North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Need helps as soon as.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 01:55 PM
MikeNguyen
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need helps as soon as.!!!

im planning to change fan for sc300 to be electric fan. does it make my car have more horsepower??(like one guy said). what's difference between original fan and electric fan?? does my car get any problem after use the electric fan?? i need help cause i will change this week..please give me some advice thanks
Old 01-11-10, 06:36 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeNguyen
im planning to change fan for sc300 to be electric fan. does it make my car have more horsepower??(like one guy said). what's difference between original fan and electric fan?? does my car get any problem after use the electric fan?? i need help cause i will change this week..please give me some advice thanks
Well, if you are trying to get horse power, the theory is that adding electric fans will eliminate the parasitic draw on the engine from the stock clutch fan.

But the parasitic draw is only plausible when the clutch fan is engaged, which it is only engaged when it needs to. In other words, if your car is getting sufficient flow through the radiator (such as high speed on the highway) your fan isn't engaged.

If you are trying to increase horsepower it is better to make systems that are always drawing power from the engine into electrical systems. This includes an electric water pump since water is ALWAYS being pumped by it. This reduces engine draw from the water pump to 0, thus freeing up horse power in the engine.

Remember, as well, the function of the fan is to provide the radiator with air flow to keep the engine at operating temperatures. The stock fan does this very well and is very reliable. In my opinion I would say that electric fans do not compare, and it is more noticeable in hotter climates such as the state where I am in.

Although one thing that the electric fans does WAY better then the stock fan is packaging and accessibility to the front of the motor.. It "looks" cleaner, and it provides an easier way for you to visually inspect your pulley's, serpentine belt, and it is one less thing to take off when you do maintenance to pretty much anything from the front.

Will changing to electric fans increase horsepower significantly? I doubt it, maybe a little but i wouldn't expect more than 5. Will it be more efficient cooling wise then the stock fan? I doubt it even more, it might be enough to keep engine temps in check, but reliably? I'm not too sure.

Will it make it look cleaner and easier to work on? Hell yea it will.

As you can see, I have a direct line of sight on everything on the front of the engine. I can change any belt or pulley fairly easy.

This is my car which does have electric fans. So far, it has kept my temps from spiking. This is assuming that my temp gauge is reading correctly. Would be better if I had a temp probe and a numerical water temp gauge.

For horsepower, I would look elsewhere in my opinion.
Old 01-11-10, 12:58 PM
76mmturbo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what fans did you go with
Old 01-11-10, 04:29 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

YEA IM WITH lemmiewink ON THE RELIABILITY ISSUES. LIKE ON MY CAR, I THINK THAT GETTING RID OF THE HYDRAULIC FAN ON THE SC400, WOULD PROBABLY GAIN MORE HP,AND PROBABLY MORE THAT ON THE SC300, BUT FOR WHAT I DO WITH THE CAR, ROAD RACING IN THE SUMMER @ MOTORSPORT RANCH, THERE WOULD BE NO WAY THAT I THINK 2 ELECTRIC FANS WOULD BE ENOUGH TO KEEP IT FROM OVER HEATING, I WAS RUNNING THE TEMP ALL THE WAY TO LINE RIGHT B4 THE RED,AND WOULD HAVE TO BACKOFF FOR 1/4 LAP TO LET IT COME BACK DOWN. IM STAYIN STOCK IN THAT DEPARTMENT. GOOD LUCK

Old 01-12-10, 07:53 AM
MikeNguyen
Driver

i will go with 2 fan both of them are 15"
Old 01-12-10, 07:29 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because of how many openings are on the SC just like the MKIII supras E fans will do there job up to a certain point but a hydro fan will do the job a lot better. It might sap a little hp but it will keep your engine cool at all times. If you have a hydraulic fan I would just keep it for now until it goes out. The hydro fans usually cost an arm and a leg. From my mkIII experiences reading around and seeing other peoples opinions...E fans are a slight issue in traffic on a really hot summer day.