North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

NTL Carputer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-09, 09:23 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DangWhat
I am assuming this is going to be no by the age of the computer, your not running SSD are you? Are you booting from usb? Just seems to me using a standard HDD is going to go out rather quickly if the laptop is on alot while car is driving.
Well, this is assuming you're comparing it to a desktop 3.5" HDD. The laptop 2.5" drives are designed for much higher G loading/shock rating. They're also designed in mind for higher allowable constant vibration(basically the conditions you will have on the road). I've known a few people that have built CarPC's with a Shuttle or miniITX configuration which utilized 3.5" HDDs. Two out of three suffered hard disk failure within a few months. As for mine, there's no failure as of yet and I've been running carPC's in all my previous cars for several years. For those of you that know me, I tend to toss the car around corners, so sideways, and do some *cough* heavy acceleration

Anyways, think of it this way. A laptop you can throw/drop onto a bed safely from around 10ft while running! Some can even withstand drop impact from 3ft onto concrete with no failure. Try either of those with a desktop and see what happens
Old 04-29-09, 10:30 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Your suggestions about using a laptop make even more sense when you consider that, if you carefully choose and install your connection points, you can use ANY kind of laptop with the monitor, power inverter, mouse, keyboard, etc.

In other words you're not tied to ONE carputer; you can use your Windows laptop one time and your Mac laptop another time. And when they're old and outdated, you can easily/quickly swap in another.

Plus I realized I have a spare Acer laptop I bought not too long ago.
Old 05-03-09, 03:12 PM
DangWhat
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Well, this is assuming you're comparing it to a desktop 3.5" HDD. The laptop 2.5" drives are designed for much higher G loading/shock rating. They're also designed in mind for higher allowable constant vibration(basically the conditions you will have on the road). I've known a few people that have built CarPC's with a Shuttle or miniITX configuration which utilized 3.5" HDDs. Two out of three suffered hard disk failure within a few months. As for mine, there's no failure as of yet and I've been running carPC's in all my previous cars for several years. For those of you that know me, I tend to toss the car around corners, so sideways, and do some *cough* heavy acceleration

Anyways, think of it this way. A laptop you can throw/drop onto a bed safely from around 10ft while running! Some can even withstand drop impact from 3ft onto concrete with no failure. Try either of those with a desktop and see what happens
No I was comparing it to a standard 2.5 laptop HDD, I would hope no one would ever put a 3.5 in anything that is going to be moving. The 2.5 will degrade over time I was thinking using a good SSD would overall be better in the long run not sure if you ever looked into those the prices are coming down and will be the future of mass storage.
Old 05-03-09, 05:02 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Lightbulb

I don't think there are many who will argue the durability of solid state drives versus spinning disk.
Some will dislike the smaller capacity of solid state at this point though.
I guess the way around that is to keep an iPod or flash drive along with greater capacity to store tunes, videos and pics on.

I've been alternatively considering the "Netbooks" as a computer for the car. They tend to offer a shrinky-dink SSD (4, 8, 12 GB) or an 80-120 GB spinning disk for cheap!

Check out this Lenovo offer. Friggin' cheap. Nice tiny form factor for putting in a car. Pick this, a Carnetix, a monitor, keyboard/mouse and you're rolling quickly.

Would any of you consider this for your carputer?
Old 05-03-09, 09:10 PM
Dattt
Lexus Test Driver

i would love to do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IluSXPOKIU
Old 05-03-09, 09:13 PM
Dattt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
I don't think there are many who will argue the durability of solid state drives versus spinning disk.
Some will dislike the smaller capacity of solid state at this point though.
I guess the way around that is to keep an iPod or flash drive along with greater capacity to store tunes, videos and pics on.

I've been alternatively considering the "Netbooks" as a computer for the car. They tend to offer a shrinky-dink SSD (4, 8, 12 GB) or an 80-120 GB spinning disk for cheap!

Check out this Lenovo offer. Friggin' cheap. Nice tiny form factor for putting in a car. Pick this, a Carnetix, a monitor, keyboard/mouse and you're rolling quickly.

Would any of you consider this for your carputer?
nice scott you found a use for netbooks! haha
Old 05-03-09, 10:24 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DangWhat
No I was comparing it to a standard 2.5 laptop HDD, I would hope no one would ever put a 3.5 in anything that is going to be moving. The 2.5 will degrade over time I was thinking using a good SSD would overall be better in the long run not sure if you ever looked into those the prices are coming down and will be the future of mass storage.
Well, this isn't exactly mission critical or anything lol. So a 2.5" laptop HD is quite sufficient. A 250-320gb drive can be had for less than $100, but that's waaay more storage than you would ever need for a CarPC. 80-100GB drive is sufficient and is dirt cheap at $30-40 a pop. I would care less if it took a crap, not to mention most still have a 3yr warranty. Also, for the CarPC I just have a barebones OS without much software on top. The music, video, games, etc are all stored on my server. If the HD does crash, I can have everything restored and running again within an hour.

Long story short just use a 2.5" laptop HD and it's good enough for a carpc unless you just feel like burning a hole in your pocket and spending $350+ on the same 80gb capacity. That's just my take on it, and so far I haven't had a HD failure.
Old 05-21-09, 07:07 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

hey jeff, few questions for you...

what are you running for power and turn on for the laptop setup you have?
what did you use to mount the screen?
what did you use for audio conversion? external?

i had a fully integrated carputer in my TL, but am thinking about swapping it into the GS... i am trying to plan the project and am looking for alternative set ups...
Old 05-23-09, 07:55 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kamlung
hey jeff, few questions for you...

what are you running for power and turn on for the laptop setup you have?
what did you use to mount the screen?
what did you use for audio conversion? external?

i had a fully integrated carputer in my TL, but am thinking about swapping it into the GS... i am trying to plan the project and am looking for alternative set ups...
1) I have a Carnetix P2140 power supply which also has a built in power controller. It sends a power on and power off signal to the computer as the key is turned on/off.

2) Bought a Metra dash kit. Cut it up and modify it to fit the screen in there. You have to pull the bezel off the LCD and mount the actual screen itself to the frame on the dash kit.

3) I have a Audigy USB sound card on the laptop, hooked up to a 1000w amp sub amp and 600w 4chan. Basically you ditch the stock wiring and amps all together and just run all new wires and amps.
Old 05-23-09, 09:25 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff are you awake early or just havent gone to sleep?
Old 05-23-09, 12:43 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

He never sleeps.