myself.
Old 03-11-09 | 03:22 PM
crx378
Pole Position

so did you get the price you are looking for? i have done a few swaps with bryan which is no longer with snap per. and now works for ross. we would buy new wire harnesses from toyota because the old ones were to brittle to work with and would break. i would help you out, but i do not yet know how to weld aluminum.
Old 03-11-09 | 03:58 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Originally Posted by crx378
so did you get the price you are looking for? i have done a few swaps with bryan which is no longer with snap per. and now works for ross. we would buy new wire harnesses from toyota because the old ones were to brittle to work with and would break. i would help you out, but i do not yet know how to weld aluminum.
I did, thanks for asking. I found one deal that, at least initially, stands out better than the others with less of the foreseen b.s. There were conversations I had with some shops where it felt like you were already adversarial with them, it was stunning. They must have so many negative experiences with customers, that they're just anticipating the negatives and attempting to head them off at the first conversation. There were some shops I spoke with where you could tell you would be the guinea pig/their-1st-2J swap.

I'm going to take David's (Snap) advice and go with a new Toyota harness; he said it's the only way to guarantee all of the Lexus car functions I'm used to, while at the same time eliminating the fear of breakage. The fun now is finding it at the best price. I'm also intercooler (and the associated piping) shopping. Once I've got all that, I'm ready to roll since I'll be using the stock twins and stock ECU (for a while ).

My main debate right now is doing this with the NTL gang over X number of weekends, versus dropping it off at a shop and being done with it until it IS done.
Old 03-11-09 | 05:09 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

The S is actually getting an intercooler and Greddy bov installed this coming saturday over there... Let's see what other goodies are there to purchase... Mu-ha-ha-ha...

Quick Reply: Performance Shop Info (Snap Perf, & others)