Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

East Coast SUPER MEET? SE meets NE. 2005? Some thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 09:53 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmmm SRT....DYnos .....im really liking this idea

we need to start making calls

let me know what you need me to do
Old 09-16-04, 09:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

If all you guys in the NoVa, DC, Southern MD area could poke around and see what places other LARGE car clubs (with >100 cars) meet up at & do, that would be appreciated.

Baltimore isn't too bad, but every hour drive we move further north we're going to lose some of our FL and ATL members. Although, I should check mapquest from the Boston area to make sure they aren't too far off either (but not as many hardcore members that would drive/participate as down south).
Old 09-16-04, 10:02 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I like the idea of SRT for part of the event, but honestly the scenery there isn't all that great for taking nice group photos. Very industrial. Once we firm up a bit more on options I'll give Mo a ring.

I used to live less than 10 miles from where SRT is now (in Laurel, MD).... lemme think of other spots somewhat nearby that might be more picturesque. I doubt we'll be able to park all the cars anywhere near a monument in DC these days.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-16-04 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-17-04, 06:03 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am from the Boston area and DC isn't too far for em to drive for a massive meet. Baltimore isn't that bad either so keep us posted up here.
Old 09-17-04, 06:10 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Just bumping up with a copy of TLW's East Coast map

Finding a location 20-30 min outside of DC sounds favorable to me. I've driven to DC before (coming from my home in Connecticut), and it's about 4-5 hrs. I have a friend who lives in Bethesda, MD (about 15 min north of DC), so I'll find some time and ask her about hotels, large parking areas, restaurants, places to chill out, etc.
Old 09-19-04, 05:25 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Dave ..........Mike...........

any more info?
Old 09-22-04, 09:29 AM
LexFather

Originally posted by T.L.W.
Dave ..........Mike...........

any more info?
I didn't even run this past Dave yet at NOPI but WINOII, who has one of the tightest IS 300s around and is an admin at IS.Net came to NOPI. We spoke briefly about an east coast meet and his sister is some big dawg at the flyiest hotel there and we would be VERY GOOD there. I forgot the name of the hotel.

We haven't forgot, things are a little hectic now.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-22-04 at 09:37 AM.

Old 09-29-04, 06:13 PM
PJ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are pics from the recent SRT meet....

http://www.is300.net/forums/showthread.php?t=226479
Old 09-30-04, 05:15 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

The pics of the SRT meet look great, and I like the idea of scoping out the SRT business and doing some dyno runs. However, we may have to consider it for just a small part of the event. We definitely want to branch out to other areas with attractive scenery (e.g. outside of Washington DC, Ocean City MD, Virginia Beach VA, etc.) Also, somewhere where there is a Lexus dealership or two nearby who would be interested in helping out or sponsoring our event would really be ideal.
Old 10-03-04, 07:22 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8
The pics of the SRT meet look great, and I like the idea of scoping out the SRT business and doing some dyno runs. However, we may have to consider it for just a small part of the event. We definitely want to branch out to other areas with attractive scenery (e.g. outside of Washington DC, Ocean City MD, Virginia Beach VA, etc.) Also, somewhere where there is a Lexus dealership or two nearby who would be interested in helping out or sponsoring our event would really be ideal.
i couldn't agree with u more, mayb visiting SRT would b cool but not holding our event there cuz than it would just b another SRT meet. and haveing a bunch of orange building as a background won't b much fun, we'll feel closed in....i liked the stadium idea but i also think if we could find the biggest lexus dealer that could hold us would b good aswell.
Old 10-03-04, 09:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by bluelex
i couldn't agree with u more, mayb visiting SRT would b cool but not holding our event there cuz than it would just b another SRT meet. and haveing a bunch of orange building as a background won't b much fun, we'll feel closed in....i liked the stadium idea but i also think if we could find the biggest lexus dealer that could hold us would b good aswell.
I'd like to start this off planning for 200 cars.

Agree (posted something similar up above). Maybe SRT (assuming Mo is willing to participate) is part of the agenda during the Lexus cruise in the area. How badass would it be to have somebody filming a line of a couple hundred Lexus cruising up the curves of the beltway.

Lexus dealers might be a good idea, but not sure if there are any that are big enough to support the entire event. Any locals want to comment? Anybody got especially good relationships with their DC area dealers?

