North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

need NTX body shop recommendation - IS350 rear-end collision

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 07:30 AM
TxRoadkill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need NTX body shop recommendation - IS350 rear-end collision

Unfortunately, I was involved in a rear-end collision yesterday morning on the North Dallas Toll. I was hit from behind by a Scion Xb. The damage to the IS350 doesn't look that bad, but the insurance claims inspector said that the entire uni-body is tweaked a little, and it will need to be re-straighted. He wasnt sure about the frame, and said that there may be more damage that he cannot see.

Does anyone know of a good body shop in the DFW area where I can take my IS350? Do any of the local Lexus dealerships offer collision repair? I'd really like to find someone who can repair the damage, and possibly work out a deal to have the whole car repainted. (any additional paint expense I would pay out of pocket) 72K hwy miles has taken its toll, and the whole car really needs to be repainted.

Since this was a rear-end collision, the Scion driver's insurance company has claimed full responsibility and will be covering the damages 100%.

BTW, whiplash sux!... Ouch!
Old 03-31-09, 10:34 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sewell body shop has a good rep.
Old 03-31-09, 10:39 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to extreme collision when i jacked my stuff up they did great work the 3x i have used them lol. They do all park places rides i highly reccomend them...
Old 03-31-09, 12:28 PM
Dattt
Lexus Test Driver

Bring it to Sewell Lexus of Dallas! they are the best and more expensive!
Old 03-31-09, 01:15 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

Would say Sewell or Park Place, but the day you drop it off take pictures and have it dated... If you have rims and basically due a walk over with the advisor making sure other areas of the car is flawless... They'll claim hand washing your car, but you'll come out with chips and a few dents...
Old 03-31-09, 04:33 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

J&M is the go to place for William and the 16niss guys. He posted up a review with pictures of the repairs to his daily Rav4.
Old 03-31-09, 04:50 PM
-JDOG-
Lead Lap

Can't go wrong with Sewell of Dallas! Gave me a whole new front end, looks brand new.
Old 03-31-09, 05:15 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

The good part if you take it to a lexus dealer you get all new parts so I would go with the lexus dealer.
Old 03-31-09, 05:45 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

• Only experience with Sewell is indirect on a friend's Tahoe and later his Escalade repairs and paint. They did a magnificent job.
  • I've used Huffines for repair and paint, and they did a great job.
  • Don't forget to explore the possibility of Diminished Value with your insurance company.
Old 03-31-09, 07:22 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
  • Only experience with Sewell is indirect on a friend's Tahoe and later his Escalade repairs and paint. They did a magnificent job.
  • I've used Huffines for repair and paint, and they did a great job.
  • Don't forget to explore the possibility of Diminished Value with your insurance company.
I've successfully gotten additional funds from two different accidents due to diminished value. In both cases I was not at fault in the accident. The big one was in '99 when I was broadsided in my 22 hour old Nissan Maxima SE. I got an additional $2500 out of the insurance company.

What I had to do is go to different dealerships and talk with the used car managers. I asked them how much less my car would be worth to them knowing it had been in an accident. I got their names and contact information and turned that, along with the numbers I was given, into the insurance company.

I'm not the kind of person that tries to take advantage of an insurance company. I know that fraud just drives up the rates for everybody. However, if my car has lost a significant amount of value due to the accident then I would expect the insurance company to step up and cover that loss too assuming I'm not at fault.

Last edited by Cabinetman; 03-31-09 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 06:54 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Matador
J&M is the go to place for William and the 16niss guys. He posted up a review with pictures of the repairs to his daily Rav4.
Yeah Jose repainted my whole RAV4, even though it wasn't paid for by insurance to make sure the paint matched properly. He's done my show car as well as several other show cars. Typically dealerships won't go above and beyond what they're getting paid to do. Yeah they'll do a great job at the repairs and get it back to pre-accident condition. If you want something *extra* like a repaint, aftermarket aero instead of factory parts, etc... it's easier to go through places like J&M.

I'm currently also awaiting a response from insurance on diminished value. I hired an independent inspector/appraiser to assess the amount of diminished value. They estimated $4600. I turned the paperwork in last week and playing the waiting game now.
Old 04-21-09, 08:26 AM
TxRoadkill
Driver School Candidate

Default DO NOT go to Herb's Paint & Body

I took my IS350 to Herbs #5 in Frisco becuase it was close to my house. I WOULD NOT recommend them. I got my car back last week. At first glance it looked okay, but then at lunch I noticed that there was body filler (or wet sanding splatter) all over the back seat, and on the inside of the back door (on the leather). I called Herbs, and they said to just wipe it off with a wet cloth. There was also body filler on the rim and inside the door jams. WTF? Don't these places clean the vehicles before returning them to the customer. I also noticed that they did a REALLY POOR job buffing the spot where they repainted the car. It also looks like they only washed the spot that they repair. You would think that they would at least detail the entire vehicle. You can also see deep swirl scuff marks in the new clear coat. There is also a lot of over spray on the windows and on the roof (like they did not mask the car correctly). VERY VERY sloppy work. I would not recommed Herbs.

I am so disgusted with the repair, that I am now thinking about either getting rid of the car or having it repainted by another shop. I'd like to have the entire car repainted, so that it looks better. 72K highway miles have taken it's toll on the front.

I did find a white ISF that I really like at Park Place Lexus. Maybe it's time to upgrade.
Old 04-21-09, 08:45 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Call your insurance and let an adjuster come out and inspect the vehicle at the shop. Insurance pays to bring a vehicle back to pre-accident conditions, and if that wasn't done the body shop has to re-do repairs.

Should have taken it to J&M. Jose is a perfectionist.
Old 04-21-09, 11:20 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, I get my car back today from sewell. I hope I have a better experience.