Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

East Coast SUPER MEET? SE meets NE. 2005? Some thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-04, 09:32 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I can probably help with the Annapolis hotels too a bit (I used to live there). Not any that I recall as 'ideal'. Annapolis downtown at the water was recently underwater with the hurricanes, should take that into account. We probably should narrow down our search to a few locations before we go too crazy with the lodging search.

Verylost, I hear you on the activities. We'll want to make sure there are planned events, not just hanging around a parking lot. Not sure about a track event. If we do something like that, we'll need to add an entire layer of cost to this with deposits from attendees, etc. that will drive off some attendance. Renting a track on a weekend day/night (when our meet will need to be) is ususally a bit more difficult. If you want to make some calls and get some info & costs once we settle on a weekend that would be much appreciated.

I think I posted earlier about finding out what other 'large' car clubs have done for meet venues in the area. If anybody has any spare time to do some googling please chip in.
I agree that it could get expensive if we rent a track, but going by your 200 attendee number, costs should be minimized. I know that we could probably rent out one of the 1/4 mile tracks more easily since they only have test and tunes during saturday and sometimes bracket racing. Plans would have to be made ahead so that it wouldn't conflict with the tracks racing schedule. Unfortunately, I can't help more with this event other than making suggestions since med school is taking up most of my time.

Of the meets that I have been at, the larger ones usually revolved a shop or some local organization. If I were to classify meets, I would put them into 3 categories, shop centered, organization centered, and forum centered.

The shop centered ones are like the SRT meets and a local rx7 meet I have been at. Both meets had a bbq and a dyno event.
The organization meet is something like the car show event that University of MD, College Park sets up twice a year. The school gives the club a parking lot to use for a day and the club invites everyone in the area. Another example is hyperfest, which isn't 100% local but was organized with local area drifters.
And then there are forum events like the ones we have here. We set up a date and place and organize some very minimal events like food.

If you are really planning something in the 200's, it is going to be very difficult to do long distance. I think the easiest way to pull this off is to do it conjunction with another organization. CL might be able to use Hyperfest as a meeting ground. This way the organizers can take care of costs. All we need to do is inform them that we are going to have 200 cars show up which they may or may not like.

The grounds are scenic. There is something for everyone to do or watch (car show, dyno, drifting, road racing, bikini contest, car flipping) and there is food on the grounds for members to purchase. Team Lexus has also made an appearance 2 years in a row so at gives us even more of a reason to be there.
Old 10-04-04, 11:36 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just spoke with one of the managers of lexus of annapolis, and they will be knocking down the building next to their new one for parking. i told him we are shooting for about 200 cars, sometime either in the spring or fall of next year. we may be able to eliminate cost by using it to their promotional advantage. he is very willing to work with us, but we need more details. keep me posted.
Old 10-04-04, 12:43 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

soarer, that's very good news that the dealership in Annapolis is aware and in some support for the event. We're definitely going to keep this on our table, and after the NE EOS meet we just had this past Sunday, I will focus more of my attention and planning on this important and ground-breaking event
Old 10-04-04, 11:52 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8

ground-breaking event
this would put the cali crew to shame!!!!

Last edited by varcity64; 10-04-04 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-05-04, 07:01 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i like daves idea of N.C better
Old 10-05-04, 08:01 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking hah louisville

a may meet at the kentucky derby, lots of areas for 2oo cars
Old 10-05-04, 09:05 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Wow the derby would be siiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.
Firballs you a handicapper??????
Old 10-07-04, 10:34 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ya the derby sounds like a great idea but may is just to early late august mayb so its not so hot
Old 10-10-04, 08:49 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Default Event choices

OK I've gone back and read thru all the posts from the previous 4-5 pages, and here's what has been discussed for potential plans for this meet:

- Have a Lexus meet for 1 day, say Saturday (possibly use the parking lot right next to Lexus of Annapolis).
- At the meet, we could have sponsors from XM satellite, local radio/TV stations, food/drink vendors, etc. Consider product donations from any Lexus/Toyota dealerships for raffles.
- On Sunday, there are a few choices we could do:
1) Have some sort of track or autocross event planned (i.e. work something out with the Washington DC division of the SCCA).
2) Plan a 15-20 mile beach or scenic drive somewhere in MD/VA (car washes and gas stations should be available too).
3) Meet up at SRT in College Park, MD for a welcome gathering and dyno runs for those who are in favor.

IMO I think Sunday can work out if we do either 1) or both 2) and 3), since the former choice could take up a major part of the day, and I can see the leisure drive event taking up from morning till early afternoon, we stop for lunch somewhere, and then go to SRT to finish it off.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-10-04, 09:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I think 'major' events on two days may be too aggressive and we'll lose a lot of folks on Sunday for their return trips. When we do the Dragon meet (where just about EVERYBODY drives 4 - 12 hours) we typically plan it over a long three day weekend.

