Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Beating a Massachusetts speeding ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 04:08 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beating a Massachusetts speeding ticket!

First off, I really don't think I'm guilty here. I got a ticket for 76mph in a 65mph zone on the mass pike from a speed trap at 7:30am. The officer was hiding behind the guardrails. Here's why I think i'm not guilty. I think it's because I have higher tires than stock (3.5%) and it throws off my speedo, but the judge won't care...

LIDAR at 669 ft can be hard to beat!

Anyone ever try to beat a speeding ticket in Mass? I requested all the info from the state police and I think they are lacking some items. Can anyone help?

I know there are certain steps they must follow (fork tuning)

PM me and I can go over what I have.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 04-01-04, 07:19 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Never got a speeding ticket in Mass., but I had one 2 years ago in CT, going 75 in a 65-mph zone. Of course I pleaded NG in the back of the ticket, mailed it in, and I got a letter back from the traffic court, saying that they automatically dismissed the ticket on account of lack of evidence from the "prosecutor" (I guess at least here in CT, there is some leeway for going 10 mph over the limit). In any case, I never went to court, nor did I pay any fines; I got real lucky that time
Old 04-01-04, 08:13 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a ticket going 75 on a 65 highway in Weymouth. Radar, state trooper, was traveling in a pack of 10 cars, middle lane, not passing, not being passed. He picked me out of the pack, I'm guessing cause I was the tallest (pickup truck, and I think I tapped the brakes a little harder than everyone else--front end dip). I signed the back that I would like a hearing. I get a date four months later in July.
I show up in Quincy court. Couple things I learned of importance.
1. the room is filled with other people doing the same and it moves quickly.
2. it is not heard by a judge......it was a clerk of courts but he had the power.
3. ticketing officer does not have to be present.....he sends his infor forth, and a representative officer presents facts from the officers notes.
4. they go alphabetically so if your name is towards the end, plan on being a while.
5. pay attention to the people that go before you, and watch how they act and what they say. The confident ones with all their facts presented susinctly and quickly usually got the fine reduced to nothing.
6. radar and laser tickets didn't stand a chance.
7. if you don't like the decision, you can have the ticket go to a jury hearing at a later date (that involves a judge, jury, lawyers and all associated costs).

my intent or angle was to find out how precise the radar was that it could pinpoint me out of ten cars all within 3 lanes of traffic. I explained the traffic situation and asked about the sensitivity of the radar. The majestrate/clerk reduced the ticket from $175 to $75. I still got the point on the insurance for the next 3 or 6 years (not sure the duration).

The minimum fine is $75 if not thrown out altogether.

good luck.

steviej
Old 04-02-04, 06:11 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Anyone ever try to beat a speeding ticket in Mass? I requested all the info from the state police and I think they are lacking some items. Can anyone help?
Find a friend on the force lol

Seriously the ebst you can do is go to court and try to fight it.
Good luck
Old 04-08-04, 09:35 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey jbb -- how's it going? If I remember correctly, you came to that meet I had a few years ago, right?

Was it near the end of the month by any chance? I was on Route 3, getting off at exit 27 and went through THREE speed traps -- 1/2 mile before the exit, one on one side of the underpass, one on the other side of the underpass. Quota much?

Well, if you're caught on radar, I think there are a few options.

1) I heard from the daughter of a lowell cop that the police officer needs to have a radar gun pointed at your car while he (or she!) is outside the car. If there were other cars around you, and he's just sitting in his car, then there's a possiblity that he lit up the wrong car or something.
So, in short, see if he was following proper procedure.

2) Say yes, radar doesn't lie, I was going 76 miles an hour, but unfortuately I was under the impression from my history driving on the mass pike (you're not exactly under 25, are you?) that as long as you set your cruise control under 80, that was fine. If this is not the case, and 11 over is too much, I'll follow the speed limit in a stricter fashion in the future. Also throw in something about driving responsibly and so on for good measure if it seems fitting.

You may be surprised but by being a bit more civil and honest about it, one of my friends was let off. I'm sure you know that dressing in a professional fashion and grey hair is a plus -- my father's all grey and gets away with 15 over (I've seen his glove box full of warnings!).

In closing, I was doing 75 on the mass pike this wednesday at 6:30-7:00 PM and I was being passed on either side by car after car -- in state and out, soccer moms and crazy kids. and I went through a speed trap at about 73 without a hitch (the minivan beside me was going faster too)

Good luck, and choose your course of action wisely.

John
Old 04-09-04, 08:02 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by SupraCoup3

2) Say yes, radar doesn't lie, I was going 76 miles an hour, but unfortuately I was under the impression from my history driving on the mass pike (you're not exactly under 25, are you?) that as long as you set your cruise control under 80, that was fine. If this is not the case, and 11 over is too much, I'll follow the speed limit in a stricter fashion in the future. Also throw in something about driving responsibly and so on for good measure if it seems fitting.

This is exactly what I did on my ticket fight. This MAY get your ticket reduced to the minimum $75 and you will still be surcharged on your insurance. Admitting to doing 75 in a posted 65 is admitting that you were speeding......guilty.

steviej
Old 04-09-04, 10:03 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

thanks everyone.
We'll have to see how it works out.
I recieved a copy of the LIDAR calibration certificate. I thought these things were supposed to be tested before and after thier shift. Any one know how that works? They wouldn't send me a copy of the officers training certificate. I thought the public should have access to those records.
Old 04-09-04, 10:12 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
hey jbb -- how's it going? If I remember correctly, you came to that meet I had a few years ago, right?

Was it near the end of the month by any chance? I was on Route 3, getting off at exit 27 and went through THREE speed traps -- 1/2 mile before the exit, one on one side of the underpass, one on the other side of the underpass. Quota much?

John
John,
No, I think we've spoken before, but not in person. At least I can't remember. Yes, the ticket was the end of the month and at shift change. He pulled into the Strurbridge Barracks right after he left me. My ex-marine service didn't get me anywhere either. I haven't seen any speed traps since then. They haven't been out as much.