North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Performance Shop Info (Snap Perf, & others)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 10:59 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Performance Shop Info (Snap Perf, & others)

Putting out a HELP for information.
Snap Performance, which I believe is in Denton, does not have any information out on the web that Google or YellowPages.com can locate.

I know several of you chaps have had swaps performed by them. Does anyone have a contact number or something?

I'm collecting bids for my 2JZGTE swap (which is about to be on its way to my home or to a shop). As much as I enjoy the work sessions and have been told we can perform such a swap in my garage over a weekend, I don't want to ask that much and/or burn folks out on such a massive task.

Anyway, it can never hurt to collect information, so if you have contact info for Snap I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 03-03-09 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 12:01 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

Ahhh we do it in the garage.
Old 03-03-09, 12:14 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Now that I've spoken to a few shops, here are items they're consistently listing as part of what should be done:
  • Change out the cams and crank seals
  • Replace all the valve steam seals
  • Replace all the valve cover gaskets
  • Replace the water and timing belt
  • Fab the front mount
  • Change out the oil pain if needed
I guess this can be performed either by us or the shop providing the service.

Yeah I'd prefer to do it ourselves like usual:
  1. It's educational
  2. It's hands-on
  3. It's FUN
  4. I end up seeing hours of the clock I didn't know existed
  5. We fry unimaginable amounts of food
  6. Can't beat the price
  7. Etc., etc., etc.
Now that I think about it, WHY do I want to take it somewhere?!?!

Oh yeah. Drop it off. Pay them. Pick it up. Take it back to 'em if something ain't working right.

Gawd, I'm vexed.
Old 03-03-09, 12:48 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

no way...do it yourself. Word of advice though on this. I would have done this in 1 week end but 1 thing...THE WIRING HARNESS. I began going down the road of the JDM and extending that. Then after all the concern of the solder and potential issues I decided to go with a USDM TT harness and that took some time to find and is now being refurb'd. My harness was in really bad shape but it was the only one I could find. The JDM one you can send off or tackle by yourself but know that there is limited info available.

Other than that it is very straight forward. The only item I did not do on your list is the stem seals. Everything else is very straight forward.

my .02
Old 03-03-09, 02:20 PM
Dattt
Lexus Test Driver

sounds insane scott are they going to be up to it if yu decide to do it in the garage? haha
Old 03-03-09, 02:44 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long may have Snaps contact info, I think I have David's cell# if you need that.

If you do have it swapped elsewhere you could always do the "extra" stuff at home in the garage if that nets you some savings, but it would be easier with the motor out of the car.
Old 03-03-09, 03:00 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, I already texted Scott his cel number earlier... hahaha...
Old 03-03-09, 08:03 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

Hey Scott basically when you get the engien you want to change every seal and so on imaginable because it makes life 10x easier than when it was on the car. Just sayin from experience lol. But yea get what you need and so on seal wise and maintenance for sure. Timing belt and all that stuff is essential. It might cost an arm and a leg as of now but it pays off in the end reliability wise.
Old 03-03-09, 10:34 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind many shops work is done AS-IS no warranty. Some of them even get you to sign a waiver of no liability because it is a non OEM aftermarket performance part being installed. Wait, I should start doing that too lol.

Are you going to run stock GTE ECU or go with AEM EMS? Also, you can do all the seals and maintenance yourself when the engine arrives. Then just let the shop drop it in. Everything is pretty straightfoward on a 2JZ swap. It can be done in a fair amount of time if you are actually working and not jacking around lol

Basically what needs to be done:
Pull motor out of the car (4-6 hrs)
Do all maintenance and change seals on new engine (2-3 hrs)
Put motor back into car (4-6 hrs)
Custom build harness (4-12hrs really depends on what needs to be done)

That's really all there is to it...unless you go with aftermarket EMS. Then that's where the fun begins

Last edited by JeffTsai; 03-03-09 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-04-09, 07:44 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Keep in mind many shops work is done AS-IS no warranty. Some of them even get you to sign a waiver of no liability because it is a non OEM aftermarket performance part being installed. Wait, I should start doing that too lol.
As usual, you are SO correct! I've spoken with so many shops now.
  • There were a couple who weren't overly concerned about a customer sourcing an engine from somewhere, because they knew they were going to perform all the maintenance and inspect it carefully anyway before they put it in the car (I'm pretty sure that's how you roll, Jeff).
  • There were many who, because they didn't know the source of the motor (kinda weird, cuz I'd TELL them where I got it if I chose them) they were nervous about working on it, but would, provided "you make sure you have all the parts with you." This phrase was repeated ad nauseum. There's no way, unless you have a Snap-On truck with an automotive parts section in it, that a layperson would know and possess all required parts from the get-go. Kinda weird there.
  • There were two who preferred selling you their "swap package" where they sourced the engine/tranny and all parts. You drop the car off, pay half, they do their routine swap, you come back and pay the other half, and you drive off in a swapped car. The problem with this is that the swap package costs as much as an SC.
Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Are you going to run stock GTE ECU or go with AEM EMS? ...unless you go with aftermarket EMS. Then that's where the fun begins
I'm going with the stock GTE ECU and twins for a while (which makes this a very straightforward swap and high reliability once its running).

Once I recover financially from the swap, I'll put in a T67 and an AEM ECU to begin the higher horsepower/torque journey on my way to the targetted 500HP.
Old 03-04-09, 08:41 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with the swap package is that it costs as much as buying an already swapped SC (car included)
Old 03-04-09, 10:05 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
The problem with the swap package is that it costs as much as buying an already swapped SC (car included)
i agree but all the fun of swapping makes it worth more to me!
Old 03-04-09, 10:08 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

yeah, price varies depending how much the car was paid for before the swap... definetly worth the time and money to learn and build...
Old 03-04-09, 12:45 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Excuse my dumbness but why not just boost the current motor? Wouldnt it cost the same or less to upgrade and boost the current motor vs swapping motors then upgrading to a bigger turbo in the future? Also wouldnt you get more hp going with a bigger single turbo then going with the stock twins? If i am talking out the *** i apoligize lol..
Old 03-04-09, 12:55 PM
JohnnyIS25
Lexus Test Driver

what kind of jibberish are you saying chris!!!!! hehehe jk jk

Quick Reply: Performance Shop Info (Snap Perf, & others)