North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

I'm thinking about opening up my own business

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09 | 10:20 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default I'm thinking about opening up my own business

I always wanted to own my own business. Just recently, I have the opportunity to do so. I have a 4000sq feet build in SE Houston. I want to start out small and import a few JDM motors, front clips, and some RHD cars. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good supplier/yard or website? Ware looking for a dismantel yard in Asia that supplies companies like Jhot.

Thanks

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 12-05-09 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-06-09 | 08:17 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Not quite that easy. Those guys travel overseas very often, sometimes they make a trip over there as often as every few weeks. They have to jump from yard to yard looking for the best deals and most importantly make sure the engine is in good shape before purchasing. How is your Japanese...fluent I hope? Then after that, you have to arrange a shipping container, freight, insurance, and duty. You can have someone in Japan do it all for you, but don't expect to be making much of a profit after their fees and such. Make sure you have a good amount of money set aside to buy in bulk when you can get good pricing. It's best to have larger purchase orders to get the best pricing. Most of the small engine importers have around $100k minimum in inventory. You will not make much if you import a few here and there, and then if you sell them you have to wait another month or two for the next shipment. Not discouraging you, but just giving you the facts here.
Old 12-06-09 | 01:08 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

Also front clips are illegal to import now...Just FYI. But Jeff covered most of it. Most engine importers are only making 300-500 dollar profits on what they import if even that depending on what they are moving.
Old 12-06-09 | 04:31 PM
ritz
Lead Lap

http://www.japanautodirect.com/stock.cfm?Super=2
Old 12-06-09 | 06:33 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

Distributing cars is just as difficult now also...There are a few people that know loopholes but they will not tell you. RHD cars most of the time will get shipped here BUT they will be shipped back overseas since they are cracking down on things like that. Main reason other countries testing is different from USDM...We are more stringent...Ever ask why you dont see r32 or 34's being legalized ever? Go look at those cars in an accident. Never a pretty site...If I were to even own one of those I would throw a full cage in there.