North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

what's the differences between using stock fan and electric fan on sc300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 11:36 PM
MikeNguyen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the differences between using stock fan and electric fan on sc300?

im planning to change the fan for my sc300. one mechanic said if i use the electric fan i will have more horsepower than use the stock fan with the clutch. what's you guys idea about that? by the way. i have one more question about the cold air intake and short ram for sc300. which one is the best way to use?? thank
Old 01-07-10, 03:04 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

You would have to get a shorter serpentine belt if you're going electric. I would go with the electric. Cold air would be better than Short Ram performance wise, but if this is your daily and you tend to take it out when it rains, I would not recommend it...
Old 01-11-10, 06:48 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dAng_bAy
You would have to get a shorter serpentine belt if you're going electric. I would go with the electric. Cold air would be better than Short Ram performance wise, but if this is your daily and you tend to take it out when it rains, I would not recommend it...
This is wrong. Your serpentine belt length will stay the same. Your stock fan is attached to your water pump pulley which is turned by the belt. Your pump will still need to rotate regardless of what kind of fan setup you have.

On the intake, as long as it is not close to the ground I wouldn't worry about it. If your CAI takes air from where the stock airbox location is, this would be ok.

Having said that, I would still drive slowly over puddles when possible. I, myself do not have any under engine splash guard and my intake is not being shielded by anything. I am paranoid as hell in the rain, but I have driven it during storms and it was ok.

Also... Why post a new thread asking pretty much the same thing!?
Old 01-11-10, 11:43 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

thanks for the lesson...
Old 01-12-10, 12:50 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

If you switch to e-fan make sure that they are shrouded properly. If you just smack them on the radiators and don't shroud them without directing flow, you will actually get worse cooling performance than the stock fans. Improperly setup fans will even cause your car to overheat in the heat of summer when in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 01-12-10, 07:44 AM
MikeNguyen
Driver

thanks for you guys lesson.!!!