North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Red Light Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 06:37 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Red Light Cameras

For those of you who may have an interest, here's a link to a Texas Tribune article about red light cameras in Texas. They have a very extensive database application so that you can choose to look at the stats and the Google street view by city and intersection. It also lists how many violations have been issued, the total monetary value of the tickets, the number of accidents at the intersection, and more. For some of the intersections they even have the traffic camera...

http://www.texastribune.org/topics/red-light-cameras/
Old 01-15-10, 08:29 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a red light ticket @ green oaks & I20 about 5mo ago. I went to the web site the ticket provides & sure enough I blew it. Well the ticket was $75, but if you dont pay it by the due date, its gonna be a $25 late charge, so now its $100. Well I didnt have the money @ that time, so now its $100. Well I have let it go,and go,and go, lol. They say that if you dont pay it you will not be able to get your car inspected or get your car registered. Well it came time to register my car in DEC, and I thought to myself, ive been getting my car registration @ the court house in Mansfield the last couple of years,soooo, maybe if I go down there, they wont have any record of it cause its Mansfield & not Arlington. It worked they didnt ask me for anything, paid my money & got my sticker. I say F'em, it wont get paid untill they send me to collections, if they do that!
Old 01-15-10, 08:42 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

IMO red light cameras are dangerous especially drivers that do NOT pay attention and when it rains or weather condition gets hairy. The problem is when your driving toward the light and it immediately turns yellow what do you do? You could slam on your brakes and risk the person behind you rear ending you....OR you could run it and risk a ticket...Nowadays you think anyone is gonna risk spending money? Hell no. You get rainy weather the chances of an accident go up 10x. I have had people slam there brakes in front of me just to avoid a red light ticket...With there bumper past the line trying to back up so they wouldnt interfere with the traffic that is crossing...IMO that is BS. Yea in some areas it might help but for the most part I think its useless and a waste of money.
Old 01-15-10, 09:11 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

I agree with NaiL05.

Thanks for posting this, Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. lol
Old 01-16-10, 07:41 AM
JohnnyIS25
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

red light camera are to generate revenue IMO.
Old 01-16-10, 11:11 AM
NAiL05
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnnyIS25
red light camera are to generate revenue IMO.
duh.
Old 01-16-10, 11:33 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

there are iphone apps that show where the cameras are and its pretty accurate./ I'm surprised i havent gotten one yet lol.
Old 01-17-10, 01:16 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

in Desoto, it's crap there. You could be 5 feet from even touching the line and there's a flash right behind you...
Old 01-17-10, 12:59 PM
NAiL05
Instructor

LOL!!! Thats called some ballin calibration lol.
Old 01-21-10, 06:30 AM
ravelink69
Driver

Ive had several of those "Miscalibration" lights flash at me, there is one on mcarther and beltline and another on at PGB and 114 in irving. Both on my daily driving route, flash all the time but I have yet to receive a ticket, its been over 2 years now.
Old 01-28-10, 01:12 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

They always flash and take a picture when the light turns red no matter what. You can be perfectly stopped at the light and the camera will still flash. It does not mean you got a ticket, just normal operating procedure for the camera system.

So if you were really evil and wanted to take advantage of the system. Couldn't you just get a old POS car, install some big brake kit on all 4 wheels and get some super sticky tires. The go around town slamming on all the brakes on a yellow at all the lights with cameras until someone plows into you. Afterwards, you go collecting on insurance/medical/mental distress/etc. money and maybe suing the city for creating a dangerous situation? Then buy another POS car and transfer the BBK over and start the cycle all over again lol...

Not that I would do that or anything, but I can see how someone can take advantage of the system.
Old 01-28-10, 06:21 AM
ravelink69
Driver

nice, never would have thought about that. sounds like a new day job, time to start building red light camera maps.
Old 02-18-10, 10:22 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 429 Likes on 353 Posts

I remember my cousin getting a ticket from one of these cameras a few years back. Couldn't you buy one of those reflective films for your license plate to prevent you from getting a ticket?

Last edited by Kira X; 02-18-10 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Incorrect Puntuation.
Old 02-21-10, 09:58 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The films only work at certain angles(usually wide angles/to the side). Most cameras are mounted pretty far back so it has a pretty straight shot at the plate. It works sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't so don't count on it to save you too much.
Old 02-21-10, 06:53 PM
ritz
Lead Lap

i have a dark LP cover, and it blurs at angles and at a distance its difficult to read.

Quick Reply: Red Light Cameras