Drive in on Friday
Informal meetup and dinner on Friday evening, meet sign in
Smaller group events on Saturday AM (clinics, etc) and continue sign in
Large group event (s) starting on Saturday late morning which allows folks who want to 'day trip' to get there.
Planned group dinner / evening hang outs. Some that have longest drive may leave that PM
Sunday AM smaller group events again or group breakfast. After lunch, most folks will head back home.

We'll get smaller attendance on both days if we try to break it into too many events. Many folks (because of their jobs) will want to come just for the weekend, arriving late Friday or early Saturday and head back Sunday AM.

Maybe we setup optional group events on Sunday at a track, but not rent out the entire thing. I think we'll probably get more interest in a 1/4 mile track event with the high HP folks, and IMO it's safer / less wear and tear on the cars.

Just think we need to be aware of the drive that many members are going to have to make to come to this event and keep our eye on the main meet day to make sure all the details are nailed. Then plan the periphery stuff, but make them more optional events for those folks who may not want to attend (or may not be as big a draw / as exciting for some).

To build on the event with the sponors, etc, I'd almost like to see if we can't do a 'real' Lexus-specific car show event and get some judges in to score our cars (please chime in with thoughts on this). Classes for each model, some specialty classes too. Then maybe do an area drive up to SRT (Mo willing) to check out some HP stuff and have a dyno competition. Would like to get some professional video on this too if anyone has hookups on that sort of stuff.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-10-04 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 09:45 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DaveGS4
We'll get smaller attendance on both days if we try to break it into too many events. Many folks (because of their jobs) will want to come just for the weekend, arriving late Friday or early Saturday and head back Sunday AM.
That's perfectly understandable. It would be in the best interest for everyone if we have a select few event(s) planned on Saturday, and some "optional" ones on Sunday (since that's when the majority of us will start driving back home).
Maybe we setup optional group events on Sunday at a track, but not rent out the entire thing. I think we'll probably get more interest in a 1/4 mile track event with the high HP folks, and IMO it's safer / less wear and tear on the cars.
I like the idea of using a 1/4-mile track on a Sunday since we have done a similar event like it in the NE last year, but we want to make sure we don't clash with a heavy load of other regular competitors. That will mean a lot of waiting time, and not much chance for any of us to do the 1/4-mile runs as much as we had planned. Still, I can see the 1/4-mile event happening for us on a Sunday.
To build on the event with the sponors, etc, I'd almost like to see if we can't do a 'real' Lexus-specific car show event and get some judges in to score our cars (please chime in with thoughts on this). Classes for each model, some specialty classes too. Then maybe do an area drive up to SRT (Mo willing) to check out some HP stuff and have a dyno competition. Would like to get some professional video on this too if anyone has hookups on that sort of stuff.
Dave, I think you meant "To build on the event with the sponsors, I'd almost like to see if we can do a Lexus car show event..." I'm in favor of the idea of having our own judging competition based on classes like best GS, best SC, best IS, etc. etc. Maybe include an exhaust competition like the NorCal guys did in their annual meet recently (that would be hot)

It sounds like from one of the previous posts that Lexus of Annapolis have listened to our pre-pitch plan of this event and like to know more details, so if we can nail down on all the specifics and can come to a final agreement (amongst us and LOA), we could look at using that dealership as our bolster for the majority of Saturday's events

Everyone, please add in your thoughts on everything we've talked about if you can.
Old 10-11-04, 12:04 PM
PJ
Lead Lap

Just for some other choices. In the DC area there are a couple more Lexus dealers. Pohanka Lexus(VA), Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria (VA), Lexus of Rockville (MD). Maybe we can get in touch with one of them as well.
Old 10-12-04, 03:20 PM
LexFather

Wow, looking good so far. I am going to get on the ball and ***** the web up looking for places/ideas/etc...

http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/indexnew.asp

The city of Richmond's site...Bush Gardens is there....

Looing at several Washington websites, it is hard to grasp where to put a meet. Since so many cars will be there, we need a good route to and from the meet/show place(s) etc. Very tough for us out of towners.

Lexus dealer support would be great. I don't want to drive 10 hours to go to a Lexus dealer that looks just like the one here. I think we would prefer some scenery. A park maybe?

I love the awards idea.

http://www.fwash.com/news/new-trwelc.html

Ferrari Track Day. Seems to be in West VA next weekend.

The Scions meet at a park next week in D.C
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...HD0oxD7w%3d%3d

Here is the park
http://www.mc-mncppc.org/trails/black_hill.shtm

Seems they will be playing volleyball, wiffle ball etc etc...

Last edited by LexFather; 10-12-04 at 04:07 PM.

Old 10-12-04, 04:29 PM
LexFather

http://www.mirdrag.com/directions.htm

Maryland Intenational Speedway

Old 10-12-04, 05:18 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so

what is the basic plan

and what do you need some of us to do

Quick Reply: East Coast SUPER MEET? SE meets NE. 2005? Some thoughts?