Other ideas:
Parks along the Potomac that we might be able to reserve with a view of the monuments
Parking areas in a central or well known facility (Fedex field, Kennedy center, etc)
Setting up something in Annapolis or nearby at the bay

Thoughts on timing for this? I'm not totally opposed to summer, but it gets wicked humid and hot in the DC area, plus dealing with a substantial increase in tourists.
Old 10-03-04, 11:30 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys check the supraforums, those guys just had a meet in VA at Great Falls, extremely scenic but there's not much to do there.

However, if it is just a meet where everyone stands around in a parking lot, you wont' get as many people. One of the main reasons that the SRT meets attracts so many people is because SRT always has something to show and the dyno.

If everyone is serious about this, I would recommend a local track (1/4 or road course). If 200 people do show up, we could rent a track out for a whole day at around $10 to $25 a head. We could use the parking area for show cars and for those who are into racing, they can enjoy the track.

Off the top of my head these are the 1/4 mile tracks near or in North Virginia or MD:
Cecil county (north of baltimore, near delaware border)
Capitol (mid point of DC and baltimore)
75&80 (getting closer to DC but still in MD)
MIR (not sure where it is)

And the following are the road courses in VA.
Summit Point (where hyperfest is held every year, the grounds are huge)
VIR (I've never been here)

If we hold a meet at a track, we are more likely going to see more high horsepower cars and anyone can do burnouts without local law enforcement becoming a problem.

If a meet is held at a track, I am almost guaranteed to go even though I am in NY now. My outlook on cars is that they are supposed to move. Standing around in a parking lot looking at stationary cars just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Here is a short clip of the team lexus is300 drifting at summit point .
http://www.teamlexus.com/movies/Jerry_mcgovern_sp.mpeg
what you see in the video is only about 1/4 of the total track. There is also go cart racing somewhere on the grounds. And I think they were building a new track.

Last edited by verylost; 10-03-04 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-03-04, 07:42 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Lexus of Annapolis is almost done building their new dealership. it is located just off of rt. 50E. exit 28 to be exact, about 2 miles before the chesapeak bay bridge. if it were there, we could go to sandy point state park and take some pics with the bridge in the backround. just a thought. 410-266-3330 is the number to the dealership if someone wants to call. The dealership that i work at is right accross the highway, so i can see if i can get any input as to whether they would be interested in hosting a show as part of their grand opening. ill try to get the date that they are opening as well. ill also try to get some pictures of the place.
Old 10-03-04, 07:56 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ki_soarer
Lexus of Annapolis is almost done building their new dealership. it is located just off of rt. 50E. exit 28 to be exact, about 2 miles before the chesapeak bay bridge. if it were there, we could go to sandy point state park and take some pics with the bridge in the backround. just a thought. 410-266-3330 is the number to the dealership if someone wants to call. The dealership that i work at is right accross the highway, so i can see if i can get any input as to whether they would be interested in hosting a show as part of their grand opening. ill try to get the date that they are opening as well. ill also try to get some pictures of the place.
Excellent and very useful info from a MD/VA local

We all value your input, and the only way we can truly see this meet become a reality is if we all work together in this whole she-bang. Please continue to dig more info into this (and esp. look into hotels and lodging options)
Old 10-03-04, 08:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I can probably help with the Annapolis hotels too a bit (I used to live there). Not any that I recall as 'ideal'. Annapolis downtown at the water was recently underwater with the hurricanes, should take that into account. We probably should narrow down our search to a few locations before we go too crazy with the lodging search.

Verylost, I hear you on the activities. We'll want to make sure there are planned events, not just hanging around a parking lot. Not sure about a track event. If we do something like that, we'll need to add an entire layer of cost to this with deposits from attendees, etc. that will drive off some attendance. Renting a track on a weekend day/night (when our meet will need to be) is ususally a bit more difficult. If you want to make some calls and get some info & costs once we settle on a weekend that would be much appreciated.

I think I posted earlier about finding out what other 'large' car clubs have done for meet venues in the area. If anybody has any spare time to do some googling please chip in.

Quick Reply: East Coast SUPER MEET? SE meets NE. 2005? Some thoughts?