North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Question for the locals

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11 | 02:50 PM
GHSER7
Lead Lap

Default Question for the locals

I pretty much finally have a move-in date to an apartment in Coppell. Now, since I'm new out here I have a few questions. Hopefully some of you guys can help.

Florida only had one power company so it was very simple to get it hooked up. Out here, there's seems to be a bunch. What's a good company that isn't too expensive to go for out here?

Also...TV/internet

I've never really been a fan of any type of satellite at all. No matter where I've been that has it, is goes out in bad weather. From what I know though, the complex I'm moving into uses Verizon Fios or Direct tv for the most part. I've never used either and wondering if any of you guys had input/pros&cons to both? I can get Direct TV through Verizon but it's cheaper if i go to them direct.

Then what about internet?!? Verizon has a bundle for that, but if I went with direct TV then I need to find another carrier. Any suggestions on internet or feedback on Verizon's internet?

thanks in advance
Old 05-11-11 | 04:52 PM
Matador
Racer

Verizon fios is pretty much the best internet/tv available (used to have fios). ATT Uverse isnt bad at all (I have uverse bc fios isnt offered here), but wont be offered in the same areas as fios due to their non compete. Ive never been a fan of Direct TV/Dish network type stuff and Time Warner seems to just pick up the stragglers. As for electricity just shop around for who will lock in the lowest rate for the next year; TXU, Reliant, Cirro, Champion, etc.

Last edited by Matador; 05-12-11 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-11-11 | 06:12 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

You'll want Verizon Fios for both your TV/Internet. At least get it for your internet. I've had it for about 4+ years and my parents have had it since they were available here in north Dallas.

Their internet is not the cheapest but it's really fast - don't get their extra movie channels, you'll be better off getting Netflix and streaming it directly to your TV.

Don't forget to get the NFL Network!!!
Old 05-11-11 | 06:24 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

I have att uverse tv, internet, and cell phone. its seems pretty good. had direct tv b4 & i had no problem with it eather. as far as electric company. i went with Direct Energy when i moved into my apt. My credit isnt very good, so they wanted a $400 deposit, well i wasnt going to pay that. so i look at there other program "powertogo". No deposit cause its prepaid. I think its great cause I dont really have a electricity bill. I just put $50.00 on my acct every once in a while. They send me a text message everyday letting me know exactly what ive used that day & how much money i have left & a estimate of how many days i have left. Also its only availible if you have digital meters.
Old 05-12-11 | 05:15 PM
GHSER7
Lead Lap

OK, thanks guys. For some reason I though I had heard Verizon was ****ty and I didn't really wanna have to go with Direct TV if I didn't have to.

Guess shopping for electric it is then....