Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Any dealers in NYC area trade cars for free?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 07:05 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any dealers in NYC area trade cars for free?

I have a 2000 Gs400 w/ 51k Black on Black w/Navigation. I had it for 3 months now and have not done anything to it other than wax and polish the thing to death. I keep feeling as if I should have bought a Silver one. Every time I go out on the road and I see a Silver Gs go by, these thoughts come into my head.

There is something about Silver that appeals to me now. I wasn't thinking of it too much when I bought the car. Maybe cause I drive mostly during the day and evening. The look of a Silver Gs in the twilight hour with HID headlights on and the yellow fogs really looks stunning. Don't get me wrong. Black looks awsome too but I think my personal taste now wants silver. Or maybe once I do get Silver I will want black again. I'm crazy like that.

Anyone in NYC ever go to a dealer and just trade a car with similiar mileage and year for free or just pay maybe less than $1000 to do it? Please let me know

Thanks
Old 11-09-03, 05:11 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those salesmen are always trying to make a buck so I doubt it. Nevertheless, good luck trading her in for your silver bullet!
Old 11-09-03, 07:05 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Please keep in mind, unless you find a dealer that is looking for a black car AND has one in stock that you want, it is going to be tuff to do this type of transaction. At the very least you will have to assume a new loan, and transfer your old one, transfer plates, insurance, etc.

Also, if you cannot transfer loans, you will have to get another loan (which is another credit inquiry, lowers your credit scrore by 3pts on Transunion), etc. Dealers are in the business of making money, so its gonna be VERY hard to find one that does charity trades.

I quality paint change should run you about 4-5k. If your car is really nice, you should consider that, since you would probably lose on trading in a car you just bought (dealers cannot give market value on trade ins, since they have to mark it up)
Old 11-09-03, 09:38 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Derrick and Manny that dealerships are not going to give you the best trade-in value for your car. That's their MO when dealing with trade-ins of customer's cars. It also applies to non-Lexus dealerships selling Lexus vehicles. For example, I looked into trading in my ES for a '98 high-mileage, silver GS seen at a Nissan dealership around here one time, but they're asking too much for the GS and lowballing the value of my ES, so I politely walked out.
Old 11-09-03, 03:25 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

I'm starting like the black now, Its a little hard to take care of but as days go by and more and more people are complimenting my car, it makes you feel good. I had it for 3 months now and the car is starting to bond with me now. I guess after I do a few mods I won't feel like trading it in for another color anymore.

Thanks for your help, guys.