North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

NTL Carputer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 09:04 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NTL Carputer Thread

I'd like to hear about local carputers and the folks who're using/installing them.

Who has a carputer?
  1. JeffTsai
  2. (who else?)
Who plans on implementing a carputer?
What are you looking at for equipment?
  • Power Supply
  • Monitor
  • Computer platform
  • Operating system
  • Applications
  • Navigation
  • Cameras
  • Interface with car audio devices

Old 04-21-09, 01:33 PM
SIGALPHGIO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ummm, i have Navi, an Iphone and a dell Mini PC that stays in my glovebox with an att wireless card... does that count? lol
Old 04-21-09, 07:34 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Pix or it didn't happen.

Here's mine:

Old 04-22-09, 07:32 AM
BSC300TT
Lead Lap

I am putting one in my car and kyles vette this month if you want to hang out and watch or hell I could do all 3 if you needed me to. give me a shout. I have worked with these a little bit and seen quite a few of them.
Old 04-22-09, 08:06 AM
SIGALPHGIO
Rookie

jeff definetley has the carputer game on LOCK... i have a mini that sits in the glove box LOL...

I wanna be like jeff!
Old 04-22-09, 08:15 AM
ravelink69
Driver

just gotta find a way to make my IS navigation into a computer........
Old 04-22-09, 09:38 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

we all want to be like jeff lol...
Old 04-22-09, 04:49 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

um I have a Navi that has a camera and umm controls my AC and ummm controls my radio and ummm is touch screen. Oh and it has bluetooth.
Old 04-22-09, 06:45 PM
DangWhat
Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Pix or it didn't happen.

Here's mine:

Jeff what alarm system is that?
Old 04-28-09, 07:50 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

1.83GHz Mac® mini
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor 1.83GHz
80GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive
Combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive
AirPort Extreme 802.11g wireless network
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
$499.99
before instant savings

LIMIT ONE / IN-STORE ONLY / Price BEFORE $100 instant savings / 854125

I think I've finally found the computer portion of my carputer setup.
I want to try a Mac Mini based system.

Other ingredients:
  • The power supply apparently has to be a Carnetix P1900 or P2140.
  • MacPac power cable kit
  • Mac y-adapter cable
Now I'm just trying to decide on a touchscreen monitor and the mounting scheme. Someone (SC boy?) mounted everything within the confines of his OEM radio. That's pretty tidy and what I'm considering.

But there's also something to be said for keeping the OEM radio (why fix it if it ain't broken?) and having the carputer linked in with it. *Sigh* Decisions, decisions.

[HOLY CRAP!!! -
2000 posts FINALLY!!!! It only took 4 years, eh?
]

Last edited by Slooooooow; 04-28-09 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-28-09, 08:16 AM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure about MACS getting hot or anything, but maybe a shuttle would work. Also I know the guys at Frisco Tint have one in his audi. it is in the trunk gets more air.
Old 04-28-09, 02:00 PM
DangWhat
Driver

Originally Posted by fleadog99
Not sure about MACS getting hot or anything, but maybe a shuttle would work. Also I know the guys at Frisco Tint have one in his audi. it is in the trunk gets more air.
Being in the IT field, best option would probably be get a higher end CPU and underclock it. Get a Zalmans fan, you can even get a software program that does it on demand. I use one for my laptop to conserve battery life it will underclock my CPU at 50% battery life.
Old 04-28-09, 10:17 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Scott, congrats on the 2k posts, now on to the 5k goal

Honestly the best solution would be to get a used laptop, that's what I did in my car. I have a Dell 8600 under the passenger seat hidden away. My reasoning behind using a laptop is due to the nature of the design. It's designed as a compact package, cooing in a small confined spaced is factored for, it has very quick standby and bootup times compared to a desktop, and most of all it's designed in mind to be tossed around. The internal component durability is much higher than your standard off the shelf PC parts when it comes to constant vibration, knocking around, and shock. The packaging and size of a laptop is the best fit for a carPC IMO. I mean you don't have to take my word for it or anythig, but I've been sucessful with my setup for quite a while now

The other reason I used a laptop is because you can get an old 8600 laptop on ebay for around $150-250 range depending on specs. I put the 8600(my old laptop) in the car when I bought my new one...so no serious money lost on my part. I just upgraded the ram and hard drive to 320gb which was about $100. The other benefit of using a commonly found laptop such as a Dell is that if the motherboard fries, you can pick up a replacement on ebay for very cheap. Other latops might cost a fortune to find a replacement board and that's IF you can even find a replacement.
Old 04-28-09, 11:13 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

Great points Jeff, That's why he is the WISE ONE.
Old 04-29-09, 07:00 AM
DangWhat
Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Scott, congrats on the 2k posts, now on to the 5k goal

Honestly the best solution would be to get a used laptop, that's what I did in my car. I have a Dell 8600 under the passenger seat hidden away. My reasoning behind using a laptop is due to the nature of the design. It's designed as a compact package, cooing in a small confined spaced is factored for, it has very quick standby and bootup times compared to a desktop, and most of all it's designed in mind to be tossed around. The internal component durability is much higher than your standard off the shelf PC parts when it comes to constant vibration, knocking around, and shock. The packaging and size of a laptop is the best fit for a carPC IMO. I mean you don't have to take my word for it or anythig, but I've been sucessful with my setup for quite a while now

The other reason I used a laptop is because you can get an old 8600 laptop on ebay for around $150-250 range depending on specs. I put the 8600(my old laptop) in the car when I bought my new one...so no serious money lost on my part. I just upgraded the ram and hard drive to 320gb which was about $100. The other benefit of using a commonly found laptop such as a Dell is that if the motherboard fries, you can pick up a replacement on ebay for very cheap. Other latops might cost a fortune to find a replacement board and that's IF you can even find a replacement.

I am assuming this is going to be no by the age of the computer, your not running SSD are you? Are you booting from usb? Just seems to me using a standard HDD is going to go out rather quickly if the laptop is on alot while car is driving.

Quick Reply: NTL Carputer Thread